2021 Draft Thread

John232

3 hours ago, John232 said:
Latest mock, no trades. Apologies for formatting. 
Zach Wilson QB, BYU
44.Creed Humphrey IOL, Oklahoma
113. Daelin Hayes EDGE, Notre Dame
152. Keith Taylor CB, Washington
171. Tyler Vrabel OT, Boston College
176. Malcolm Koonce EDGE, Buffalo
190. Quentin Lake S, UCLA
222. Austin Watkins WR, UAB
233. Ambry Thomas CB, Michigan

I like the first two picks a lot. I think addressing the Center position this offseason is crucial. I don't know a lot about the other picks yet, so I can't comment one way or the other.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That Chargers win helps us if we lose Sunday. Really a chance to get in the top 8-9 after this weekend. 

There's a few teams crowded around in the 4-5 win mark. 

We should be rooting for Carolina, Atlanta, Dallas (ugh), Houston, Philly, LAC, NYG, Denver, & Detroit. 

If by some miracle all 9 of those teams win more games than us, or we end up having the draft tiebreaker....we could be picking as high as 4th. 

Top 3 seem pretty locked in with NYJ, Jacksonville, & Cinci. And if memory serves me right, the Bengals rarely if ever trade down. Which means we'd be in prime position to pick a QB if the top 3 goes Lawrence/Fields/Sewell as expected

Did my first mock today. All the QBs were gone by our pick, which left me sad...and so I punted the position lol

I almost took Brock Purdy in the 6th, but then I wasn't sure why. He's a fun dude, but I think he's probably Colt McCoy. I tried to stay away from guys I didn't think were declaring (I could have taken Penix in the 7th, for example). The only one I wasn't sure on was Tyreke Johnson..not sure why he would come out, but I snagged him late not really thinking about it. But this draft was weird in the way that I completely and totally swung for the fences on a lot of these and this draft could be a complete disaster. 

#12 - Caleb Farley, CB - missed the quarterbacks, grabbed the best corner. Lance went he pick right before to Detroit. The picks around us were mostly tackles (those are reaches with this class) and Ossai. I could have taken Davonta Smith, and that would have been fun...as would have Pitts who went 15. But I can't pass on the best corner here. Not a fan of back surgery, but I don't know how much you can really do about it. He's the most complete corner in this draft and by far the best matchup of talent + need for this selection. 

#44 - Jaelan Phillips, EDGE Miami - This is probably the one I'm least in love with and especially given our injury problems. Medicals will be big for him. But he's a toolsy athlete who ripped it up this year when he finally stayed healthy and he is desperately the type of player we need. This pick is so crazy risky at this point. Creed Humphrey went a few picks before to the Eagles, and I did give real thought to taking Josh Myers at this pick (he went with the next selection), but if you hit right with Phillips that's just so huge. If you hit right with Myers, it's kind of "meh", to be honest. After that, honestly, there wasn't much appeal looking around outside of EDGE.  Basham went a few picks later and I could have gone Patrick Jones II here, and I think that there's a reasonable case to be made that he should have been the pick. Either one of those guys makes sense, as I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that there may be a little too much Josh Sweat in this selection (though should be noted that Sweat has been pretty efficient the last two years, but his health probably will prevent him from being a full time player). 

#113 - Spencer Brown, OT Northern Iowa - One of the biggest challenges with navigating this draft is trying to figure out what to do with guys who didn't play, and Spencer Brown is one of those guys, and it may be doubly hard for him given that he played at an FCS school.  That being said,  this is just stupid value and I don't know how I make any other choice regardless of who is on the board. He's a former TE, has all that sweet athleticism and fluidity that you know our guys are just going to salivate over. With Williams up there in age (and possibly leaving), McG being a trainwreck and no clear backup on the roster, we are going to have to take a tackle at some point, and I'd be over. The only thing I'm not sure on, and I think it's a valid concern, is how well his height translates. Dude is 6'9.  Kind of hoping he measures something closer to 6'7. Hopeful that he spent his season off putting on just a little weight. At that height, I feel like he should be a lock to be in that 330+ range. He's got amazing length, crazy body strength, and still has excellent movement skills. Will have to sort him out, but he's a guy that has the upside of a true shutdown tackle at the top of his potential. FTR, the most interesting guy selected here was Jamie  Newman who went the very next pick and Alec Lindstrom who went a few picks later. Newman is probably the last QB I even entertain selecting in this draft, and I couldn't even do it because I wasn't passing on Brown. 

