2020: Week 5 - v Arizona Cardinals

Bianconero

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I wonder what happens if Flacco lights it up. He wont, but I wonder what happens if he does.

An interesting thought.  I am probably the only person on this planet who thinks Flacco WILL do better, maybe not light it up, but do better than Sam.  I can't see Flacco missing wide open receivers across the middle and not pulling the trigger.  I can't see Flacco scrambling and not see a streaking WR down the sideline.  Flacco is too experienced for that HS crap.

That said, this would be bad because it would give gase an excuse as to why they suck.  In the end, they will still lose because of lack of talent in all three phases of the game, but Flacco should do better.

This feels like the kind of game we'll win:

• Season's already lost
  • Doesn't help us evaluate Darnold
  • Might cause ownership to think we might already have the right coaching staff in place

I want the win though, however it comes. I just don't want to go 0-16.

Go Flacco!

1 hour ago, TheChad said:

• Season's already lost
  • Might cause ownership to think we might already have the right coaching staff in place

Go Flacco!

Next week is our only chance to win in the coming weeks.

6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I wonder what happens if Flacco lights it up. He wont, but I wonder what happens if he does.

I can't bare to watch a good Flacco performance.  It would be the worst thing for this franchise in so many ways.  It's the most Jet thing to do so you just know it's gonna happen.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheChad said:

• Season's already lost

Go Flacco!

I was thinking this at one point, but I want to get this gase situation over with. If we win, it will just make it a longer process. A win or 2 after firing him is fine, but this is annoying now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, xrade said:

...  I can't see Flacco missing wide open receivers across the middle and not pulling the trigger.  I can't see Flacco scrambling and not see a streaking WR down the sideline.  Flacco is too experienced for that HS crap....

The Cardinals D is coming off is worst game of the season, where it could not stop the run or get to the QB at all. If we can establish a running game and keep Flacco clean he should be able to put up some decent numbers.

The issue is, to this point, we haven't been able to accomplish either of those two goals.  Football outsider has us rated at tied for 6th worst at at adjusted sack rate which gives sacks (plus intentional grounding penalties) per pass attempt adjusted for down, distance, and opponent. The Jets running backs are averaging a combined 3.23 YPC, good for 2nd worst.  

If teams are able to stuff the run, allowing them to pin their ears back and get after the passer, a less mobile QB is going to have a hard time throwing to receivers that struggle to get open. 

To be successful the Jets need to operate a quick passing offense utilizing short slants and shallow crosses with some deep shots in short yardage situations to help keep the defense honest. If they can work in some motion to help key the QB to the defensive layout and create some presnap separation this will help keep the defense from blitzing too much.  This of course, still requires the line to be moderately successful at blocking, which they've failed at thus far.

6 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I was thinking this at one point, but I want to get this gase situation over with. If we win, it will just make it a longer process. A win or 2 after firing him is fine, but this is annoying now. 

I'm all in on the lose big this weekend bandwagon. As TheChad mentioned, a win could be disastrous for the long term outlook of the Jets. Not only would it put us behind the 8-ball in the tank for Trevor sweeps(and I don't even want the guy..lol) but it would incentivize Gase to keep starting Flacco to try and save his job instead of us properly evaluating what we have in Sam. We need Sam to take as many snaps as humanly possibly before this draft to know if we need to take T-Law or Fields, or if we can leverage those guys to trade down for a haul(I'd trade down regardless of Sam's play this year but that's a me thing)

40 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I'm all in on the lose big this weekend bandwagon. As TheChad mentioned, a win could be disastrous for the long term outlook of the Jets. Not only would it put us behind the 8-ball in the tank for Trevor sweeps(and I don't even want the guy..lol) but it would incentivize Gase to keep starting Flacco to try and save his job instead of us properly evaluating what we have in Sam. We need Sam to take as many snaps as humanly possibly before this draft to know if we need to take T-Law or Fields, or if we can leverage those guys to trade down for a haul(I'd trade down regardless of Sam's play this year but that's a me thing)

All great points. I actually don't want the #1 pick and if we were picking a QB, I'd actually be fine with Fields or Lance right now. The longer we keep Gase, the longer of a bashing this is going to be. We let him go Monday, the talks can move forward to who's next and if Sam can show enough progress. I don't know how we can win this one after losing to Denver. Even with Bell returning, gase doesn't know how to use him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

All great points. I actually don't want the #1 pick and if we were picking a QB, I'd actually be fine with Fields or Lance right now. The longer we keep Gase, the longer of a bashing this is going to be. We let him go Monday, the talks can move forward to who's next and if Sam can show enough progress. I don't know how we can win this one after losing to Denver. Even with Bell returning, gase doesn't know how to use him. 

The only reason i want the first pick is for the haul in a trade. If Lawrence wasn't being bandied about as a generational guy I'd have little interest. The fact that some team might trade 3 firsts and some other picks for him is simply too much to ignore. It would go a long way towards injecting some real talent into this team at some needed positions.

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

The only reason i want the first pick is for the haul in a trade. If Lawrence wasn't being bandied about as a generational guy I'd have little interest. The fact that some team might trade 3 firsts and some other picks for him is simply too much to ignore. It would go a long way towards injecting some real talent into this team at some needed positions.

True. I hope we can take the Jags two 1st round picks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I can't bare to watch a good Flacco performance.  It would be the worst thing for this franchise in so many ways.  It's the most Jet thing to do so you just know it's gonna happen.  

That's why I feel like it happen lol. Flacco looks like SBMVP Flacco. Jets win in a shootout.

I can certainly see your points, but who would play the most important position? Sam?  I am sorry but watching him through 4 games this year and then watching some of the breakdowns later on has really soured me on him. He is not even seeing the open receivers. He is too uneasy in the pocket and seems to have little awareness. He is in year three. He is regressing for whatever reason. Cut bait, take the QB who has started three years in college and build this team with the plethora of draft picks and cap we will have over the next two years.