2021 NFL Draft Thread

7 hours ago, 4209 said:

Somebody may have already posted info on this player, so I maybe late on this one. Man this guy is has a good burst and good at stealing the ball. Has some good coverage range in the short and intermediate middle of the field.  Need to see more video's  of him against the run. But over all could be a 3 down player. To bad he torn his acl last yr. Hmm that will hurt him. May not be ready until late in the season.

There’s better players without injury. Yes eventually he will become a value pick but this years class is actually good. And that rarely happens I’m so so on him. Elite athlete not elite instincts. Gets caught looking a lot and trying to jump plays instead of holding his assignment. Saftey is a very disciplined position. You have to accept you may get 3 chances all game to make a play. And until those three deep passes you have to hold back and cover your deep zone. He forgets this a lot and it’s why he had amazing numbers the year before last but he gives up huge plays and in the NFL you make less of the splashes but you tend to get burnt more when you see these traits on film.

He has all world ability if he can be coached and learn patience he can be a solid pro. Even a consistent pro bowler with his range. But there are def better players and much better tacklers. He’s not my guy you can’t be soft for me to like you as my last level defender.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Caden Sterns is the safety with all-pro potential that I’d rather take a late round flyer on. Cisco just worries me that he will be like Apke and not have deep zone discipline. 

He shows it on film that he doesn’t. He can jump a route but QB’s in the NFL will be pumping him to death if he can’t progress his decision making. Caden is a big physical saftey more along the lines of what we have in Collins. Sterns is better at coverage then Collins but he’s not what we’re looking for in that dept. I do agree he has all pro talent though. I just think if we have him then we’re misshandling Curl out of position. Ideally for me you want two physical safety’s that can still cover the back end. Sterns IMO is a lot like Moreig where they trail very well but they get lost in zones.

Check out Paris Ford. He and Curl are similar in the fact they can cover the deep but are super physical and instinctive. I think today’s game you want guys who will do their job deep but if you have two curls you can really get creative. They both can be responsible for the deep but you can mix and match them and really confuse QB’s. Both have FS ability but both wreak havoc against the run and screens and all over TE’s. I know they have him rated low but I’m telling you Paris Ford is a STUD. This guy is going to be a steal.

check out Jamar Johnson as well. This guy is an exciting prospect. 

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

I do wonder if they local beat guys are just making stuff up at this point? If there’s basically no leaks at all coming out of the building then I would assume there’s not much for them to talk about so they’re just looking at a potential position of need, looking at the prospect rankings and then going “Washington has interest”.

I am worried though with Mayhew and Hurney running the draft. I won’t lie about that. They haven’t exactly been the pillars of success as far as picks are concerned. I’ll support whoever they pick but I am worried they’ll reach to fill a need. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I do wonder if they local beat guys are just making stuff up at this point? If there’s basically no leaks at all coming out of the building then I would assume there’s not much for them to talk about so they’re just looking at a potential position of need, looking at the prospect rankings and then going “Washington has interest”.

I am worried though with Mayhew and Hurney running the draft. I won’t lie about that. They haven’t exactly been the pillars of success as far as picks are concerned. I’ll support whoever they pick but I am worried they’ll reach to fill a need. 

I admit I’m alittle worried about this draft because this one is super critical. You can say that any year but this year the needs meet the value of you don’t reach in any of the rounds. And when I say that as long as you don’t pick the wrong QB then we really have a chance to turn this roster into a legit contender and not just in the East. We need a top level OL there’s good ones early. We need a QB of the defense and this class is loaded. We need a saftey this is the best class in recent memory. Last years was loaded with hybrid guys this year is loaded with a variety of different skill sets. So if we make the right decision at QB I believe we have a real chance to top this roster off in this class. Of course the season injuries and things will happen where we have needs next year. But this class can be the last important core draft if we can really just hit one more haul out the park

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Ben Standig says he thinks they’ll take Alijah Vera Tucker if he’s there which would absolutely infuriate me. If we pick another guard in the first round I’ll be extremely disappointed. There’s almost no reason whatsoever to spend a first round pick on a guard unless you’re getting Quenton Nelson. It’s bad enough we spent a top 5 pick on a guard now we’re going to spend another first round pick on a guard to replace him? Lol

Well unless they know they’re going to trade Scherff or not going to keep Scherff past this season.

