Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Mac Jones has subtle pocket skills that really impress me. He can move within a small area and create a new pocket within a closing pass rush (sacked 10 times last year).

He’s good enough to win on a good team and that gets QBs drafted in round 1 if they appeal enough to a team. If he can step in seamlessly on a good team he should succeed. He might face some more challenges on a team devoid of talent and/or high level coaching. That could be an issue but he projects as an about average passer with upside to become a discussed top ten player at the position in a perfect environment. 

You put him in a place like San Francisco while his athletic measurements aren’t elite, a 4.79 suggests he can move around in the NFL. Add in the YAC dynamic ability of the team around him and you’ve got a program worth could be worth building around for the next 4-5 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

Mac Jones has subtle pocket skills that really impress me. He can move within a small area and create a new pocket within a closing pass rush (sacked 10 times last year).

He’s good enough to win on a good team and that gets QBs drafted in round 1 if they appeal enough to a team. If he can step in seamlessly on a good team he should succeed. He might face some more challenges on a team devoid of talent and/or high level coaching. That could be an issue but he projects as an about average passer with upside to become a discussed top ten player at the position in a perfect environment. 

You put him in a place like San Francisco while his athletic measurements aren’t elite, a 4.79 suggests he can move around in the NFL. Add in the YAC dynamic ability of the team around him and you’ve got a program worth could be worth building around for the next 4-5 years.

His movement skills in the pocket with that athletic profile screams Matt Stafford (without the arm).  The rest of his game is closer to Derek Carr in my opinion. It's pretty solid. First rounder. Best case scenario is that New Orleans gets a hold of him. 

But hes not a QB I'm likely to feel super comfortable giving a second contract to if that requires 13-15% of the cap. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

His movement skills in the pocket with that athletic profile screams Matt Stafford (without the arm).  The rest of his game is closer to Derek Carr in my opinion. It's pretty solid. First rounder. Best case scenario is that New Orleans gets a hold of him. 

But hes not a QB I'm likely to feel super comfortable giving a second contract to if that requires 13-15% of the cap. 

Football gods please somehow let this happen! 

John Beck is a smart coach. It was great that Wilson worked with him this past year. Beck also helped Herbert a lot last year also.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

Just before the workout, news of the Niners-Dolphins trade broke. Beck didn’t tell Wilson about it until afterward, but he smiled when it went down, as he thought it might after hearing rumblings that a deal was in the works. Why? Well, he’d geared Wilson’s pro-day script—which had more than 60 throws and incorporated a lot of play-action and keeper-game throws, as well as downfield drive and off-spot throws—to play on tenets of Kyle Shanahan’s offense.

He did it because the teams picking second and fourth run that scheme, and because he had insight into it, having played for Shanahan in Washington in 2010 and '11. And with the deal, the teams with picks two through four were running that offense, with Shanahan himself in the mix.

In other words, what Beck and Wilson put together was more or less built on the mission statement of whichever company he’ll wind up working for, even if the Jets were to pass on him. Even better, as Beck sees it, getting to one of said companies would be a perfect result.

“It’s the perfect fit,” Beck says. “They want somebody who can get the ball out quick, make quick decisions go through progressions and know where and why. He can do that. Once he processes it, does he have to move off the spot and deliver an accurate ball? He can do that. In play-action game, can he get out on the edge and throw on the run? He can do that. In the keeper game where they want to take their shots, can he pull up quickly and get the ball downfield in a split-second? He can do that. 

“I just think what Zach brings to the table, and what that offense is asking of the quarterback, is such a great match.”

So, I don't believe the Mac Jones at 3 hype. While some point out Shanny's SB QBs had previously, what about the QBs of the teams of the teams he Super Bowls lost to? (Not an original thought, DJ and Bucky brought it up) While I don't agree with the idea of Matt Ryan not escaping pressure leading to that loss (not running the ball up 28-3? I digress), however the point of Mahomes escaping the 49ers d to complete it to Hill i can get behind.

