GDT 9/28/2020 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

This hissy fit everyone is throwing over a week 3 game is pretty ridiculous. This wasn't a playoff game. This wasn't a game that "mattered" any more than losing week 3 against the Chiefs last year did. Our SB teams had bad regular season games. The 12 team got embarassed by the Broncos.

We had a game where the offense and defense both played poorly. They are both good units. Hopefully we get to play the CHiefs again and one or both show up better. It's a long season, so I hope we get the chance. I never cared much about the bye and homefield is nothing this year.

I agree with everything except for this not being a game that mattered or mattering no more than the loss last year did.

Given the expanded play-offs and the fact that the #2 seed doesn't get a bye in the play-offs any more - every game against teams that are challenging for a top seed in the conference matters more than it used to.

The rate at which teams with a bye make the play-offs would suggest it means something. If you want to argue that that is just because good teams get the bye and are inherently more likely to make the play-offs, I guess we'll begin to find out in the next few years if that's true 

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Hey guys guess what? Because of this game, Lamar is no longer even a good QB, according to NFLGen. He's not a good passer, never been a dominant player and is completely overrated.

Man I hate this place sometimes.

We already knew Lamar's the only QB who is not allowed to have a bad game. He's always one bad game away from being a gimmick to them. 

Lotta real things to work on and legitimate warning signs that need to get fixed... but no doubt social media and the TV blowhards are gonna blow this into overdrive. 

Everyone take a breath. It’s week 3 and a hall of fame offensive mind just picked on our young defence. That can happen sometimes..

And anyone jumping on Lamar after this is just a hater who’s been waiting for him to have an off day. Guess what, he’s younger than the first overall pick from this past draft and has already won MVP, and guided this team to an .750+ win pct.

It’s a long season and with luck we will see them in the playoffs. Relax — I’m just bummed i didn’t see the fireworks I wanted 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

Takeways

• Greg Roman is trash
  • They kinda still hate my mans Gus Edwards, but it was too late by time they gave him the ball
  • O-line is complete garbage and owe LJ8 an apology
  • Defensive execution was atrocious and I bet not see one of them on social media this week
  • Wink made adjustments way too late
  • LJ8 and Andrews are kinda showing certain games are too big for them, but I think they can and will bounce back
  • Judon owes the Ravens 16 million dollars and I'll take him to BWI myself after the season is over

We loss to the defending champions. I'm not too upset about it. Angry how the showing went, but had this as a possible loss anyway.  Now the Ravens need to bounce back against Washington and the turnover machine that Haskin showed to be against the Clowns last week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drd23 said:

The rate at which teams with a bye make the play-offs would suggest it means something. If you want to argue that that is just because good teams get the bye and are inherently more likely to make the play-offs, I guess we'll begin to find out in the next few years if that's true 

A bye is like a playoff win, so it's certainly nice. It is far too soon to say that game decided a bye, though it significantly hurts our chances. A bye is still a thing that only 1/16 teams get. Like the effort of being on edge a whole season for that carrot isn't worth it to me, as an observer. One that historically hasn't done much for our team.

Edited by wackywabbit

Outside of Lamar which is gonna get beaten to death anyways... obviously so many bad performances to pick from but Mark Andrews, Marcus Peters, Matt Judon, Ronnie Stanley, and Zeus Jr. deserve special attention for some of the worst football I've seen out of them collectively. Well maybe not in Judon's case, but the fact that he looked like what feels like the usual Judon  is a huge problem in its own right. 

Remember when everyone was prematurely getting mad about Anthony Averett being the reason we were gonna lose... ahhhhh simpler times. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

This hissy fit everyone is throwing over a week 3 game is pretty ridiculous. This wasn't a playoff game. This wasn't a game that "mattered" any more than losing week 3 against the Chiefs last year did. Our SB teams had bad regular season games. The 12 team got embarassed by the Broncos.

We had a game where the offense and defense both played poorly. They are both good units. Hopefully we get to play the CHiefs again and one or both show up better. It's a long season, so I hope we get the chance. I never cared much about the bye and homefield is nothing this year.

