Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I don’t know if Shanahans personal connection to Fields would be a factor, but I’d be willing to bet if it is, it’s in a positive way. Fields is a great kid, an unquestioned leader on that Ohio State team. I don’t know if this has been talked about on here, but in OSU’s offense, they ask the receivers to make adjustments in their route based on how the corner is playing. Fields gets knocked for holding the ball, and his ability to read defense. I think a lot of times he’s waiting for the receiver to adjust his route before throwing the ball.   

So he isn’t throwing with anticipation? That’s no bueno. 

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

I agree about Shanahan, but remember he adjusted his scheme to enable RG3 to be successful.  Fields is already further along than RG3 as a passer.  Shanahan might have big eyes about a non brittle RG3 who has the chance to be a good passer.

I am going to laugh if they choose Mac Jones at #3.  There is no need to trade up like that for a Mac Jones.  I can't believe they would do that.

Pretty sure the Shanahans didn't even want RG3 though. That was just great coaching to get him the roty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am going to laugh if they choose Mac Jones at #3.  There is no need to trade up like that for a Mac Jones.  I can't believe they would do that.

Why Mac Jones could easily go top 10. Maybe they got a tip that the Falcons are interested in him at pick #4. There's also been rumors of him going to the Panthers pick #8. Regardless, Mac Jones is a stud and I think he'd thrive in San Fran.

• Like 1

My money is on Fields to the 49ers. He obviously has the phyical and athletic traits, but more importantly great character, strong leadership and most importantly he throws a beatiful accurate ball. His main weakness is throwing with anticipation and sometimes takes too long processing from what I've seen. That said, the Shanahan offense is excellent for a QB who is maybe a slower processor (still young enough to improve) or isn't the best at throwing guys open. Shanny offense is more like "see it - throw it" in terms of hitting your receivers. Based on the outside zone run and boot action game with Fields' athleticism and arm talent, my money is on him going 3rd overall.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Lombardi is just always wrong. He's jlc with a better resume. Mm went from fields one day to mccorkle the next. None of this is reporting, just all guess work by reporters. 

Lombardi might have the better resume.........but Jamie Lee Curtis has the better bod. 😎

• Like 1

San Francisco also got a picture from its scouts of the 2022 draft at the position, and it was bleak in comparison to ’21. That meant not taking one they liked this year would likely mean going into ’22, the final year of Garoppolo’s contract, with far fewer options on the table.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

Found this interesting

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

It is, but guys break away every year. Before last season it was Lawrence then Fields then mostly nothing (Lance actually might have gotten some hype). There was talk of maybe Newman. Wilson and Jones weren't on radars much. Trask I don't think so either. 

Just now, Danger said:

Not even joking, Tom Brady is in far better shape there than Mac Jones.

I'm not gonna split hairs on 2 dudes with a dad bod's going into the draft process. If you wanna say Tom Brady was in slightly better shape heading into the draft, I'll let you take that "W" lol. I feel like the cigar should give Mac Jones some bonus points though.