2021 NFL Draft Thread

I really don’t want us to trade up for a QB. I think we are better off selecting a Trask in round 2 or Mond or Mills in round 3. Keep Fitz, Heinicke and the rookie as our 3 QBs during the season (yes that means no more Allen). That first round pick needs to be BPA and 2 of the next 3 also need to be guys that can help with depth and playmakers on this roster. I do not think Fields or Lance would give us the QB we need to compete for the SB anymore than the next 3 guys might be able to in the next year or 2. Finish building this roster before we mortgage our future for wins. 

If we compete this season but look like we are a QB away. That makes our franchise look like a much better destination for a possible Aaron Rodgers trade or Wilson or the top free agent QB that might be available. Trading up and missing on a QB again would be so much more detrimental to this team than playing a season or 2 being a qb away from a SB. You can make a SB run with a talented team and mediocre QB, Hardly ever do you see a mediocre team with a good QB make it and win it though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I really don’t want us to trade up for a QB. I think we are better off selecting a Trask in round 2 or Mond or Mills in round 3. Keep Fitz, Heinicke and the rookie as our 3 QBs during the season (yes that means no more Allen). That first round pick needs to be BPA and 2 of the next 3 also need to be guys that can help with depth and playmakers on this roster. I do not think Fields or Lance would give us the QB we need to compete for the SB anymore than the next 3 guys might be able to in the next year or 2. Finish building this roster before we mortgage our future for wins. 

If we compete this season but look like we are a QB away. That makes our franchise look like a much better destination for a possible Aaron Rodgers trade or Wilson or the top free agent QB that might be available. Trading up and missing on a QB again would be so much more detrimental to this team than playing a season or 2 being a qb away from a SB. You can make a SB run with a talented team and mediocre QB, Hardly ever do you see a mediocre team with a good QB make it and win it though. 

You’ll never finish building a roster. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You’ll never finish building a roster. 

Exactly guys will be leaving when the DL stars getting resigned we need a QB in place to build off that you are completely right. It’s time to put one in place

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I just think there are guys in this class you could pay a lot less and we can address holes in this and the next class around that.

Agreed.  There are a number of QBs (e.g. Matt Corral, Tyler Shough, Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, JT Daniels, Spencer Rattler) being mentioned as Round #1 choices in 2022 and we haven't seen them play in 2021 yet.  No need to vaporlock on Howell yet. 

(The "Howell Movement" refers to a plan to trade a team's 2021 first round pick for the 2022 first round pick of a team likely to be selecting very early next year.)

That kind of haul could seriously cripple the roster moving forward

Exactly.  In my experience, breaking the bank is best reserved for when the QB is the "last missing piece" (e.g. San Francisco and New England).  The argument is that Washington isn't very far from that point.  The Team just needs to get there through this draft (and free agency) before selling the farm to trade up in 2022.

• Like 1

JT’s rankings underscore what has been a growing sense for me: if Fields does make it to 8, I would be on the phone with Carolina to see if they want to play ball. 

I consider he and Zach Wilson to be pretty much interchangeable — I don’t agree with JT there, I think he’s being a little contrarian because of all the helium Wilson has. And I think they’re both closer to Lawrence than most of the draftniks want to say. Trevor is a remarkable prospect, but not a perfect one. And when it comes to Fields and Lawrence, it is tough to just ignore the fact that Fields outplayed him head to head twice in the CFP. Clemson’s talent level was admittedly way down this past year compared to most years, but it wasn’t in 2019. 

I don’t think you get the chance to draft a guy with this kind of talent level very often. He’s an excellent thrower of the ball, and he’s a great big strong athlete. He’s been a winner, by reports he has a lot of intelligence and work ethic to speak of, and he’s not some Johnny-Come-Lately, he’s been deemed “on his way” to superstardom for a long long time. I don’t know why he would drop to 8, but it looks like he may — and if he does, I think that’s our Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson opportunity to make a move for The Guy™️.