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

He shows it on film that he doesn’t. He can jump a route but QB’s in the NFL will be pumping him to death if he can’t progress his decision making. Caden is a big physical saftey more along the lines of what we have in Collins. Sterns is better at coverage then Collins but he’s not what we’re looking for in that dept. I do agree he has all pro talent though. I just think if we have him then we’re misshandling Curl out of position. Ideally for me you want two physical safety’s that can still cover the back end. Sterns IMO is a lot like Moreig where they trail very well but they get lost in zones.

Check out Paris Ford. He and Curl are similar in the fact they can cover the deep but are super physical and instinctive. I think today’s game you want guys who will do their job deep but if you have two curls you can really get creative. They both can be responsible for the deep but you can mix and match them and really confuse QB’s. Both have FS ability but both wreak havoc against the run and screens and all over TE’s. I know they have him rated low but I’m telling you Paris Ford is a STUD. This guy is going to be a steal.

check out Jamar Johnson as well. This guy is an exciting prospect. 

I really like Jamar Johnson. Paris Ford scares me with his very slow 40. Even though on tape he doesn’t look that slow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I trust Keim, he seems to always have good info. The rest of them I tend to agree that there aren’t leaks so they’re all just guessing like the rest of us.

Mayhew built the Lions into a playoff team partly through the draft and partly through FA. He also was part of the San Fran front office that built that team to a Super Bowl team. I think he needs to be given the benefit of doubt.

I don’t know what Hurney’s role really is but I get the feeling that he’s more of an adviser & Rivera, Mayhew are making the decisions while Grimble and his scouting team are doing that work.

1 hour ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I really like Jamar Johnson. Paris Ford scares me with his very slow 40. Even though on tape he doesn’t look that slow. 

Idk what he ran. But I know what he plays at. There’s something I believe in. I believe football players train to play football. The truth is just about anyone of these guys can gain almost .10th of a second or so if they train full time to run. People can run in the 4.3’s and play at 4.55. Some guys play at 4.4 and run 4.6’s. I tend not to hold too much on a 40 because really the first 10 yards are always the true measure. Your burst or your start and stop and go. Ford may not run fast but that mental is exactly what you want on the back end. Field a defense full of dogs!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Idk what he ran. But I know what he plays at. There’s something I believe in. I believe football players train to play football. The truth is just about anyone of these guys can gain almost .10th of a second or so if they train full time to run. People can run in the 4.3’s and play at 4.55. Some guys play at 4.4 and run 4.6’s. I tend not to hold too much on a 40 because really the first 10 yards are always the true measure. Your burst or your start and stop and go. Ford may not run fast but that mental is exactly what you want on the back end. Field a defense full of dogs!!!

I try not to hold to much against people when it comes to measurements and times. Usually just use it to confirm stuff I see on the field. That’s why fords is so confusing. If he ran a 4.7 I wouldn’t even be mad, even though still not great. But I want to say it was like a 4.9 That he ran. Which is kinda scary when trying to cover people who run 4.3 or 4.4. I still wouldn’t be mad about taking a late round flyer on Ford though, because he will fall because of his pro day. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I try not to hold to much against people when it comes to measurements and times. Usually just use it to confirm stuff I see on the field. That’s why fords is so confusing. If he ran a 4.7 I wouldn’t even be mad, even though still not great. But I want to say it was like a 4.9 That he ran. Which is kinda scary when trying to cover people who run 4.3 or 4.4. I still wouldn’t be mad about taking a late round flyer on Ford though, because he will fall because of his pro day. 

Dang I’m gonna have to look that up a 4.9 is nuts. But yeah I’d say he will fall hopefully right into our laps

3 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Could be the field, that Heinz Field is not a good field and maybe also he was a bit out of shape.

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Dang I’m gonna have to look that up a 4.9 is nuts. But yeah I’d say he will fall hopefully right into our laps

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/story/_/id/31182317/nfl-pro-day-takeaways-2021-nfl-draft-coveted-qb-class-opt-riddles-which-prospects-rising%3fplatform=amp

4.83 was his best time. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Thanks brother yeah he def plays more in the high 4.5s but there could be something because maybe he just plays faster then he actually is because his instincts. But as you said it could be the field and just so many things. One thing is clear on tape he gets to where he’s going with bad intentions or the ball just seems to find him. I mean I never like comparing simply because each person is different but Vontaz ran a 5.10 and he always showed up on the field. But we’ve seen a ton of good players overcome bad pro days. I think this is def something scouts would need to investigate. But again just because I love what I see, this class is loaded at his position. I’m very high on Javon Holland. And just a bunch they all have something special actually. The UCF kid I like a lot. I love safety’s that have a feelin space but also have some CB experience. This is one of the few positions I believe we have options throughout and don’t have to force if a better players avalible

• Like 1