2021 Draft Thread

John232

17 hours ago, Melbourne 9er said:

I'd look at either Ryans or Morris if they are even close to Quinn, due to new rule put in by the league. If you can get a minority Co-ordinator in, who will be good enough to get a head coaching job, then you do so for the compensation. It's a genius rule for minorities to get the co-ordinator jobs, as teams will be more likely to pick them up as co-ordinators in the hope of getting a 3rd round comp pick if they are good enough to get a head coaching job. Unfortunately there is still no incentive to give the HC job to a minority but you have to start somewhere.

I agree, I think the Ryans hire would really hinge of which defensive coaches stick around and which ones Saleh takes with him, especially retaining our D-line coaches. If we can keep the defensive coaching staff together, I think Ryans would be a solid pick.

IF Saleh robs our defensive coaching staff, I would lean more towards Morris, simply because Ryan's would be new to the role and have to add to the coaching staff, where as Morris probably has all the guys he wants to come in. I think a defense starting from scratch would be better built by Morris........he also would improve our secondary, or put emphasis on it

49ers

Zach Wilson

QB, BYU

TRADE: San Francisco trades 2021 1st & 2nd round picks, 2022 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks & 2023 3rd round pick to New York (Jets) for No. 2 overall

The 49ers make a big splash. The Jets make a shocking move. Welcome to pandemonium, everyone!

The inspiration for this trade was the Los Angeles Rams' trade for Jared Goff in 2016, when the Rams gave up two 1s, two 2s and two 3s to move up from No. 16 overall.

Why would the Jets do this deal? Because the price San Francisco is paying makes it worthwhile for a team that is nowhere close to contention and must be honest with themselves about that unfortunate reality. The Jets don't need to look any further than inside the division for two examples of teams admitting they're not ready to take on a new quarterback and instead coveting NFL draft capital to spike a rebuild. The Bills tore down their roster and ended up overachieving to the point where they needed to use their pick surplus to "go get their guy" in Josh Allen. Working out pretty well, no? And in Miami, the Dolphins were panned for shredding their roster just 20 months ago—and with their surplus of picks, Miami engineered a two-year turnaround that has them with a winning record in 2020 and a rookie quarterback in Year 2 of the rebuild in Tua Tagovailoa. The Jets would have more flexibility than either of them moving forward with this trade down paired with the Jamal Adams trade and the Jets' pick surplus.

You aren't one year away, New York, so take advantage of this situation to craft a roster embarrassingly full of talent. For San Francisco, this move makes sense as well. The 49ers have a Super Bowl-caliber roster when healthy. That has been the catch in 2020, of course. The 49ers have seen their roster shredded by injuries worse than just about every other team in the league. And on the fringe of the strike zone to secure a new quarterback to replace a regressed Jimmy Garoppolo, the 49ers can invest their top assets into replacing Garoppolo with the hottest commodity in football, Zach Wilson. Why pick Wilson over Ohio State QB Justin Fields? For Kyle Shanahan's offense, I simply like the fit better. Fields is a stud, but Wilson's style of play offers enough similarities to Garoppolo with a cheaper payroll and a much higher ceiling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StevenK said:

It’s too rich for my blood! Only way I see we trade up is if one of the 4 guys fall a bit. 

For real. We have a heaping pile of free agents coming off of our smallest draft class in recent history and then we would turn around give all of our premium draft picks in the next few drafts for Zach Wilson? That would make me sick. Terrible logic. 

I like Wilson a lot, but unless he blows the doors off of draft season, he's not going #2. 

It seems like we're going to be picking in the 12-15 range now. If Wilson is there at our pick, pull the trigger. If not, and there's a premium CB or EDGE, I'd go that route. If all of those are gone, I'm trading down if I can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I like Wilson a lot, but unless he blows the doors off of draft season, he's not going #2. 

I'm not sure how you can say that. Who's going #2 over him? I think at this point its basically he, Fields or Sewell. Schefter has already stated that he thinks he's the second QB off the board and there's a lot of momentum in that direction. Currently, I'd have Wilson as the odds on favorite to go #2. 

For real. We have a heaping pile of free agents coming off of our smallest draft class in recent history and then we would turn around give all of our premium draft picks in the next few drafts for Zach Wilson? That would make me sick. Terrible logic. 

Have to hit on that QB. If he's Jared Goff, you end up as the Rams are now...which isn't the worst thing ever but is uninspiring (though they've had success and did make the super bowl). If Wilson blows, then it's RG3 and kind of tragic for your franchise. If he's a legit franchise QB (Watson type tier), its a no brainer trade you want to make every time. 