And I should say, for the record, I’m not saying we should trade up to get whatever QB falls. I would not trade up at all for either Mac Jones or Trey Lance. But I would do it for Fields, if the price is anything approaching reasonable.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Agreed.  There are a number of QBs (e.g. Matt Corral, Tyler Shough, Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, JT Daniels, Spencer Rattler) being mentioned as Round #1 choices in 2022 and we haven't seen them play in 2021 yet.  No need to vaporlock on Howell yet. 

(The "Howell Movement" refers to a plan to trade a team's 2021 first round pick for the 2022 first round pick of a team likely to be selecting very early next year.)

Exactly.  In my experience, breaking the bank is best reserved for when the QB is the "last missing piece" (e.g. San Francisco and New England).  The argument is that Washington isn't very far from that point.  The Team just needs to get there through this draft (and free agency) before selling the farm to trade up in 2022.

I agree. And Matt Corral was sadly shot in the chest this weekend so we have no idea his playing status. Prays for him. But I get where your at I’m always thinking forward when I do my assessments and Slovis is a guy I’m intrigued by along with others but they have to make jumps in areas I have a ton of notes on these guys. Once the season is over I don’t change grades very often. But I do start preparing for the next season and I try to just keep up with reports so I can use stories to see if I need to note my rankings because of medical or other things

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

JT’s rankings underscore what has been a growing sense for me: if Fields does make it to 8, I would be on the phone with Carolina to see if they want to play ball. 

I consider he and Zach Wilson to be pretty much interchangeable — I don’t agree with JT there, I think he’s being a little contrarian because of all the helium Wilson has. And I think they’re both closer to Lawrence than most of the draftniks want to say. Trevor is a remarkable prospect, but not a perfect one. And when it comes to Fields and Lawrence, it is tough to just ignore the fact that Fields outplayed him head to head twice in the CFP. Clemson’s talent level was admittedly way down this past year compared to most years, but it wasn’t in 2019. 

I don’t think you get the chance to draft a guy with this kind of talent level very often. He’s an excellent thrower of the ball, and he’s a great big strong athlete. He’s been a winner, by reports he has a lot of intelligence and work ethic to speak of, and he’s not some Johnny-Come-Lately, he’s been deemed “on his way” to superstardom for a long long time. I don’t know why he would drop to 8, but it looks like he may — and if he does, I think that’s our Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson opportunity to make a move for The Guy™️.

And I should say, for the record, I’m not saying we should trade up to get whatever QB falls. I would not trade up at all for either Mac Jones or Trey Lance. But I would do it for Fields, if the price is anything approaching reasonable.

I agree with you. I think Fields is the one you move up for. Lance just has too many questions to sacrifice futures for. But I can see Lance going 3 to be perfectly honest. Idky

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-draft-betting-trey-lances-draft-odds-shifted-with-news-the-49ers-are-considering-him-at-no-3/ar-BB1g4f0b

NFL draft betting: Trey Lance's draft odds shifted with news the 49ers are considering him at No. 3

For those who want Lance it depends on what the 49ers do.

I have made my thoughts about trading up. Some many rumors and smoke screens. It's like this every yr. However I can't wait till Thursday. Be safe guys

Edited by 4209
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

The primary problem with this is that the 2022 QB class, by and large, looks like garbage. We can name guys off, but I’ve watched all those guys play a lot, and Howell and Rattler are the only ones that are even in the ballpark of a high 1st round grade for me.

I think each of my top 3 this year (Lawrence, Fields, Wilson) would easily be the top guy in next year’s class. And I think it would be a toss-up between Howell, Rattler, and the next two guys in this class (Lance and Jones) for the next spot behind them. Maybe one of those two takes a big step next year to the top tier of QB prospects — a little tough to imagine Howell doing so with his whole skill position group gone to the draft — or maybe someone else makes a huge Wilsonian/Mayfieldian rise to the top. But if that’s the case, that guy is gonna go #1. Or at least in the top 5. How are we going to get up that high?

