Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Just now, Forge said:

And don't you forget it. Kyle going to make that kid tens of millions. 

hahahaha man for your sake I hope not, I just dont see ANY sort of elite traits to justify a top 5 pick, but the rumblings I have heard is that Kyle is undercover locked in on Jones. Do you have any insight on that?

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

hahahaha man for your sake I hope not, I just dont see ANY sort of elite traits to justify a top 5 pick, but the rumblings I have heard is that Kyle is undercover locked in on Jones. Do you have any insight on that?

Just about everyone talking thinks it will be Jones. I don't believe it, but I won't rule it out. I could easily see him picking Mccorkle because what shanny really wants is to play qb.

But it would make no real sense to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just about everyone talking thinks it will be Jones. I don't believe it, but I won't rule it out. I could easily see him picking Mccorkle because what shanny really wants is to play qb.

But it would make no real sense to me. 

I sort of hope it is just because of the cluster bleep it would cause at #4/#5/#6 picks in the draft with Lance/Fields on the board. I look at the Panthers/Broncos at #8/#9 overall sitting there salivating to trade up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I sort of hope it is just because of the cluster bleep it would cause at #4/#5/#6 picks in the draft with Lance/Fields on the board. I look at the Panthers/Broncos at #8/#9 overall sitting there salivating to trade up.

I alternate every day between Lance and fields but the chaos of Mac would be amazing

If the top 4 teams actually do go QB I think this year, like last year, being QB 3/4 might actually be a better situation for the player than being QB 1/2. 

Like this year Lawerence and Wilson, assuming they go #1/2, will be going to teams with rookie head coaches where they're expected to start from day one. In Lawerence's case the Jaguars actually have a decent group of young weapons with Robinson, Shenault, and Chark. But Urban Meyer has never coached at the NFL level and IIRC most college coaches have had pretty limited success in the NFL outside of a couple of guys like Pete Carrol. 

And in Wilson's case the Jets just hired Saleh who's a defensive minded head coach and they really lack weapons across the board. I'd say one of the main reasons that Darnold was such a huge flop was because he never really had a ton of talent around him in addition to playing for Gase. 

With Lance and Fields, in whichever order they go, they'll be going into much more favorable situations. Obviously San Francisco is the best landing spot for any of the top QB's with Shanahan, the ability to RS for a year, and the offensive pieces that they already have. But in Atlanta either guy would also be going to play for an offensive minded head coach in Arthur Smith and would be able to take a redshirt year behind a future HOFer in Matt Ryan. 

22 hours ago, Forge said:

Who was the last successful alabama qb? How successful have they been recently?

It's preposterous than anyone would hold previous QBs against fields. 

One thing that's interesting to me though is that when you look at the last 5 draft cycles or so and the best young quarterbacks in the league, the majority of those guys weren't the 1st/2nd QB taken and/or didn't come out of a big school. 

Dak Prescott: 8th QB taken and played at Mississippi State

Patrick Mahomes: 2nd QB taken and played at Texas Tech 

Deshaun Watson: 3rd QB taken and played at a powerhouse program in Clemson

Josh Allen: 3rd QB taken and played at Wyoming 

Lamar Jackson: 4th QB taken and played at Louisville 

Kyler Murray: 1st QB taken and played at a powerhouse program in Oklahoma 

Justin Herbert: 3rd QB taken and played at Oregon 

So of the that list only 2/7 played at CFP type of programs (Watson/Murray) and only 1/7 (Murray) was the 1st QB off the board. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One thing that's interesting to me though is that when you look at the last 5 draft cycles or so and the best young quarterbacks in the league, the majority of those guys weren't the 1st/2nd QB taken and/or didn't come out of a big school. 

So of the that list only 2/7 played at CFP type of programs (Watson/Murray) and only 1/7 (Murray) was the 1st QB off the board. 

I would argue in the past 20 years that Oregon would be considered a powerhouse program.

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Baker and Tua were also highly drafted and went to powerhouse programs.  Tua might not meet the best young QB part yet, but Baker should be on the list.

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Baker and Tua were also highly drafted and went to powerhouse programs.  Tua might not meet the best young QB part yet, but Baker should be on the list.

Baker's good but I'd put him in a tier below the guys that I mentioned. 

But bringing up Baker also brings up another point that I've been seeing, quarterback success is very heavily dependent on the situation they end up in. Because even in the one year that Baker has led the Browns to the playoffs he didn't put up great numbers and their running game was what powered the offense. 

Tua definitely doesn't mean the best young QB tier yet, not even close. The Raiders literally had the worst defense in franchise history last season and Tua couldn't move the ball against us. As soon as Fitzpatrick came into the game they sliced our defense like a hot knife through butter. 

16 minutes ago, Tubthumper said:

I would argue in the past 20 years that Oregon would be considered a powerhouse program.

They had a pretty nice 6 year stretch under Chip Kelly's 4 years and during Mark Helfrich's first two years but they're definitely far from a powerhouse program. Over the last 6 years they've had one 10+ win season and that was the only year they finished ranked in the top 10 over that period, which was also Herbert's senior year. Since 2016 they've only had 12 players drafted with Buckner and Herbert as the only two players that have been taken in the first 2 rounds. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They had a pretty nice 6 year stretch under Chip Kelly's 4 years and during Mark Helfrich's first two years but they're definitely far from a powerhouse program. Over the last 6 years they've had one 10+ win season and that was the only year they finished ranked in the top 10 over that period, which was also Herbert's senior year. Since 2016 they've only had 12 players drafted with Buckner and Herbert as the only two players that have been taken in the first 2 rounds. 

Conveniently leaves out 2015 where they had the second overall player drafted, another top 20 player and a player in the 2nd.

• Like 1