2021 NFL Draft Thread

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Don’t know how accurate this tweet is but thought I’d share it. 

Sure, they're calling around. The question is whether they can find a price that would be acceptable to both sides to actually move up. The rest of the league can look at the fact that Dallas, Giants, and Philadelphia are back-to-back-to-back and know that none of those teams will help Washington, and will do their best to hurt them (so Philadelphia might accept less from New England to take a Trey Lance or Justin Fields off the table).

As such, Washington is likely going to have a pay a premium to move up into the top nine.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The issue we have is, Fitzpatrick could be just a one year rental. Heinicke & Kyle Allen are under 30 but likely not anything more than back up material.

Agreed, but I think the benefit of renting Fitzmagic was that Washington wouldn't be desperate for a starter in 2021.  No need to waste so much capital for the fifth or sixth best QB in this draft.

Next years QB class isn’t supposed to be as good as years.

There might be some recency bias here.  Speaking for myself, there are at least 2 2022 QBs that already interest me.  I'd rather take a shot at them next spring than spend a first round 2021 pick on a project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Agreed, but I think the benefit of renting Fitzmagic was that Washington wouldn't be desperate for a starter in 2021.  No need to waste so much capital for the fifth or sixth best QB in this draft.

There might be some recency bias here.  Speaking for myself, there are at least 2 2022 QBs that already interest me.  I'd rather take a shot at them next spring than spend a first round 2021 pick on a project.

We’re going to be in the same position next year. I would bet any amount of money that this team with Fitzpatrick leading it this year will win anywhere from 7 to 9 games and be stuck next year taking the 4th or 5th best QB in the 2022 draft unless they’re going to trade up next year.

So, my point stands. Because they signed Ryan Fitzpatrick who keeps them a playoff contender but nothing more aka mediocre just like last year, they’re not going to be bad enough to pick top 10 w/o trading up. They’re just delaying the inevitable IMO because they signed Fitzpatrick to be a placeholder & if they don’t trade up for a QB this year that’s just delaying the need for a top QB one more year when we could trade up for the QB this year and have them sit, learn and develop and hopefully be ready to be the starter in 2022.

Edited by turtle28

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Hope so, going to be hard to beat last years class IMO and we didn’t even have a 2nd round pick last year.

We just can’t afford to get a bottom 15 QB in the league. Anything above that and your talking about really contending with a solid class around them. Now if we get a franchise guy we can really afford to miss everything else because I think a franchise guy and we’re drafting 24 or later. I actually believe we are that close with and it’s completely dependent on a franchise level guy. I love what we did in FA. If we steal the QB of this class this year I believe we are a contender next year and beyond

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

We just can’t afford to get a bottom 15 QB in the league. Anything above that and your talking about really contending with a solid class around them. Now if we get a franchise guy we can really afford to miss everything else because I think a franchise guy and we’re drafting 24 or later. I actually believe we are that close with and it’s completely dependent on a franchise level guy. I love what we did in FA. If we steal the QB of this class this year I believe we are a contender next year and beyond

I don’t understand your first point?

”We just can’t afford to get a bottom 15 QB in the league.”  

Can you please explain how that is relevant to my point that this years class is going to be hard to be better then last years class with Chase, Gibby & Curl in as well as we have a unknowns who could still work out like Charles, AGG, Ismael, Hudson & Smith-Williams?

Yeah, so my point was it’s going to be hard to beat last years draft class. We got Chase Young - an All-PRO DE talent, Antonio Gibson - what looks like a long term answer at RB who carried our offense in a lot of ways the second half of the year - and one of the best DBs in last years draft with Kamren Curl.

Looks like 3 long term starters who all started last year and were key cogs to us winning the division.

It’s going to be hard to beat what last years class gave up both in their rookie seasons and what I think they will give us for their careers here.

I guess the only way would be if we ended up moving up and drafting a QB who became our eventual franchise QB. Outside of that though, it’s going to be hard for any draft class to be better for us than Young, Gibson & Curl plus, we don’t even know exactly what we have in Charles, AGG, Ismael, Hudson & Smith-Williams yet as they were either injured basically all of last year, didn’t play or barely played, although Hudson definitely flashed when he had to play bc of KPL’s injury towards the end of the year. I definitely Charles is either going to be a starter this year or a starter for us in 2022 at any OL position but center.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t understand your first point?

”We just can’t afford to get a bottom 15 QB in the league.”  

Can you please explain how that is relevant to my point that this years class is going to be hard to be better then last years class with Chase, Gibby & Curl in as well as we have a unknowns who could still work out like Charles, AGG, Ismael, Hudson & Smith-Williams?

Yeah, so my point was it’s going to be hard to beat last years draft class. We got Chase Young - an All-PRO DE talent, Antonio Gibson - what looks like a long term answer at RB who carried our offense in a lot of ways the second half of the year - and one of the best DBs in last years draft with Kamren Curl.

Looks like 3 long term starters who all started last year and were key cogs to us winning the division.

It’s going to be hard to beat what last years class gave up both in their rookie seasons and what I think they will give us for their careers here.

I guess the only way would be if we ended up moving up and drafting a QB who became our eventual franchise QB. Outside of that though, it’s going to be hard for any draft class to be better for us than Young, Gibson & Curl plus, we don’t even know exactly what we have in Charles, AGG, Ismael, Hudson & Smith-Williams yet as they were either injured basically all of last year, didn’t play or barely played, although Hudson definitely flashed when he had to play bc of KPL’s injury towards the end of the year. I definitely Charles is either going to be a starter this year or a starter for us in 2022 at any OL position but center.

