2021 Draft Thread

John232

Thank you.

I think we were lax on it because we didn't know how the college seaso would go. 

I think if Creed Humphrey is there whenever we draft, that has to be a legit option. Particularly because I think that this is another corner deep draft. 

@Chrissooner49er how has Creed looked? 

2 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

O-line (all positions), DBs... Is DE a possibility, or are we saying Armstead has that spot?

I mean, just speaking from a pure positional need, I'd probably be going

1. OL

2. CB

3. DE. 

Really speaks volumes that we do, generally speaking, have a lot of other positions covered, but I think most of us have been pounding the table for having at least 3 good edge rushers. Easier said than done, but If there was a great talent sitting their in the first or second round, I wouldn't hate pulling the trigger on it. 

1. LT

2. CB 

3. DE (Pass Rusher)

4. RG 

5. FB

6. WR 

Assuming that Tarvarious Moore takes Tartt's spot at SS

Also wouldn't mind picking more depth at RB, TE, & C. 

Big question mark - Are we the surprise team that moves up for a QB, similar to when KC did so for Mahomes back in 2017? 

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Big question mark - Are we the surprise team that moves up for a QB, similar to when KC did so for Mahomes back in 2017? 

Haha, I just sort of hinted at that with my previous post 

I could see us being active in FA as well because I would imagine we would want to fix both tackle positions and let some of our big paid guys walk (or not extend like Kwon/Ford/Sherman/Coleman/Williams (both)). Makes sense for DB or Oline to be one of our first picks, maybe Qb like Forge mentioned if Lance falls to us. Would that make Jimmy expendable too? Could be a big rebuild at certain positions (DBs/Oline), don’t want to compare it to when Harbaugh left, but a lot of big names will be up for resigning. 

Good thing that we have a good group of young players that are showing up. 

Edited by StevenK

28 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I mean, I know there's polarizing opinions on Jimmy G within the fan base.  I personally think he is an above average (good? Semantics..) QB that is not easy to replace, but should not be beyond replacing.  

Right now, our only real immediate needs are center, guard and CB..maybe SS but I think Tartt will stick around. Point being, we have depth all over our team..short of being the Chiefs, Ravens and Patriots, we're probably one of the most evenly balanced and talented teams in the league..and we're going to be potentially drafting top 10..Trading multiple firsts for someone like Lawrence makes a whole lot of sense. We could probably send Jimmy back to NE for a second, Kwon can be released with little dead cap IIRC ( I also think he would have suitors). @Forgemade the point in another thread that we haven't used our free'd cap from Ford so if we wanted too, we could essentially use that to negate his restructure, get out of his deal...we could have a lot of money come off the books, get lawrence, re-sign Trent and Warner and still have the money to address other needs.

I know i'm probably getting a lot of the cap issues wrong, but you don't pass up generational talent because of complacency. I also think there's been enough smoke around certain moves that I don't think they're as committed to Jimmy G as they let on. I think they like him but I don't think they love him.

Edited by John232
  • Like 1

I think we have to run it at least one more year with Jimmy until we get his replacement. Not saying we couldn’t get it in the draft, but besides the top 3 guys, is there anyone else? If we go big in FA I could see us making a push for one of them in the draft unless we fall flat on our face and actually land one of them ala Bosa. 

6 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I think we have to run it at least one more year with Jimmy until we get his replacement. Not saying we couldn’t get it in the draft, but besides the top 3 guys, is there anyone else? If we go big in FA I could see us making a push for one of them in the draft unless we fall flat on our face and actually land one of them ala Bosa. 

Yeah, I would not fault the franchise at all for waiting it out with Jimmy, even for the duration of his deal. I don't THINK they will do that. Worth noting Joey re-signed. But to your point, there's still more guys on the horizon we could have some interest in...Aaron Jones..lol

Trey Lance is really intriguing but I don't know if we're in a place to bet hat patient. 

22 hours ago, Forge said:

Thank you.

I think we were lax on it because we didn't know how the college seaso would go. 

I think if Creed Humphrey is there whenever we draft, that has to be a legit option. Particularly because I think that this is another corner deep draft. 

@Chrissooner49er how has Creed looked? 

The best part of the Sooner Oline, which I am sure doesn't surprise anyone. We had a scare or two with him having to step off the field, shaken up. But he came back. He would be my ideal OL pick in the upcoming draft.

As for QB, someone pointed me toward Zach Wilson of BYU....I would take that guy in the 4th. Maybe the 3rd to prevent anyone else taking him. I am on board the Zach Wilson train. With Kyle and co. to train this kid, he may be able to take over in a year or two. Check him out! He's the main reason BYU is 3-0. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I have no clue right now. I haven't watched any college football yet this year and with over 20 FA's for the 49ers, it's hard to know who is coming back and who isn't. Plus the cap is going to be strapped pretty hard. I think because there are so many unknowns and negatives surrounding the 49ers' offseason, I'm really not in draft mode yet. 

Now with that said, if we keep putting a player on the IR every single freaking week, we could be in full on draft season mode by the middle of November.

• Like 1