It’s also an issue of timing. Based on the FA timelines of the youngs stars on the roster, this team really needs to open its window to compete by 2022 and be peaking by 2023-2024. We need our QB to be ready to play by then, not just a rookie finding his way.

Honestly, if we do pass on QBs this draft and are looking to trade the farm for a QB next season, I think it makes more sense for us to be targeting veterans (Watson, Wilson, Ryan, etc) than to be looking at one of those young guys.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

All true.  However, The Team has missed the boat in 2021, largely because the two top drafting franchises gobbled up the two best prospects and the remaining two starter quality QBs are likely to go before we can blink.  The brain trust needs to sell the farm but only if it's getting a franchise  QB.  Historically, the fifth best QB in any draft is unlikely to be a starter, let alone a franchise.

Next year, by my calculation, the teams drafting first and second rate to have existing starting QBs.  There may be fewer QB-hungry teams.  My point is that 2022 is likely to be a more propitious time to make a big move.

Incidentally, I think Washington will win the NFC-East again, after which anything is possible. 

(I have no problem with a Howell Movement or taking a project in a later round.)

Oh, so you’re guessing what the top team will be next year in the draft which actually means absolutely nothing because no one can predict that.

I think the top 4 QBs in this class will all be starters, and Trey Lance has a good chance to be. There’s no difference IMO between where we’ll be picking this year and next should as you said win the division again, which I doubt happen but if we do we’ll be picking 19th again.

We’d still have to trade up & we will have pushed drafting a QB high and developing back a year which to me is not a good thing.

I just don’t think we should push off getting the QB another year. That just doesn’t seem like the best play unless they really don’t like Fields, Jones or Lance which I don’t believe is true. I think they like them and will try to trade up for them.

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-draft-betting-trey-lances-draft-odds-shifted-with-news-the-49ers-are-considering-him-at-no-3/ar-BB1g4f0b

NFL draft betting: Trey Lance's draft odds shifted with news the 49ers are considering him at No. 3

For those who want Lance it depends on what the 49ers do.

I have made my thoughts about trading up. Some many rumors and smoke screens. It's like this every yr. However I can't wait till Thursday. Be safe guys

100% agree. All the so called “experts” act like they know, but the more and more time goes on it’s becoming more clear that no one has a clue who the 49ers are going to take at 3. 😂 

58 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The primary problem with this is that the 2022 QB class, by and large, looks like garbage. We can name guys off, but I’ve watched all those guys play a lot, and Howell and Rattler are the only ones that are even in the ballpark of a high 1st round grade for me.

I think each of my top 3 this year (Lawrence, Fields, Wilson) would easily be the top guy in next year’s class. And I think it would be a toss-up between Howell, Rattler, and the next two guys in this class (Lance and Jones) for the next spot behind them. Maybe one of those two takes a big step next year to the top tier of QB prospects — a little tough to imagine Howell doing so with his whole skill position group gone to the draft — or maybe someone else makes a huge Wilsonian/Mayfieldian rise to the top. But if that’s the case, that guy is gonna go #1. Or at least in the top 5. How are we going to get up that high?

It’s also an issue of timing. Based on the FA timelines of the youngs stars on the roster, this team really needs to open its window to compete by 2022 and be peaking by 2023-2024. We need our QB to be ready to play by then, not just a rookie finding his way.

Honestly, if we do pass on QBs this draft and are looking to trade the farm for a QB next season, I think it makes more sense for us to be targeting veterans (Watson, Wilson, Ryan, etc) than to be looking at one of those young guys.

The Office Reaction GIF

Next years class outside of Howell & maybe Rattler:

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

You have to find something going forward this year at the QB position, otherwise going forward we are going to be in a less than advantageous position to contend any more than the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs at best. If you think you can develop someone like Mond and get him in the 2nd round, then do so. If not, you need to work your way up to one of the top 5 guys somehow.

You cannot sit idly by as you wait for maybe something good to come up, you're going to watch the window slowly close over some years.