I wasn’t really comparing to last years. Last years I think is a very good haul. If we get a haul like that in this class then I think we’re SB contenders. To the QB position I think it’s very critical to not reach we have to trust this staff put in that work. Because IMO a lot is on the player at QB. But it really shows time and time again  that the system and the coaches and players around matter just as much outside of the all world top 5 freak guys. I think for this team to get a top 15 guy we can compete. I think if we get a top ten plus guy going forward then we’re a legit contender for SB’s. But what I meant was if we get that position right the rest of that years class is almost moot. But I do believe a great haul like last years will be hard to replicate. 
I hope we can. But I just think this is the year to get a cornerstone QB. I think one of these guys will be elite I think 2 will be really good and 4 or 5 of the rest will be mixed results. I think we are one of the few situations that can welcome an elite level growth. Our coaches this roster and the skillset of a few of the guys that just fit perfectly into what we’re doing

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

We’re going to be in the same position next year. I would bet any amount of money that this team with Fitzpatrick leading it this year will win anywhere from 7 to 9 games and be stuck next year taking the 4th or 5th best QB in the 2022 draft unless they’re going to trade up next year.

All true.  However, The Team has missed the boat in 2021, largely because the two top drafting franchises gobbled up the two best prospects and the remaining two starter quality QBs are likely to go before we can blink.  The brain trust needs to sell the farm but only if it's getting a franchise  QB.  Historically, the fifth best QB in any draft is unlikely to be a starter, let alone a franchise.

Next year, by my calculation, the teams drafting first and second rate to have existing starting QBs.  There may be fewer QB-hungry teams.  My point is that 2022 is likely to be a more propitious time to make a big move.

Incidentally, I think Washington will win the NFC-East again, after which anything is possible. 

(I have no problem with a Howell Movement or taking a project in a later round.)

11 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

All true.  However, The Team has missed the boat in 2021, largely because the two top drafting franchises gobbled up the two best prospects and the remaining two starter quality QBs are likely to go before we can blink.  The brain trust needs to sell the farm but only if it's getting a franchise  QB.  Historically, the fifth best QB in any draft is unlikely to be a starter, let alone a franchise.

Next year, by my calculation, the teams drafting first and second rate to have existing starting QBs.  There may be fewer QB-hungry teams.  My point is that 2022 is likely to be a more propitious time to make a big move.

Incidentally, I think Washington will win the NFC-East again, after which anything is possible. 

(I have no problem with a Howell Movement or taking a project in a later round.)

But if we win our division and Howell shows out how much do you think it costs to get into the top 3 next year? And I love Howell but Mac Brown puts out players with very similar questions to the Mac Jones and Justin Fields. I like Howell but his decision making is def a concern. Watched him a ton these last two seasons and I need to see him make the Jump next season

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

...how much do you think it costs to get into the top 3 next year?

A king's ransom.  Bigger than Lee Marvin's bar bill.

This is why The Team needs to absolutely nail it on Thursday.  It might be the last time we see Washington drafting in Round 1 before Milkdromeda.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I wasn’t really comparing to last years. Last years I think is a very good haul. If we get a haul like that in this class then I think we’re SB contenders. To the QB position I think it’s very critical to not reach we have to trust this staff put in that work. Because IMO a lot is on the player at QB. But it really shows time and time again  that the system and the coaches and players around matter just as much outside of the all world top 5 freak guys. I think for this team to get a top 15 guy we can compete. I think if we get a top ten plus guy going forward then we’re a legit contender for SB’s. But what I meant was if we get that position right the rest of that years class is almost moot. But I do believe a great haul like last years will be hard to replicate. 
I hope we can. But I just think this is the year to get a cornerstone QB. I think one of these guys will be elite I think 2 will be really good and 4 or 5 of the rest will be mixed results. I think we are one of the few situations that can welcome an elite level growth. Our coaches this roster and the skillset of a few of the guys that just fit perfectly into what we’re doing

The current “staff” Rivera, Hurney & Mayhew have only franchise caliber starters at QB with the #1 pick.

Why should we believe at this point that they can find a franchise QB who isn’t one of the top QBs taken in the draft when the only ones they’ve found is two #1 picks?

Matt Stafford & Cam Newton.

Well actually, I take that back, Marty Hurney signed Jake Delhomme in 2003. Jake became the Panthers starting QB, led them to a Super Bowl appearance and was within a Vinateri FG in the final seconds of winning a Super Bowl.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The current “staff” Rivera, Hurney & Mayhew have only franchise caliber starters at QB with the #1 pick.

Why should we believe at this point that they can find a franchise QB who isn’t one of the top QBs taken in the draft when the only ones they’ve found is two #1 picks?

Matt Stafford & Cam Newton.

Well actually, I take that back, Marty Hurney signed Jake Delhomme in 2003. Jake became the Panthers starting QB, led them to a Super Bowl appearance and was within a Vinateri FG in the final seconds of winning a Super Bowl.

Because I’d hope that in all there years they could have learned from other teams and even themselves. Both years this picks we’re pretty clear cut for me. I mean Von Miller would have been a great pick fro Ron but Cam had 50 TD’s and a national title and special traits never seen before with his size it was a easy pick and the right pick. 

8 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

A king's ransom.  Bigger than Lee Marvin's bar bill.

This is why The Team needs to absolutely nail it on Thursday.  It might be the last time we see Washington drafting in Round 1 before Milkdromeda.

I just think there are guys in this class you could pay a lot less and we can address holes in this and the next class around that. That kind of haul could seriously cripple the roster moving forward after that and I don’t have a higher grade on Howell right now then I do Mond so he’s not even a first rounder in this class. He does a lot of things well but he doesn’t have the arm talent of these guys. Now I do expect his decision making to improve next year but he will be without a ton of weapons from this season and last. I just worry he could regress. 

• Like 1