GDT 9/28/2020 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

looked like it too. Except he played worse (as did everyone). We complain about not running the ball, but that means we’re letting our MVP QB who we’re going to pay 40M a year to throw the ball. If we’re complaining about that, what does that say about what we think about Lamar when push comes to shove. Every single time the Chiefs ran the ball I had a sigh of relief. We put the ball in our best players hand and we complain. Now I fully believe he's capable of carrying the load, but for some reason this team/him pees down their legs sometimes and I can't explain it besides it being a mental thing.

also Duverney needs to play more. 

Edited by M.10.E

So man, the only place that overreacted more than NFL Gen was Reddit:

• Gus Edwards should be RB1
  • We should sign Antonio Brown
  • Greg Roman should be fired
  • All enthusiasm for this team is lost

Like...wow....

Here's the snap counts from last night:

Things that stick out:

1. JK getting the most snaps at RB, but I never saw us once try to get him the ball in space except for that one weird option play, where he got us a first down.
  2. Judon playing 75% of defensive snaps but making exactly zero impact once again. Bowser plays 51% and is significantly more noticeable on the field.
  3. Gus got 13 snaps and was very effective

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

1. JK getting the most snaps at RB, but I never saw us once try to get him the ball in space except for that one weird option play, where he got us a first down.
  2. Judon playing 75% of defensive snaps but making exactly zero impact once again. Bowser plays 51% and is significantly more noticeable on the field.
  3. Gus got 13 snaps and was very effective

I'd like us to get ANY of our players the ball in space that isn't a WR screen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M.10.E said:

looked like it too. Except he played worse (as did everyone). We complain about not running the ball, but that means we’re letting our MVP QB who we’re going to pay 40M a year to throw the ball. If we’re complaining about that, what does that say about what we think about Lamar when push comes to shove. Every single time the Chiefs ran the ball I had a sigh of relief. We put the ball in our best players hand and we complain. Now I fully believe he's capable of carrying the load, but for some reason this team/him pees down their legs sometimes and I can't explain it besides it being a mental thing.

also Duverney needs to play more.

For me it says that our OL is a top 10-12 squad at run blocking; 3 top 30 (or so) NFL RBs at our disposal; and arguably the best running QB of all time.

While conversely without Yanda, we have a bottom 5-10 pass blocking OL; a TE as our best receiver that disappears for whole entire games, an OC that can’t scheme receivers open for easy looks, and a QB that is a rhythm pocket passer like Derek Carr. Lamar needs a pocket to step into and when he does, he’s deadly as a decision maker.

The Chiefs and Titans both have premier IDL to destroy that pocket and just play rush contain. It’s why the Chargers defense also isn’t a good matchup for our offense.

So until this team improves the pass blocking nature of the OL especially, we will have to clamor for the run game. If Lamar wasn’t back there to force teams to play rush contain, this OL is likely a bottom 5 pass blocking unit. Everyone except Stanley struggles in pass protection. Brown Jr particularly seems slower than last season and is looking like an absolute turn style early this season.

I don't disagree with any of that, but if Lamar is who we think he is and how we're going to pay him, he needs to do better. Whether that's just settling down in the pocket or making the easy throws, he seems to let those get into his head sometimes. He looks visibly rattled which you can't have your QB doing. Yes I know he was let down by his teammates at some points, but that doesn't excuse it. 

I understand that this is a very high bar I'm setting, but this is where we are with this team now.

Sidenote, where were some of the routes we were running against Cleveland. No comebacks, hitches, outs etc. Everything seemed to just be routes over the middle which KC just sat on.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

Lamar missed throws he can't. Andrews dropped balls he can't. There were multiple coverage breakdowns on our end and other defensive errors. Our coaches weren't up to par. When one of these things occur, we can overcome. When all of them are kicking? It's a guaranteed loss when you're going up against the Chiefs.

It's a total loss this team needs to own and learn from. 

Weirdly I think this loss might actually make playing the Chiefs easier next time for the team. As expectations will be so lowered, thus removing a lot of the nerves.

• Like 2

What easy throws did Lamar have that he missed? I don't recall many, or any. They were playing straight man coverage across the board most of the time and there was literally nothing open to throw to.

Contrast that with Mahomes who rarely even needed a second read in order to hit a guy with 5 yards of space between him and the nearest defender on every play.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What easy throws did Lamar have that he missed? I don't recall many, or any. They were playing straight man coverage across the board most of the time and there was literally nothing open to throw to.

Off the top of my head, both Hollywood Brown throws. One was a tough deep ball and the other was the layup he cannot miss. There are probably a couple other ones but I can't recall right now. There's also the issue of him just panicking in the pocket and bringing his eyes down (yes, he was getting pressured but you still can't do that).

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Slant to Andrews and possible TD to Hollywood stick out.

Just now, DreamKid said:

Slant to Andrews and possible TD to Hollywood stick out.

I must've missed those ones while I was multi-tasking last night. I didn't see him miss any gimme throws. 

In the end, I think we just need to be better at scheming guys open and giving our playmakers the ball in space with room to run, period. If we can figure that out, we'll be fine.

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I must've missed those ones while I was multi-tasking last night. I didn't see him miss any gimme throws. 

In the end, I think we just need to be better at scheming guys open and giving our playmakers the ball in space with room to run, period. If we can figure that out, we'll be fine.

I think his pocket presence or lack there of is more concerning than his throws at this point this year.

Don't disagree on point 2.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

There were two times when Brown had a couple steps and was free running down the sideline, Lamar missed both throws. They aren't gimme throws, but he has to connect on them sometimes.

Rewatching the offense, it is clear that KC had absolutely no respect for the deep pass. They were usually in single high safety, and the safety was jumping intermediate passes over the middle all game. 

The LBs and CBs played the receivers tight, as if they had help over the top even though they didn't.