2021 Draft Thread

John232

23 hours ago, Forge said:

What our scouts got to see:

An underthrown ball with no pressure? A lot if guys are raving about Wilson on here and maybe for good reason, I havent spent enough time watching him yet, but that ball placement was terrible.

Excited to see Ridder play UGA and nfl defenders during the bowls. I've seen enough of Franks and Jones and don't have to worry about Fields and Sunshine but ill be watching those too I suppose. Who/when does BYU play?

4 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

An underthrown ball with no pressure? A lot if guys are raving about Wilson on here and maybe for good reason, I havent spent enough time watching him yet, but that ball placement was terrible.

Excited to see Ridder play UGA and nfl defenders during the bowls. I've seen enough of Franks and Jones and don't have to worry about Fields and Sunshine but ill be watching those too I suppose. Who/when does BYU play?

That ball is definitely not underthrown, he just did not throw it over the shoulder. Just a different placement, likely due to the safety over top who is closing in. You air it, he catches up. It looks better because the db plays bad, but that ball is how it needs to be imo and it's a drop in the bucket. Suppose it depends on how you see it. I thought that was 100% intentional and exactly where he wanted it. If his intention was to put it over the shoulder... Then yeah, that's a whiff and horrible under thrown lol. I just  immediately thought that was his intention

Byu is done. That was their bowl game

• Like 1

According to PFF, Field's time to throw when  blitzed is actually going up this year (not by a small amount) from 3.07 seconds to 3.21. The highest in the NFL is 2.8. Just so damn relaxed back there. Not a twitchy response guy at all. 

Fields is going to be effective, especially immediately I think...but I don't have any idea on what anyone is looking at long term there. 

So I looked into the character concerns. Seems to come from Charlie Campbell over at Walter Football: 

Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs],” An NFC East scout said via Campbell. “[Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He’s a backyard baller who is fun to watch.

“Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat – uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he’s a know-it-all.

So eh. 

I think there's a solid chance that both Fields and Lance will be available for our pick if we lose out. There may even be a shot that Shanahan doesn't like either and prefers to trade down and take a QB in the mid-1st round or even in the 2nd round. I wouldn't like that but his guy may be Trask or Jones. Either way, the offense will be tweaked some if we draft Fields or Lance. There will be some of what Shanahan did with RG3 in his rookie season. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think there's a solid chance that both Fields and Lance will be available for our pick if we lose out. There may even be a shot that Shanahan doesn't like either and prefers to trade down and take a QB in the mid-1st round or even in the 2nd round. I wouldn't like that but his guy may be Trask or Jones. Either way, the offense will be tweaked some if we draft Fields or Lance. There will be some of what Shanahan did with RG3 in his rookie season. 

I'm actually happy to take Lance if Wilson is gone. He scares the hell out of me given how raw he is, but the ceiling is so huge and he makes throws that are pretty incredible. Fields is my #4 and i think he'll be effective...but I'm really not sure on him long term because I really don't love what I see in some regards. After that, I don't have much of an interest in drafting guys like Jones or Trask. Maybe if they slipped to an area around our comp pick in the third (assuming Saleh gets hired) 

It's kind of funny listening to various 49er podcasts about the team moving forward. Listening to the Lombardi / Barrows podcast, and on the last one, they didn't even acknowledge the possibility of a QB in the first round. They started talking about the draft and mentioned offensive line, defensive line / pass rusher, corner and safety (not even sure what safety that would be...) as possible first round targets. Not so much as a peep about QB. Listening to Lowder and Crock though, and they are all in trading anything that is not bolted down to get up to #2 to take the QB of our choice lol. 

On 12/24/2020 at 11:22 AM, Forge said:

So I looked into the character concerns. Seems to come from Charlie Campbell over at Walter Football: 

So eh. 

Is Walter Football even a reliable source? They always seemed like more of a blog to me. 

Regardless, Wilson is going to be the real deal. It would be an absolute dream if we could somehow snag him. 

1 minute ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Is Walter Football even a reliable source? They always seemed like more of a blog to me. 

Regardless, Wilson is going to be the real deal. It would be an absolute dream if we could somehow snag him. 

Charlie Campbell was at one time a somewhat legit guy I'm pretty sure. I don't think that's the case any more. I've seen them get some stuff right in the past...I kind of feel like they are closer to what you suggest - a blog type, but I'd compare them to maybe something like really old TMZ or Perez Hilton or something lol. Every now and again, they get something right, but I take most of their "source information" with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kwon possibly tore his Achilles. We may not get a 5th rounder this year from them now. 

Terrible break for Kwon, had a legitimate shot to win it all with this team. 

Love the dude. Can't stay healthy. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kwon possibly tore his Achilles. We may not get a 5th rounder this year from them now. 

Terrible break for Kwon, had a legitimate shot to win it all with this team. 

With amount of injuries we had this year why would you want to trade for one of our players in the first place. 

Best of luck with his recovery love the guy just can't seem to stay on the field ever.