Does anyone who has watched Trey Lance think that his timing is funky in throws? Feel like he's maybe just half a tick late in delivering some of his downfield passes. Not sure if it's a kink in his delivery mechanics (they are a bit odd in style) or a kink in the scheme, or if it is just him being late on things. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Does anyone who has watched Trey Lance think that his timing is funky in throws? Feel like he's maybe just half a tick late in delivering some of his downfield passes. Not sure if it's a kink in his delivery mechanics (they are a bit odd in style) or a kink in the scheme, or if it is just him being late on things. 

I haven't watched a ton of him yet, but he doesn't strike me as a polished passer, mechanically. I think there is a ton of buyer beware with Lance. He strikes me as a stronger, less electric Lamar Jackson with all of the same question marks coming into the draft. 

Also, has anyone watched Josh Myers yet? The Center from Ohio State. His draft profile writeup is intriguing, but I haven't had a chance to check him out yet.

I haven't watched a ton of him yet, but he doesn't strike me as a polished passer, mechanically. I think there is a ton of buyer beware with Lance. He strikes me as a stronger, less electric Lamar Jackson with all of the same question marks coming into the draft. 

Also, has anyone watched Josh Myers yet? The Center from Ohio State. His draft profile writeup is intriguing, but I haven't had a chance to check him out yet.

I'm an OSU fan, I watch him a lot...but honestly I'm not scouting O-line while I do lol. Everything seems to be there physically, moves  well, athletic...I think he has really good form. Sometimes can be a tick late when picking up his assignments and blocks and in the run game he can kind of find himself alone,  so I think that his second level work can be improved. I think he ends up on the ground a lot. I'm not sure if that is weird happenstance, but it's just one of those things you notice. So maybe it's a balance / awareness thing, or maybe it's just circumstance, or maybe it's just me being feeling like that but it not actually being true. He moves laterally well in that OSU blocking scheme which requires it for both passes and runs; he loses some leverage there and isn't as strong as when he's squared up, but handles the movement part with no issues. 

I like him in pass pro. Very strong anchor in my opinion when manned up on someone. You may see him get pushed back some, but rarely just flat out beat (granted, he's not playing the greatest pass rushers on the interior).  Seals off blocks, seems to pick up his blitzes okay. You see him miss every now and again, but nothing alarming. . Last year against Clemson, Fields was under a lot of pressure at times but seldom was he responsible. I'm not sure how much of that will carry over when he has a bigger load on his own shoulders (he plays on an amazing interior line with incredible guards)

I think he's a better pass protector than he is a run blocker right now transitioning to the NFL. The only thing I see that's really a struggle for him at times is COD from speed (like a LB blitz).  Obviously its not all that surprising physically, but you really have to monitor it to see if it's actually an awareness anticipation issue. Seldom gets beat by a bully in pass pro. The run blocking really seems a lot more hit and miss to me when he's playing real competition though (which is largely what I care about at big programs...I don't really care that he annihilated some future auto dealership manager playing a 3T role on Rutgers). That's where my concern probably lies. He moves well, but isn't the greatest at figuring out how to block well when he's moving in my opinion. He gets in space and far too often is alone and may not have a great feeling on where to go. I've also seen him fail to get strong push in short yardage sets, but that's a very niche situational circumstance given I'm watching that in big time games against d-lines from Clemson and Northwestern. 

6 hours ago, StevenK said:

It’s too rich for my blood! Only way I see we trade up is if one of the 4 guys fall a bit. 

Eh...I mean, its for a QB. Just all depends on if you're right or wrong about him to be honest. The rams are a missed field goal away from being 4 for 4 in the last 4 years in going to the playoffs, which included a super bowl trip. And that was with Jared "I even look average in my headshot" Goff after giving up basically that exact deal. So you can definitely work around it. 

That being said, I'd be more intrigued if we could offer players in lieu of picks, just because there are some guys I'm not sure what we are doing with moving forward. People forget, Nick Bosa can get his extension after next year and that's going to be pricey. Joey didn't do it until after year 4, so that's a good sign...but Nick's injury history is a lot more serious and he may want to jump on that as soon as possible. So I'd rather do things like include McG if we -resign Trent Williams since I can't imagine a situation where we are paying 35-40 million to two tackles on the team in lieu of a 2nd / 3rd and just try and spread the money around.