2021 Draft Thread

John232

There's going to be alot of projecting with prospects based on physical talents@edge in this year's class. Very few have the production, film and hype that would warrant pre-draft buzz like in previous years. Teams will have to really look at guys athletic profiles and physical ability then project the kind impact they'll have as pros. There are no Bosa's or Young's in this class. Those can't miss type of edge defenders.

With all that being said, I think we should take a flier on at least two edge guys on Day 2 and 3. Guys like Dimukeje from Duke or Jones II from Pitt are the types that I think aren't necessarily going to wow ppl but could turnout to be highly productive in our scheme, playing opposite Bosa.

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:
There's going to be alot of projecting with prospects based on physical talents@edge in this year's class. Very few have the production, film and hype that would warrant pre-draft buzz like in previous years. Teams will have to really look at guys athletic profiles and physical ability then project the kind impact they'll have as pros. There are no Bosa's or Young's in this class. Those can't miss type of edge defenders.

With all that being said, I think we should take a flier on at least two edge guys on Day 2 and 3. Guys like Dimukeje from Duke or Jones II from Pitt are the types that I think aren't necessarily going to wow ppl but could turnout to be highly productive in our scheme, playing opposite Bosa.

I like Jones a lot, he’s definitely someone I would target. Rousseau had a very productive year last year and is a physical freak. I think most of his production was from the interior, but he’s definitely someone I would take a look at if available.

The more that I read about the prospects in the middle of the first round and beyond, which is where I think I think we'll be picking, the more that I think we should be trading down or trading out into next year's draft. There seem to be a number of DBs and IOL on the 2nd day of the draft so if we can't get our QBOTF in the first we should try to load up on later picks to get DBs or IOL, or move some into next year when we will see more talent on display in the college season.

Curious to hear if @y2lamanaki would be on board with Trask 

I haven't watched him until today, not looking good against an LSU defense who is supposed to be bad 

Edit: as I type this he hits a 50 yard pass on a beautiful throw 

Edited by N4L

55 minutes ago, N4L said:

Curious to hear if @y2lamanaki would be on board with Trask 

I haven't watched him until today, not looking good against an LSU defense who is supposed to be bad 

Edit: as I type this he hits a 50 yard pass on a beautiful throw 

I will say, he just feels like qb purgatory lol

Just now, Forge said:

I will say, he just feels like qb purgatory lol

Yeah, haven't watched him at all until today. He seems ok, but not someone I am hoping we draft. 

Basically, if we get him, I can convince myself that Kyle knows what he's doing. Otherwise, no thanks lol 

Just now, N4L said:

Yeah, haven't watched him at all until today. He seems ok, but not someone I am hoping we draft. 

Basically, if we get him, I can convince myself that Kyle knows what he's doing. Otherwise, no thanks lol 

I think he'll be okay... He feels like a guy that should go late first, early second. But I'm really trying to get more than okay at the position

It's 100% draft season now for the 49ers. I'm turning my attention to the draft and I'm excited to dig into positions I think will be most important:

• QB of the Future
  • Late-round RB's
  • Slot WR's
  • Starting-quality Centers that can pass block
  • EDGE
  • Corners (outside and nickel CB's)
  • Box Safeties 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

It's 100% draft season now for the 49ers. I'm turning my attention to the draft and I'm excited to dig into positions I think will be most important:

• QB of the Future
  • Late-round RB's
  • Slot WR's
  • Starting-quality Centers that can pass block
  • EDGE
  • Corners (outside and nickel CB's)
  • Box Safeties 

I'll be curious to see if they put any emphasis on wide receiver. With how strong the draft classes have been, I wouldn't at all mind just drafting one in the middle rounds every year at this point until that well runs dry. In round 3/4 you can legitimately get top 50 type talents at the position. 

I feel like safety is going to be a market we hit in FA. Could be just bringing Tartt back (not in love with it given he can't stay healthy), but the safety market is super volatile and some years it's super low and some it's super high...I feel like given the money issues this year, it's going to crater and I think that we can get someone on a cheap 1 year or multi year deal. I think we may bring Cyprien or Harris back, which would make sense, and then target a starter. 

The rest of it gets really tricky. I wonder if we don't look at RB in the FA bin as well and then take some UDFAs. I mean, honestly, I'm not opposed to bringing back a guy like Carlos Hyde on the cheap. He has no market, and while he doesn't have the explosive running ability, he's fairly competent in all regards. Can pass block, catch a little, run okay. And he had no market this year, and I'd assume that he has no market next year. 

As for Center, I'm probably looking at someone like Alec Lindstrom from BC. Needs a year or two to physically mature, so if Richburg is going to try and give it another go, that gives us a chance to season him a little (or if Richburg is gone and we sign Mack). 

