Which receiver should be acquired to help the offense improve?

Ray Reed

15 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

And this is why I wouldn't be happy with us getting rid of Gus simply for the right to pay Crowder a market contract. We're paying Gus nothing this year (all dollar saved will roll into next year, in which the cap may be flat or down a bit) AND we have the option to retain him cheaply for next year or deal him. I also don't know how we would know Crowder was another Landry/Woods, that's a fairly big assumption for a guy who is in his sixth season in the NFL. His career catch rate and Y/target are both below that of Willie Snead, for example.

True. But again. That’s where the tape evaluation comes into play. Because so does Landry and so does, say Tyler Boyd. 

I haven’t seen enough of Crowder to say his route releases are magical or that he operates in and out of the slot at a high level or that he’s elevated terrible QB play. That he is more than just a zone buster, like Snead.

As we already have Snead to excel in finding a soft spot between coverage and making himself available for his QB and having the toughness to continue to be relied upon in those circumstances. We don’t need that. Ideally that’s what Duvernay can provide, but with the speed to shred the seam to boot and enough speed that in man coverage he can win a few crossers and slants where Snead would fail to acquire the needed separation.

But with Crowder If he evaluates as a guy that has the ability to get open 1v1 consistently while being able to go into the slot on occasion and present toughness, he wouldn’t be my most ideal option, but he would be a viable upgrade to our WR situation. Considering the amount of 1v1 our defense runs and considering our corners, Crowder being able to dash our unit for 6 recs, 90 yds, 2 TDs seems encouraging. But I can’t recall if he produced as a result of busted coverages. Also less encouraging is the fact that he required 11 targets to make that happen.

Now in terms of the cost, it all depends on the evaluation. If Crowder isn’t THAT dude than I don’t want to even waste a 4th round pick on another Snead. But if he’s legit then he’s going to cost us in draft picks about the same value as what Gus Edwards is worth. Unless you’re simply saying that you think Gus is someone you deem untradeable at this point outside of a clear and obvious overpay until we get to the offseason because of his combined value as a runner as well as his low cap number.

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that POV as I think at that point in time his value is more likely to go back down than to go up further, but even if I disagree, I can understand that reasoning of thinking a guy is worth more to our team than what his actual fair market value might be. We’ve had a few players like that in our team history, so I get it.

5 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Sounds like you're defending actions of a guy who could benefit our team? I've long thought Suggs was a piece of trash for what he did. Let's actually say what happened instead of tiptoeing around it. He allegedly knocked his fiancé down and poured bleach all over her. That's inexcusable. 

Onto Antonio Brown. He wasn't a "Model citizen" until 2019. In 2017 he recorded a post game celebration where his coach had choice words for the Patriots and was fined. Made worse by the fact that it was learned that Facebook had paid him 244k to create content for them. 2018 he had a physical confrontation with his own QB and threw a football at him. Used social media to shade his team and angle for a trade. Add on all the incidences of 2019 and the stories of his mistreatment of a good amount of people he came in contact with. 

I don't see why Dallas would want to give up Gallup but I'd be all for it. Julio to me seems like a high risk low reward situation. I'm really not sure if his okay has deteriorated or he just needs a change of scenary. Also an expensive guy to have. I'd gladly take both guys, or a guy like Marvin Jones. 

Nah, not defending his actions. Matter of fact, I said if what he did is true, I hope he rots in jail.  Just saying the energy be selective when it comes to certain players in the NFL. Not singling you out or anything of that nature, but as you pointed to, Suggs didn't have a peachy background after what he did to his fiance, but we don't hear a beep from anyone saying he's a scumbag or detriment to a team. (Again, not saying you, but never heard a peep from this forum or elsewhere) Which is why I also pointed to the Dez situation. And my point of him being a model citizen was more of the fact that he didn't go into full meltdown mode until the incident with Big Ben in 2018. Even if I give you the 2017 recording (Which was dumb of him) He had still be in the league without a problem for 7 or so years. That's all I'm saying. It appeared that he was ready to get back on course with the Pats until the rape allegations came to. If it comes to be true he isn't a rapist, you damn right I'd want to kick the tires on him. Despite his recent off-field issues, he's still a helluva player that can potentially put the Ravens over the top.