#152 - Jack Anderson, OG Texas Tech - We definitely need to do some work on the interior, and I think you kind of just keep firing bullets in the middle rounds..especially for interior guys. I don't think that you have to break the bank unless you have prospects who are so clearly elite at what they do that they force your hand to select them that early (think Nick Mangold at center and Quenton Nelson at G). Anderson has basically been a steady starter since he was a freshman, missed most of last season with an injury, but came back and played every game this year. He's not great on his feet, but he's enough to be okay...I don't think that he'd be a detriment. 

#171 - Tyreke Johnson, CB OSU - As mentioned, I'm not really sure why he would come out at this point, but I didn't realy think about it at the time. Complete shot in the dark here try swing for the fences on his skill set and H / W / S

#176 - Deangelo Malone, Edge WKU - So he's listed as an edge, but I'll be damned if he's an actual edge player. I'm not really sure what to do with him but Western Kentucky kind of plays him everywhere and he's kind of good all over. I think he's likely an off ball linebacker at the next level, and I'd probably start him out as maybe a sort of blitzing SAM type. At this point of the draft, I look at a guy like him, see a football player who also has really nice athletic toolkit and I'm just in. I'll figure out the rest later. 

#190 - Justyn Ross, WR Clemson - Medicals will also play a big part in Ross, and it's easy to forget what a talented player he is given how long ago it feels since we last saw him. Someone mentioned him in another thread just a few days ago and I got to this pick and he was the top rated player on their board. Felt like fate. 

#222 - Jaelon Darden, WR North Texas - Yeah, a double dip on the receiver position isn't really necessary, but I'm also just trying to find guys who I think have the best shot at actually playing at a quality level at the NFL and contribute. What good is picking a safety here if I don't think he's going to actually contribute as a safety ? Darden is shredding for North Texas, and I actually mentioned him to N4L on the last podcast (that bit ended up getting cut, however).  He has some punt return ability though hasn't been used there a ton, and while he's small, he's ultra productive at North Texas, and size has never bothered us before and we actually have familiarity with the North Texas program via Jeff Wilson. 

#233 - Jimmy Morrissey, C Pitt - Actually feel weirdly good about this pick so late. He crushes the intangibles box, ton of experience, didn't allow a sack last year. Seems like a guy that could turn out to be just fine and you'd just be like, "yeah, it makes sense that he's pretty good" if he actually ended up being good. 

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Mac Jones has been my guy. I hope the 49ers take him. Don't know why he's still a whisper in the black compared to other guys. He'll shoot up draft boards later though. Hopefully not out of the 49ers reach. 

Because he's seldom in any sort of real nfl situation and an amazingly high percentage of his production is on the back of Smith. He's a bizarre evaluation. He throws a pretty ball, but that's legitimately the only thing I can say for sure.

I'm still generally out on QBs if I'm not taking one at the top

Just now, Forge said:

Because he's seldom in any sort of real nfl situation and an amazingly high percentage of his production is on the back of Smith. He's a bizarre evaluation. He throws a pretty ball, but that's legitimately the only thing I can say for sure

There's so much stuff with 7 ish yards of separation. Not just Smith - people are terrified of the speed of all outside receivers on the team. I've counted one NFL window throw tonight - it was a terrific freaking throw with interference. But it was one. And he almost always has perfect pockets. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

There's so much stuff with 7 ish yards of separation. Not just Smith - people are terrified of the speed of all outside receivers on the team. I've counted one NFL window throw tonight - it was a terrific freaking throw with interference. But it was one. And he almost always has perfect pockets. 

Exactly. It's just impossible to know much about him. And for that one nfl throw, he's been off target on a couple of others. I don't know how anyone feels comfortable thinking they know anything about him

• Like 1

So with the amount of playing time Kwon has had thus far, we will be almost certainly be getting a 5th rounder from the Saints, right? Should get another one for Sanders. Now, both will be late 5th rounders but better than nothing. Then Saleh will be bringing us a compensatory 3rd rounder once he gets gets hired. 

We will likely pick in the top 10, but if we can somehow get in the top 7, that would be huge. You can possibly just sit back at that spot and take one of the top QBs or trade up to the top 5 without giving up THAT much compensation. 

• Like 1

Man, watching Byu / SDSU and man, there's a throw Wilson makes at the end of the first.... Incomplete pass, but it's 30 yards, on a rope, outside the hash... And he overthrew it out of bounds. He can stand to learn a little more touch underneath in certain spots, but I love the zip. He's got such a live arm

Watched wake games last night for newman. Not good choices lol. BC and Clemson. Not good. First off, I hate their offense. They run so many damn versions of four verts it's stupid. 

His accuracy is so brutal at times. I just don't think he has a great feel for throwing the ball . He needs someone to work with him on some footwork and pocket manipulation issues.