It’s not a hissy fit. This team has proven that it’s current construction cannot endure against the Chiefs time and time again. Our best bet at this point is hoping some other team eliminates them before we get a chance to play them.

OR making a move to better our pass rush. I don’t blame Wink. Too many young inexperienced defenders (Queen, Harrison, Elliot) to really keep up with the Chiefs complex scheme. So from that perspective, this was good experience for those guys.

On the other hand the best chance we have against Mahomes is simply playing press man with two deep safeties, but that requires a pass rush that can get home and Judon is just not a useful player. He’s been worse this season than any season to date. This isn’t an overreaction, it’s been in every game this season that he’s been called out.

The OL getting abused again isn’t an overreaction, it’s been every game this season in some way, shape, or form. They then compile that by committing key penalties to kill drives even more.

So this isn’t a sky is falling reaction. This is a we don’t have enough talent to beat the Chiefs reaction.

The only upside is Madubuike didn’t play in this game and any progression from him via inside pass pressure could prove to be a trump card in any next possible matchup with the Chiefs.

But make no mistake, EDC needs to be active in trying to figure out ways to improve this football team’s pass rush (the OL will likely have to make due) because if we think we’re going to beat Big Ben and Mahomes come playoff time with this pass rush unit, we’ve got another thing coming. That’s naïveté.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

A bye is like a playoff win, so it's certainly nice. It is far too soon to say that game decided a bye, though it significantly hurts our chances. A bye is still a thing that only 1/16 teams get. Like the effort of being on edge a whole season for that one game for that carrot. One that historically hasn't done much for our team.

If we don't get the bye that's fine. Give Lamar and this team a 5, 6 or 7 seed in the first round so they can get an easier playoff win and build momentum.

Honesty the idea of going 14-2, getting the 1 seed, and playing a hot playoff team off a win is more scary than getting the worst playoff team in the conference. Better getting those playoff reps vs a worse team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

It’s not a hissy fit. This team has proven that it’s current construction cannot endure against the Chiefs time and time again. Our best bet at this point is hoping some other team eliminates them before we get a chance to play them.

OR making a move to better our pass rush. I don’t blame Wink. Too many young inexperienced defenders (Queen, Harrison, Elliot) to really keep up with the Chiefs complex scheme. So from that perspective, this was good experience for those guys.

On the other hand the best chance we have against Mahomes is simply playing press man with two deep safeties, but that requires a pass rush that can get home and Judon is just not a useful player. He’s been worse this season than any season to date. This isn’t an overreaction, it’s been in every game this season that he’s been called out.

The OL getting abused again isn’t an overreaction, it’s been every game this season in some way, shape, or form. They then compile that by committing key penalties to kill drives even more.

So this isn’t a sky is falling reaction. This is a we don’t have enough talent to beat the Chiefs reaction.

The only upside is Madubuike didn’t play in this game and any progression from him via inside pass pressure could prove to be a trump card in any next possible matchup with the Chiefs.

But make no mistake, EDC needs to be active in trying to figure out ways to improve this football team’s pass rush (the OL will likely have to make due) because if we think we’re going to beat Big Ben and Mahomes come playoff time with this pass rush unit, we’ve got another thing coming. That’s naïveté.

I don't think every criticism is a "hissy fit", just the sky is falling reactions. And the talk downplaying every win in the past and the coming future matchups as not "mattering" but the ones that are losses "mattering". I'll take 5-1, so the next 3 weeks matter to me.

The line hasn't looked good for 3 weeks, so that is definitely a concern for me, probably my biggest. Bowser looks better than any rusher we had last year, but Judon has been worse, and is blowing a lot of plays. 

I also don't believe in the idea that teams can't beat certain teams. Each matchup is a game we can win, if the team has enough strengths. Like the 18 team played the Chiefs better than their talent should have. Lamar and the offense need to play better to beat Pat. Or the defense needs a great game, it can happen. I think there are defensive tweaks we can make, outside a major talent injection. I wanted Clowney too, but we can't have him THIS year. We beat Russell with a similar team (in a game that didn't matter I'm sure).