To your point with Gallup, I don't think Dallas wants to part ways with him either. I feel the opposite with Julio though. I think he's a high reward and needs a change of scenery. I'm not sold on a Marvin Jones though. I feel if the Ravens were thinking of going that route, might as well stand pat with what they have. I don't think he'd be a difference here in Baltimore.

EDIT: Y'all leave my mans Gus Edwards alone! Crowder good right where he's at unless the Jets are taking a cool 5th.

Edited by RavensfanRD

On another note it turns out the Jets simply have everyone there on the table for the right price.

They can throw me down for a 2nd and a 4th for Denzel Mims. I know it’s a pipe dream, but just saying, EDC and Ozzie combine your powers and make it happen. One can hope I suppose.

edit: Though in reality, Julio would probably most help this team considering he’s a veteran and could likely step in day one and be the guy. I’m sure there will be WRs in this draft class i will becomes attached to once I begin to look deeper into it.

Edited by diamondbull424

40 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

What about Quinnen Williams? Who would be willing to give a 2nd and maybe a later pick for him. Not today the jets would accept that but let’s say they did who would take it? Can potentially give us more pass rush from the interior

Honestly we’re getting back to the point where draft picks are gonna be even more valuable. We’ve got too many young players were gonna have to lock up. Nothing above a 3rd round pick trade for me. 

1 hour ago, santiagomn8 said:

What about Quinnen Williams? Who would be willing to give a 2nd and maybe a later pick for him. Not today the jets would accept that but let’s say they did who would take it? Can potentially give us more pass rush from the interior

I'd take that easy, robbery.

Q is an ascending player with monster potential. Top ten in pass rush win and run stop rate last time I checked. On a Rookie contract no less. If he's really available we sure as F better be making calls. I suspect we made an offer/inquired last year, but rumor was he likely one of the few off limits then. 

Pairing him with Madubuike would give us a decent shot at the best interior duo league wide in a couple years. And right away it would be an appreciable boost. 

Edit: Here's the rate ranking I referenced- 

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 2

I doubt the Jets would accept a late 2nd for Q, but I'd definitely do it if they would

1 hour ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Honestly we’re getting back to the point where draft picks are gonna be even more valuable. We’ve got too many young players were gonna have to lock up. Nothing above a 3rd round pick trade for me. 

2 more years on a rookie contract at ~$3.5m and $5m plus the 5th year option if we'd want (the majority of his cap hit is the pro-rated signing bonus which would go on the Jets cap).  That's not the sort of contract that would preclude a good GM from being able to sign other players

Hey guys, just curious what Ravens fans think the chances are your front office would consider bringing in Antonio Brown in a few weeks?   With your need at WR and Marquise on the roster, its seems more likely than other places, but just wondering how Ravens fans would feel about it.  Thanks!

17 minutes ago, 43M said:

With your need at WR and Marquise on the roster, its seems more likely than other places, but just wondering how Ravens fans would feel about it.  Thanks!

Don't want him, simply because I don't want former Steelers on the squad. And he probably wouldn't be the best 'character guy' to have around during a pandemic afflicted season where trust and honesty are paramount. 

Other than that, I think he'd be a strong on field addition that would probably keep in line for the club. Don't see the FO pursuing him though, mostly because of COVID. No virus and I think there's a 70/80% chance we bring him in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Don't want him, simply because I don't want former Steelers on the squad. And he probably wouldn't be the best 'character guy' to have around during a pandemic afflicted season where trust and honesty are paramount. 

Other than that, I think he'd be a strong on field addition that would probably keep in line for the club. Don't see the FO pursuing him though, mostly because of COVID. No virus and I think there's a 70/80% chance we bring him in.

Not sure why you wouldnt bring in a former Steeler, especially if its one that can help you win games.   Not like Brown left on the best of terms anyway.  He would obviously extra motivated against us.

10 minutes ago, 43M said:

Not sure why you wouldnt bring in a former Steeler, especially if its one that can help you win games.   Not like Brown left on the best of terms anyway.  He would obviously extra motivated against us.

Well I think it's pretty self explanatory why a Ravens fan wouldn't want former Steelers on the team. TBH I don't even draft them for my fantasy teams.

I guess the whole it would hurt your fanbase to see him thrive in a Ravens uni, especially against the Steelers, thing would be somewhat of a saving grace but IDK. 

