2021 Draft Thread

John232

Love the third td. Just the extra half second of patience there where he holds it, even with a guy in his face. That's what really makes the play. Gives just a little more leeway to his receiver. It's that patience that purdy, for example, lacks

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Watched wake games last night for newman. Not good choices lol. BC and Clemson. Not good. First off, I hate their offense. They run so many damn versions of four verts it's stupid. 

His accuracy is so brutal at times. I just don't think he has a great feel for throwing the ball . He needs someone to work with him on some footwork and pocket manipulation issues. 

Hopefully Newman is working on his inconsistencies since he decided to opt out (this year) and the Senior Bowl he can hopefully show some sign of improvement.

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Are there any QB's worthy of picking as a QBOTF besides Lawrence/Fields/Wilson/Lance? 

Hope one of Fields/Wilson/Lance can fall to our pick. 

Kyle Trask would be worth looking into. I'm at the very beginning of my QB research for draft season, so I'm very limited in my QB knowledge right now. But, outside of the list you mentioned, Trask seems to be the best of the rest.

https://www.knbr.com/2020/12/21/whats-the-scenario-looking-at-where-49ers-could-be-drafting-if-all-goes-wrong-or-right/

The best reasonable case scenario is finishing 6th, or up to 9th. Here’s how a few of these scenarios could play out. The top five is basically off limits, so here’s the path for the 49ers to get up to the sixth pick

• Texans (5-10) beats Bengals (2-13-1). Their strength of schedule (currently .552) holds behind the 49ers’ (currently .547). +1 spot
  • Jump all of three NFC East teams in one of those above scenarios (likely the first one) where the Giants (6-10) beat Cowboys (6-10), Cowboys beat the Eagles (5-10-1) and the Eagles beat Washington (7-9). The worst case scenario with the NFC East teams is +1 spot, the most likely scenario is +2 spots and the best case scenario is +3 spots.
  • Chargers (6-10) beat either the Broncos (5-11 or 6-10) or the Chiefs. Again, this is the Chiefs in Week 17, and they’ve already played an overtime game together, so it’s in play. +1 spot
  • Lions (6-10) beat either the Buccaneers (9-5) or the Vikings (7-9). This is not exceedingly likely, but none of the involved teams are predictable. +1 spot

So, if all of those things go right for the 49ers, who just have to lose two a pair of plus-.500 division teams (easier said than done), they could finish with the 6th pick. My best guess? If they lose out, they gain +2 spots from the NFC East teams, Texans win against Cincinnati (+1 spot) and the Chargers beat either the Broncos or Chiefs (+1 spot).

I do not think the Lions win one of its final two games, and my faith in the Chargers is based solely on how weird they get and that Justin Herbert against Drew Lock is a favorable matchup.

That would give San Francisco the 8th pick, or if the Chargers don’t win, the 9th pick.

Edited by NcFinest9erFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Are there any QB's worthy of picking as a QBOTF besides Lawrence/Fields/Wilson/Lance? 

Hope one of Fields/Wilson/Lance can fall to our pick. 

I don't have any real interest in QBs outside the top 4, though Trask  is probably next up to me. I just think he's capped and it kind of sucks. After that, Jones is the only guy I'm looking at on day 2. I like Trask  more because I have seen him handle more NFL type situations...i just don't know what to do with Jones. I's an impossible evaluation to me because the sample size of him being in real game situations is so minimal. Throws a lovely ball though, especially deep. Guys like Ridder and Newman are probably the only guys I'm looking at on day 3; worthwhile longshot projects with upside to be starters. 

Honestly, I'm only like 30% we draft a quarterback in the first two rounds. Really hoping I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

I know that it would take a lot to get it done but if the 49ers can end up with a top 5 draft pick, they need to do whatever it takes draft pick wise to get to #1 and go get Lawrence. Team has plenty of young talent (some of which will need to be paid soon anyway) so having all these extra picks isn't going to mean much if we don't have a great QB. Plus, Lawrence would be under a cheap rookie contract for four years which allows the team to keep the young core intact.