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

If we don't get the bye that's fine. Give Lamar and this team a 5, 6 or 7 seed in the first round so they can get an easier playoff win and build momentum.

Honesty the idea of going 14-2, getting the 1 seed, and playing a hot playoff team off a win is more scary than getting the worst playoff team in the conference. Better getting those playoff reps vs a worse team. 

Agreed. I don’t mind not getting that #1 seed. This isn’t the type of squad you want to get out of a rhythm. Plus I’d love for Lamar to go win 4 straight playoff games to completely shut up all the haters. I mean if he does and Mahomes goes 1 and done... same playoff record. 😂

What I don’t like however is how completely ineffective our pass rush is. Bowser and Campbell are the only defenders worth their salt on that front. We need at least one other guy. Judon has proven he’s not that guy in the slightest. This is essentially a contract year for him to PROVE without a shadow of a doubt that he’s THAT dude... and he has regressed.

I don’t mind losing. But losing where our OL gets dominated and we can’t apply pressure on the passer... are things we’ve seen a variation of all season and they’re also things you can’t do and expect to win playoff games.

Positive takeaways though are that Bowser is proving to me that he’s worth giving an extension to right away. He’s a player. He might not be an elite pass rusher, but he’s a good player. He was all over the field this game. 

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Agreed. I don’t mind not getting that #1 seed. This isn’t the type of squad you want to get out of a rhythm. Plus I’d love for Lamar to go win 4 straight playoff games to completely shut up all the haters. I mean if he does and Mahomes goes 1 and done... same playoff record. 😂

What I don’t like however is how completely ineffective our pass rush is. Bowser and Campbell are the only defenders worth their salt on that front. We need at least one other guy. Judon has proven he’s not that guy in the slightest. This is essentially a contract year for him to PROVE without a shadow of a doubt that he’s THAT dude... and he has regressed.

I don’t mind losing. But losing where our OL gets dominated and we can’t apply pressure on the passer... are things we’ve seen a variation of all season and they’re also things you can’t do and expect to win playoff games.

Positive takeaways though are that Bowser is proving to me that he’s worth giving an extension to right away. He’s a player. He might not be an elite pass rusher, but he’s a good player. He was all over the field this game. 

I agree I think this team needs more diverse ways of rushing the passer.

One thing Belichick does well is coach his pass rushers to slowly circle the QB, rather than send a bunch of exotic blitzes. He usually doesn't have a great pass rusher on the team, but the players are coached to work together to pressure the QB.

It seems like Wink's scheme is designed to surprise the OL. But against a coach as good as Reid, it just doesn't work at all. We just have 5 guys with no discipline trying to make moves against OL except they aren't good at winning 1 on 1 matchups. Then Mahomes gets huge lanes to escape the pocket and run around. 

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't think every criticism is a "hissy fit", just the sky is falling reactions. And the talk downplaying every win in the past and the coming future matchups as not "mattering" but the ones that are losses "mattering". I'll take 5-1, so the next 3 weeks matter to me.

The line hasn't looked good for 3 weeks, so that is definitely a concern for me, probably my biggest. Bowser looks better than any rusher we had last year, but Judon has been worse, and is blowing a lot of plays. 

I also don't believe in the idea that teams can't beat certain teams. Each matchup is a game we can win, if the team has enough strengths. Like the 18 team played the Chiefs better than their talent should have. Lamar and the offense need to play better to beat Pat. Or the defense needs a great game, it can happen. I think there are defensive tweaks we can make, outside a major talent injection. I wanted Clowney too, but we can't have him THIS year. We beat Russell with a similar team (in a game that didn't matter I'm sure).

I can agree with this. I must’ve misinterpreted what you meant in your take. My bad. But yeah, agree with Bowser.

I do disagree with the matchups angle. I’m a big believer in matchups. Certain teams matching up well against specific teams for serious strategic advantages, but I can agree with most everything there.