The Vikings could end up with the #1 pick

Uncle Buck

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

If you were the owner of the team, what would you have done differently over the last 40 years?

That is the tough situation for me.  Every team makes some errors.  But by and large, I don't think the Vikings have made many egregious errors.  For what ever reason, things just haven't worked out in their favor.  Even the Herschel Walker trade, didn't the Vikings win the Central for the next 2-3 seasons? 

Perhaps the problem is that the vikings go all-in too early?

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 9:29 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

That is the tough situation for me.  Every team makes some errors.  But by and large, I don't think the Vikings have made many egregious errors.  For what ever reason, things just haven't worked out in their favor.  Even the Herschel Walker trade, didn't the Vikings win the Central for the next 2-3 seasons? 

Perhaps the problem is that the vikings go all-in too early?

I actually liked the Herschel Walker trade.  The price was way too high, but at the time, it was exciting to finally have a marquis running back on our team.  We had never had that.  Chuck Foreman was good, but he wasn't as exciting to watch as Herschel could be if he was at the top of his game. 

As for the rest of it, every team has their share of good and bad breaks.  It just seems like the Vikings haven't had the right ones at the right time for everything to come together for them.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:29 PM, CWood21 said:

Not sign Kirk Cousins.  That's a start.

But what were the options on that one? I get it, he didn't work out, but should they have kept Case Keenum? That good year for Case Keenum was well below the standard Kirk Cousins season.  They just had a 13-3 season, and lost in the NFCC.  Adding Cousins was a good move.  The contract, I don't like so much.  But that team was poised to make a run, and it really needed a better QB.  And it just didn't work.  At the time though, what was their best option?

• Like 2

7-9 is perfect for them. The understanding that overall, they are losers, but get the least amount of draft capital possible. I wish Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit would finish 7-9 every season.

Without looking it up, I feel like the Jets, Dolphins and Bills probably finished 7-9 every year Brady was in New England. I want GB to get that level of good fortune.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:06 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

But what were the options on that one? I get it, he didn't work out, but should they have kept Case Keenum? That good year for Case Keenum was well below the standard Kirk Cousins season.  They just had a 13-3 season, and lost in the NFCC.  Adding Cousins was a good move.  The contract, I don't like so much.  But that team was poised to make a run, and it really needed a better QB.  And it just didn't work.  At the time though, what was their best option?

I wanted to keep Bridgewater. With our O-line he seemed to be a better fit. Him and Keenum could make plays outside the pocket and avoid the rush a lot better than Kirk. The extra money could've been used elsewhere. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moss_is_1 said:

I wanted to keep Bridgewater. With our O-line he seemed to be a better fit. Him and Keenum could make plays outside the pocket and avoid the rush a lot better than Kirk. The extra money could've been used elsewhere. 

But what do you do in 2018? Bridgewater missed that entire season.  Re-sign Keenum and hope for the best? Keenum threw for fewer TDs and doubled his INTs in 2018.  It was for Denver, but nothing in Keenum's history suggests that his 2017 was not his high mark, and that was what was holding the Vikings back.