I would let Sherman walk and trade Jimmy G, Ford and Ward. Take a few defensive hits and try to get cheaper via FA and just get the damn franchise QB already. I'm tired of watching mediocre QB play as a 49ers fan. If it means giving 3 first and second round draft picks for 2021/2022/2023, then so be it. I don't want to see another year of this crap at QB. Mullens is fine as a backup...meaning he never starts. lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dan77733 said:

I know that it would take a lot to get it done but if the 49ers can end up with a top 5 draft pick, they need to do whatever it takes draft pick wise to get to #1 and go get Lawrence. Team has plenty of young talent (some of which will need to be paid soon anyway) so having all these extra picks isn't going to mean much if we don't have a great QB. Plus, Lawrence would be under a cheap rookie contract for four years which allows the team to keep the young core intact.

I would let Sherman walk and trade Jimmy G, Ford and Ward. Take a few defensive hits and try to get cheaper via FA and just get the damn franchise QB already. I'm tired of watching mediocre QB play as a 49ers fan. If it means giving 3 first and second round draft picks for 2021/2022/2023, then so be it. I don't want to see another year of this crap at QB. Mullens is fine as a backup...meaning he never starts. lol.

Trading for Lawrence is not a thing that can happen. At all. 

On 12/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, Forge said:

If there was something I was legitimately concerned with on Fields, it's how slowly he processes information. I think that there is something that isn't great there. I feel like I've seen him struggle quite a bit in tightened areas such as the red zone. I think you have to lean on his legs to be effective in that area more than you want to. 

Works for Kyler lol Kyler basically either Chuck's it to hop or runs when they get in the rz

I wish he would have started earlier in his college career, or that he would stay another year, but when you're already guaranteed to be a top 10 pick on hype alone, I don't blame the kid for coming out

I am 100% in on him. Pull the trigger if he falls to 5/6, trade next year's first if you have to. Keep Jimmy to devalue the pick we traded away and give fields a year to learn 

Then I would put Mullens on the PS and sign Alex smith to be QB3. 

Fields may not make it, the game moves very fast for him, but it's possible he learns and adjusts to the speed. 

In the meantime, use him like NO uses taysom and like BAL used lamar and get him on the field occasionally to get his feet wet. He hasn't played a lot of football 

Edited by N4L

12 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Jump all of three NFC East teams in one of those above scenarios (likely the first one) where the Giants (6-10) beat Cowboys (6-10), Cowboys beat the Eagles (5-10-1) and the Eagles beat Washington (7-9). The worst case scenario with the NFC East teams is +1 spot, the most likely scenario is +2 spots and the best case scenario is

Great post, but I'll break this part down a little further

Washington has 6 wins, the cowboys and giants have 5 wins, the eagles have 4 and a tie (which is better than a loss, meaning if they have the same amount of wins as another team, they will have one less loss and will draft after the other team). 

So if the giants, WFT, and cowboys get 6 wins and the eagles get 5 wins, then we will draft before the three that don't make the playoffs (if we dont win another game) 

The nfce teams only play themselves from now on.

Eagles play the cowboys, giants play the WFT 

We want the giants to beat Washington

It doesn't matter who wins between the eagles/cowboys, as long as the whichever of them loses, beats either the giants or the WFT in week 17 

the cowboys play the giants week 17. I'm thinking they will have a better chance to win that game rather than the eagles beating Washington

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N4L said:

Works for Kyler lol Kyler basically either Chuck's it to hop or runs when they get in the rz

I wish he would have started earlier in his college career, or that he would stay another year, but when you're already guaranteed to be a top 10 pick on hype alone, I don't blame the kid for coming out

I am 100% in on him. Pull the trigger if he falls to 5/6, trade next year's first if you have to. Keep Jimmy to devalue the pick we traded away and give fields a year to learn 

Then I would put Mullens on the PS and sign Alex smith to be QB3. 

Fields may not make it, the game moves very fast for him, but it's possible he learns and adjusts to the speed. 

In the meantime, use him like NO uses taysom and like BAL used lamar and get him on the field occasionally to get his feet wet. He hasn't played a lot of football 

It works for just about everyone to start. Look at Hurts. Well, I should say that it works until it doesn't. You typically do have to evolve to maintain your effectiveness, but being able to make out of structure plays is a huge thing that not enough coaches are in on. I honestly don't know why anyone would ever have a pocket quarterback as a back up. Get an athlete back there and let them go crazy in the shorts bursts that they need to play. 

• Like 1

I have no idea what Shanny subscribes too when it comes to QB development, but I think there's a good chance he takes someone like Lance/Wilson and lets them sit. I wouldn't want that, nor do I think that's smart..but I could see it happening..especially if they restructure Jimmy G. 

That said, is Lombardi someone whose reliable when it comes to our team?