48 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Agree completely on all major points. Especially the Covid-19 compliance impacting the league. I think its a major reason as to why a guy like ET hasn’t been signed even though he has more than enough talent to have been on a roster by now. The low character, high talent mercenary types present less value in a Covid-19 season due to the potential problems they might cause with a lack of trust within the team as well as potential disciplines the league might cultivate onto a team with a reckless player who refuses to obey league policies. When a guy gets in a tiff because he can’t wear his same helmet, how do we think this guy might react if the team tells him (for example) “you can’t go to Florida on your bye week because we need you around for testing” or “you can’t Hit up strip clubs because of COVID-19”, etc... who knows what might be the thing that Antonio Brown finds to be a slight. Can we trust him not to go to blows with a teammate if say, Chuck Clark calls him out for some questionable habits unworthy of a professional?

In a normal season that’s a lot of variables to handle, but in this particular season, it’s too many negative potentialities present that, unless absolutely desperate (coach/GM likely to get fired if results aren’t had), no team should look to explore. Anthony Lynn seems to be on a hotter seat than I believe he should be, if for some reason its made known that a losing season would cost him his job, I could see a team like that making a play for Brown. Maybe.

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

He doesn’t want a former Steeler on the roster because of the rivalry more so. It’s like in basketball, its just weird seeing Rajon Rondo win a championship with the Lakers, there’s a reason that he’s the only player in NBA history to win a championship with both teams. It’s such a deep seeded rivalry that its just weird seeing guys win on both sides. By that same token a former PROMINENT Steeler (I mean LJ Fort is a little different as he was never particularly entrenched in rivalry lore, similar to how James Harrison while on our PS contributed nothing to the lore of our rivalry and thus he never “belonged” to the Ravens) being on the Ravens feels kind of like the old analogy of “kissing your sister.” Winning a championship would be somewhat offset by the taint of adding a former rival to the squad in order to accomplish such a feat.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Hey guys, just curious what Ravens fans think the chances are your front office would consider bringing in Antonio Brown in a few weeks?   With your need at WR and Marquise on the roster, its seems more likely than other places, but just wondering how Ravens fans would feel about it.  Thanks!

Personally, if I can get the job done but could need an upgrade, I would not want to invite a known selfcentered idiot with legal issues into my team and hope he will behave till we are finished working on an important project.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danand said:

Personally, if I can get the job done but could need an upgrade, I would not want to invite a known selfcentered idiot with legal issues into my team and hope he will behave till we are finished working on an important project.

That was more along the lines of what I expected to read in regards to why Ravens fans wouldn't want him.   However, given his fallout with us (he would be motivated against us) and his relationship with Marquise, I figured there would be some that were open to it.

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

That was more along the lines of what I expected to read in regards to why Ravens fans wouldn't want him.   However, given his fallout with us (he would be motivated against us) and his relationship with Marquise, I figured there would be some that were open to it.

There’s at least one in @RavensfanRD

Also if this weren’t a Covid-19 influenced season, I would be on board with picking him up as well. Heck, if the team actually signed him, I would be fully on board with it considering we our offense is too predictable as not only do we not utilize many modern route/motion concepts, but we also only have two receivers that can consistently beat man coverage in Andrews and Hollywood Brown. Thus defenses simply pay extra attention to them both and force our other weapons to beat them. With Devin Duvernay not quite experienced enough to be exclusively relied upon in such a role, adding another option would be enough of a boon to take our offense to another (more consistent) level by virtue of the consistency of the passing attack (regardless of predictability).

As it stands teams are doing far less zone than previous seasons (where Lamar is at his best) and far more man coverage. Adding a guy of Antonio Brown’s caliber that can separate from man coverage with the best of them would present another receiver option to expose defenses and prevent them from being able to slow down our passing attack with just using bracket coverage on Brown over the top and Andrews in the short to intermediate parts of the field. If they can’t have success in that way, they might attempt going back to more zone coverage where Lamar is at his best. So Brown would present a lovely and needed boost to the offense and team in general...

However that’s in a perfect universe. If the team has done its research and ultimately feels comfortable bringing him in, I would be all in for the move. But until that’s the case, I’ll support the team not signing him, if only because of the complex reasonings I listed previously. So I find him as an unrealistic option to bring in, but if he were brought in, I would be quite excited nonetheless.

• Like 1