GDT 10/11/20 Week 5: 3-1 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-2-1 Cincinnati Bengals

DreamKid

43 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

All these PQ comps to rookie CJ Mosley make me nervous about this next offseason for him. CJ Mosley was basically PQ right now, then the coaching staff told him to bulk up and he eventually lost virtually all of that athleticism and ability to play in coverage. I hope they don't repeat that mistake with PQ.

Two different players. Mosley was an above average athlete in college. He bulked up by roughly 15 lbs and his athleticism shrunk to just average.

Queen has already looked like he bulked up slightly from college. It initially looked like he lost some speed to start the season, but perhaps his instincts were just taking some time to adjust. Either way he looks a solid few lbs heavier IMO (maybe 5-8 lbs) and he’s far more explosive than rookie Mosley.

Ray Lewis also bulked up after his rookie season. But Lewis and Queen were both elite athletes, Mosley was not. Queen would likely have to gain 25-30 lbs to ever be as slow as Mosley was for us.

Mosleys play recognition was far ahead of Queens as a rookie, and that will most likely be the case for 2-3 years.

That allowed Mosley to play faster, to slip through blockers and blow up screens and get to the sidelines or to zones in coverage.

I don't think there is any question, that Queen is the superioer athlete. Just faster, smooth and with better bend. The fundamentals and knowing what to do and see plays before they happen is where he will have to elevate his game.

I think every draft analysis on him still fits like a glove. We got exactly what we had anticipated. On his heels against a complex Andy Reid offense he will struggle till he learns the game. Against the Bengals where he is allowed to hunt, well, we get what we saw yesterday.

We are 4-1 after 5 weeks, and most of us (along with the team) feel we haven't played up to our potential.

We have been fortunate to only have 1 great opponent in the Chiefs, but unfortunately we got manhandled in that game and we never managed to play up to their ability, We are good enough to beat up on bad teams without playing well - that is a positive thing, but it is also concerning, that against these opponents we haven't been able to pass the ball as we want to/run the ball with consistency. 

I hope we go into the bye week with a win against the Eagles, and then manage to keep the bubble intact with no positive COVID tests, and then come out of the bye with better gameplans and potentially go "back to basics" and with a better receiver rotation. I really feel Duvernay is on his way to exceed Boykin in snaps on offense and we can work with him and Brown to create conflict on the back end of the secondary.

Boykin is a head scratcher, as he has the ability to get open and is a guy Lamar look towards when the play breaks down, but there is just a lack of play recognition from Boykin that keeps him from producing. I have wondered if he should move more into the slot and get seam and post routes and deep comebacks, just to try to get him open in other ways and against linebackers and safeties.

• Like 2

I don't see Boykin surprising us at this point. He is what he is. 

He doesn't create impact plays and we clearly aren't good at scheming impact out of him. Bad combo. Best guess is he'll be faded to WR4/5 next season and on his way to being cut if he can't carve out a special teams role like Chris Moore was able to. Brown and Duvernay will be the 'guys' going forward and I'm sure the FO will invest in another shot at a playmaker to pair with them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

How about get Boykin to put on 10 lbs. and move him to TE?

I think it could be considered. The guy is a great blocker, athletic and able to make catches. I also notice him on several special teams, both punt block/returns and on coverage units. He is not worthless and I also have to point towards every draft scout/analysis on him, that had him as a big projection. I think thedraftnetwork sums it up well:

What an exciting prospect Miles Boykin could develop into. He'll need plenty of time, patience and coaching, however. Boykin is primed to enter the league with minimal technique, he's far too prone to lean on his size and athletic ability vs. creating separation with his feet and his route stems/breaks. Boykin gets knocked around at the LOS and struggles to stack man to man coverage with consistency, rendering his rare physical skills as nearly useless. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/miles-boykin

He is still only in his 2 year, so it is not surprise he is still not where we want him to be.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Danand said:

We are 4-1 after 5 weeks, and most of us (along with the team) feel we haven't played up to our potential.

We have been fortunate to only have 1 great opponent in the Chiefs, but unfortunately we got manhandled in that game and we never managed to play up to their ability, We are good enough to beat up on bad teams without playing well - that is a positive thing, but it is also concerning, that against these opponents we haven't been able to pass the ball as we want to/run the ball with consistency. 

I hope we go into the bye week with a win against the Eagles, and then manage to keep the bubble intact with no positive COVID tests, and then come out of the bye with better gameplans and potentially go "back to basics" and with a better receiver rotation. I really feel Duvernay is on his way to exceed Boykin in snaps on offense and we can work with him and Brown to create conflict on the back end of the secondary.

Boykin is a head scratcher, as he has the ability to get open and is a guy Lamar look towards when the play breaks down, but there is just a lack of play recognition from Boykin that keeps him from producing. I have wondered if he should move more into the slot and get seam and post routes and deep comebacks, just to try to get him open in other ways and against linebackers and safeties.

It's worth pointing out that overall this team has been better through 5 weeks than last year's team, which was a historically great regular season team. One reason I'm not too bothered by certain aspects not being sharp right now or that we don't have wins vs great teams (the Browns certainly look like a playoff team though). We're in the middle of the attrition part of the schedule, so it's W's and health that matter. I do think there are some things that need to be worked out schematically: passing routes to non-Brown/Andrews targets, interior O-line, zone defense..., and I want them to test and work on those during the season. I don't need to see that Gus and Dobbins can quickly ice out a win against the Bengals, like some Ravens fans want. They will be more dangerous later in the season with fresher legs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

It's worth pointing out that overall this team has been better through 5 weeks than last year's team, which was a historically great regular season team. One reason I'm not too bothered by certain aspects not being sharp right now or that we don't have wins vs great teams (the Browns certainly look like a playoff team though). We're in the middle of the attrition part of the schedule, so it's W's and health that matter. I do think there are some things that need to be worked out schematically: passing routes to non-Brown/Andrews targets, interior O-line, zone defense..., and I want them to test and work on those during the season. I don't need to see that Gus and Dobbins can quickly ice out a win against the Bengals, like some Ravens fans want. They will be more dangerous later in the season with fresher legs.

This x100. With no pre-season and limited TC, we need as many reps as we can get for the weaker parts of our team.

7 hours ago, Danand said:

Still worth noting that we're the comfortable leaders across league in point differential. While there's a lot to improve upon, the results have been pretty damn good. I think that's a good place to be early in the season, personally.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Exactly. I think it was very clear that the team could have iced the game at any point if they really wanted to. Instead they chose to work on things, try some things out, etc. The end product could have definitely looked sharper, but they probably could have salted away the second half, won by 30+ and kept the Bengals off the scoreboard entirely if they prioritized that vs. treating the second half more like preseason. It's like a cat playing with a mouse, could kill it if it wanted to , but would rather toss it in the air and swat it a couple of times first.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well working with the weaker parts of our team starts with actually having better plays, because continuing to have Lamar pass with these concepts when they're not working ain't it, chief.

I absolutely agree... but can we realistically expect anything from Roman in that regard?