Folks say Shanahan is stubborn/ proud (thus being able to stay with Cousins et al type QBs), but I don't think he's dumb (completely, again not running the ball). He, and the niners in general, certainly see what's going on in this copy cat league, with mobile QBs being "it." Throw in SF not being a team who leaks much, I'm not believing the Jones hype until the pick occurs.

TL;DR, feel like the pick is actually Fields or Lance and not Mac

Edited by BowlesDawgDX
bad syntax
  • Like 2

I don't understand the Jones at 3 hype much either.. but my main question is why? 

Why put up the smokescreen when you really have nobody to try and confuse. Isn't it all but guaranteed that Lawrence/Wilson are the first two picks? If the draft really starts at 3, it doesn't matter what SF says because nobody can stop them from taking their guy. 

Is Fields their guy and they think there is a chance the Jets go after him at 2 instead of Wilson? Wouldn't they want to have their coach/gm at his pro day to be sure he is the guy they want to pick? 

It all seems really fishy to me

23 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I don't understand the Jones at 3 hype much either.. but my main question is why? 

Why put up the smokescreen when you really have nobody to try and confuse. Isn't it all but guaranteed that Lawrence/Wilson are the first two picks? If the draft really starts at 3, it doesn't matter what SF says because nobody can stop them from taking their guy. 

Is Fields their guy and they think there is a chance the Jets go after him at 2 instead of Wilson? Wouldn't they want to have their coach/gm at his pro day to be sure he is the guy they want to pick? 

It all seems really fishy to me

Why would you give up any information for no reason? Any information just helps other teams. It doesn't hurt the 9ers at all to play the part. 

What if someone did make a godfather offer to the Jets? 

There's no reason not to keep up the smoke screen. It's not like the Jets are advertising a selection of Wilson. Everyone is 99% sure that they are doing it, but the Jets aren't confirming anything. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think FF is way higher on Fields more than the league is.

Lance is the true question mark in the draft obviously there isn't enough film on him for teams to really judge.

Jones is considered safe but to what extent? Giving up 2 1's and 3 needs a huge payoff not a safe payoff. 

49ers have me scratching my head. 

Shanahan worked with Fields as apart of QB Collective

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/2021-nfl-draft-kyle-shanahan-worked-out-justin-fields-qb-camp

Do the 49ers have a particular quarterback in mind? It remains unclear, but this photo from a workout at the QB Collective seems to indicate that Ohio State's Justin Fields was in a workout with none other than 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan.

The only pro-style quarterback development pipeline led by the coaches who (just might) draft you.#QBCollective pic.twitter.com/dwOFaHBubi

— QB Collective (@QBCollective) March 3, 2021

The QB Collective is a "pro-style development pipeline" for high school athletes looking to refine their skills at quarterback. The staff features a number of current and former NFL coaches, including Shanahan, his father Mike, 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel, and division rival head coach of the Los Angeles Rams Sean McVay.

Fields is the player featured on the home page when you go to the company's website, and he clearly has continued his work with the experienced staff as he prepares for the draft.

Fields appears to be much younger in the photo, so this workout likely came when he was in high school or earlier in his college career.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Why would you give up any information for no reason? Any information just helps other teams. It doesn't hurt the 9ers at all to play the part. 

What if someone did make a godfather offer to the Jets? 

There's no reason not to keep up the smoke screen. It's not like the Jets are advertising a selection of Wilson. Everyone is 99% sure that they are doing it, but the Jets aren't confirming anything. 

Also good to not pigeon hole yourself into 1 guy when anything can happen. What if Wilson and Fields wake up one day and decide they do not wanna do this anymore. Nothing's for sure until the day of the draft and you're OTC. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

That’s assuming the Jets are all-in on Wilson. Also assumes a team like Atalanta, Carolina, or Denver absolutely won’t friggin send it at NYJ to get ahead of SF. Both of those are probably unlikely, but not impossible. Costs nothing to make it ambiguous, even if you know exactly who you want to pick at 3.

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Maybe. Maybe you want to look at Mac Jones, just to really make sure you’re not making a mistake. Or if I know I’m taking Fields - what is attending his pro day going to do?