Lots of running backs on the market; I think I'd sign one as a FA and sign a UDFA...not sure if I would draft one. Suppose it depends on how much I loved one of the backs specifically though. 

Agree on Edge and Corners though. Wouldn't be the worst idea to double dip on both if we can. 

I haven't really dug deep into the later round prospects, but I threw together a quick mock on TDN and I think I'd be pretty pumped about it if it came to fruition. 

San Francisco 49ers
Zach Wilson
QB, BYU

San Francisco 49ers
Asante Samuel Jr.
CB, Florida State

San Francisco 49ers
Myjai Sanders
EDGE, Cincinnati

San Francisco 49ers
Justyn Ross
WR, Clemson

San Francisco 49ers
Alaric Jackson
OT, Iowa

San Francisco 49ers
Amari Rodgers
WR, Clemson

San Francisco 49ers
Tyreke Smith
EDGE, Ohio State

San Francisco 49ers
Trey Hill
IOL, Georgia

San Francisco 49ers
Trey Dean III
CB, Florida

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/S7E6EVAai1

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll be curious to see if they put any emphasis on wide receiver. With how strong the draft classes have been, I wouldn't at all mind just drafting one in the middle rounds every year at this point until that well runs dry. In round 3/4 you can legitimately get top 50 type talents at the position. 

I feel like safety is going to be a market we hit in FA. Could be just bringing Tartt back (not in love with it given he can't stay healthy), but the safety market is super volatile and some years it's super low and some it's super high...I feel like given the money issues this year, it's going to crater and I think that we can get someone on a cheap 1 year or multi year deal. I think we may bring Cyprien or Harris back, which would make sense, and then target a starter. 

The rest of it gets really tricky. I wonder if we don't look at RB in the FA bin as well and then take some UDFAs. I mean, honestly, I'm not opposed to bringing back a guy like Carlos Hyde on the cheap. He has no market, and while he doesn't have the explosive running ability, he's fairly competent in all regards. Can pass block, catch a little, run okay. And he had no market this year, and I'd assume that he has no market next year. 

As for Center, I'm probably looking at someone like Alec Lindstrom from BC. Needs a year or two to physically mature, so if Richburg is going to try and give it another go, that gives us a chance to season him a little (or if Richburg is gone and we sign Mack). 

Lots of running backs on the market; I think I'd sign one as a FA and sign a UDFA...not sure if I would draft one. Suppose it depends on how much I loved one of the backs specifically though. 

Agree on Edge and Corners though. Wouldn't be the worst idea to double dip on both if we can. 

For Slot WR, I don't see us bringing Trent Taylor back, which means we're relying on Hurd and James to be a difference maker in the slot. James is interesting in very small bursts and I'd really like to see him have a real opportunity to win the slot job. Obviously, Hurd is the one most people are penciling in at slot and salivating over, but it's not wise to count on him just yet. This leaves the door open for a late-round slot guy. In 2020 draft terms, this is a guy like Darnell Mooney or Devin Duvernay in the 5th round or later.

For safety, I'd like to think the 49ers will play Moore and Ward together more often in 2021. I'd bring back Harris to be a box safety and backup Ward, but he's not a long-term option. I'd like to draft a guy in the middle rounds to compete for the backup to Ward in 2021 and the eventual starter if he looks good.

For RB, I like the Mostert / Wilson / Hasty trio for 2021. But with our injury luck at this position, I'd like to draft a guy in the middle to late rounds. We've had better luck getting cheap guys in and making something out of them than paying for a vet. I like Austin Walter as a PS guy / 4th or 5th string RB, but I'd still draft a guy and see what happens. I'm still sore about falling in love with James Robinson this time last year and not taking him. 

For Center, this is my #1 priority for 2021. We HAVE to find someone that can pass block. I have zero faith in Richburg coming back and staying healthy. I like Garland as a backup quite a bit, but he's not a starter. I have yet to dig into the draft yet much on this position, but someone like Wyatt Davis at center could be extremely appealing. The center market in FA doesn't look great either. 

For EDGE, I don't think Hyder will come back. The market for EDGE free agents isn't great and Hyder is out performing most of them. Who knows what's going on with Blair and if he will be ready for 2021. Willis and Jordan have been OK, but not impactful. We're relying on Bosa and Armstead, mostly. I'd like to see Blair and Willis back on cheap deals and draft some athletes on the EDGE in the early to middle rounds.

For Corner, I'd like to see Verrett and Jamar Taylor back. I'm guessing Taylor would start the year on the PUP list, though. K'Waun could be too expensive, unless he has a dry market due to his age. If so, I'd bring him back on a cheap deal in a heart beat. Our corner depth is bad. I'd like to see 1 to 2 corners drafted this year. 

Edited by NinerNation21