Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

4 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Do we know who all is hurt and how bad yet?

Add Pincock to this list as well. It was brutal. Wandale likely ACL. Adoree likely MCL 

To your point on the other thread, we can cut players, but the recovery is minimum and we would need to replace the players, unless we are running a roster under 50.

The only way I sign Odell is if it's a 2 year deal with team option for 3rd. He is not making us a contender this year so it's basically an early free agency deal. This WR room is being overhauled this offseason. With Wan'Dale going down it now looks like Collin Johnson is the only guy LOL. It hurts saying that. Maybe they bring Shep back on a vet minimum deal but that's not doing anything for us. Golladay is gone gone, we already traded away Toney and Slayton is a FA that, again, we'd now have to pay at least a decent amount to come back. So you're paying now to have a WR room of Odell and whatever rookies / FAs we're drafting and signing. 

17 hours ago, Acgott said:

Add Pincock to this list as well. It was brutal. Wandale likely ACL. Adoree likely MCL 

To your point on the other thread, we can cut players, but the recovery is minimum and we would need to replace the players, unless we are running a roster under 50.

Season is basically done.  I'm crying in my pillow this morning.

I'm not sure what the plan is for this team... they're gonna have a bad draft pick and be one and done in the playoffs if they make it. It's a very slippery slope.

My guess is you can get Jones on the cheap if you franchise him and sign him to a longer deal, instead of paying Barkley. I wouldn't pay a RB all that money. Draft another guy early.

Otherwise you blow it up and tank next year. Very tricky spot to be in when winning in the short term is counter productive. 

6 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

I'm not sure what the plan is for this team... they're gonna have a bad draft pick and be one and done in the playoffs if they make it. It's a very slippery slope.

My guess is you can get Jones on the cheap if you franchise him and sign him to a longer deal, instead of paying Barkley. I wouldn't pay a RB all that money. Draft another guy early.

Otherwise you blow it up and tank next year. Very tricky spot to be in when winning in the short term is counter productive. 

Winning is never counterproductive. Sure, they may have a first round pick in the 20s, but their overall picks is currently ranked #13. They have plenty of ammunition to make trades in the draft. It doesn’t matter if you draft at #5 or #25, you still need to hit  on the player.

I’m not sure you realize what the franchise tag is. It’s going to cost over $30M to franchise Jones. That would be used as ammo for the rest of his contract. No reason for the Giants to do that. Jones knows his best chance for success would be staying with the Giants. Assuming he finishes strong, they be able to work out a deal

Ditto for Barkley. They will give him a good deal as well, without wrecking the cap. You don’t let talent go. Even the franchise tag will be about $12M, which would be very fair.

• Like 2

In my opinion, there is only 4 positions to draft in the top 10: QB, OT, EDGE and CB. Of those, I think you really only trade up for QB and based on what they're saying I truly believe that they believe in Jones. He's not going to be paid top dollar but he is going to be re-signed. I believe their priorities going into the draft will be as follows:

Tier 1: CB, WR, ILB

Tier 2: iOL, RB, iDL, EDGE

And I don't think they'd draft ILB in the 1st round so I truly believe we're looking at CB and WR. There are plenty of good CBs and WRs in the mid and late 1st round and second round. 

Long story short, the only way their winning hurts them is if they're QB hunting. 

I don't know but it's horrible idea locking up that much money in a 10-15 range QB and a franchise RB, unless that's the final piece of the puzzle. They pretty much pulling a GB, relying on terrific QB game, defense, and a run game, which could work out until the talent starts to regress. If there are moves there to retool both back ends this off season then go for it, but this is not a case where they have top 10 picks like the Jets had last year to retool the back end.

47 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

I don't know but it's horrible idea locking up that much money in a 10-15 range QB and a franchise RB, unless that's the final piece of the puzzle. They pretty much pulling a GB, relying on terrific QB game, defense, and a run game, which could work out until the talent starts to regress. If there are moves there to retool both back ends this off season then go for it, but this is not a case where they have top 10 picks like the Jets had last year to retool the back end.

We don’t even know the contracts the contracts Jones and Saquon will sign. If it’s a max deal, than it’s definitely a horrible plan.

Again, The Giants may not have a top 10 pick, but their overall picks is currently slated at #13, and will substantially grow as injuries and losses take their toll. They have the  4th most cap space next year. It isn’t like they will have nothing else to work with. Plenty of opportunity to make the moves they want.

Yeah... Commodores one game back and Seattle/SF could be even with Giants shortly. I would tank and simply not re-sign Saquon this year, and if they want, keep Jones on the cheap. You can get away with a good RPO RB with Jones' running ability. Both guys are made of glass so it's risky keeping one let alone both. As a Cowboy fan, I'm hoping they sign both guys to long term deals as the Eagles and Boys' will continue to dominate them the next few years. If I were Giants GM, maybe franchise trade Saquon and get some corners and receivers in here along with OLB/edge. I forget if Wink runs a 4-3 or 3-4.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/25/odell-beckham-jr-to-visit-giants-first-then-bills-cowboys/

Cowboys are really pulling for Odell to join.  If it happens, it'll suck knowing that he was locked in on a long term deal with the Giants and that idiot Dave traded him away.  So I'm hoping that he either signs with us or the Bills.  We are desperate for a legit receiver so ideally it would be nice if he signed with us.  

Our opponents are scared of our current receiver core and it could be a reason why Barkley isn't doing much on the field.  Team's are teeing off on him because we don't have another legit threat.  Odell could change that.

20 hours ago, ny92mike said:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/25/odell-beckham-jr-to-visit-giants-first-then-bills-cowboys/

Cowboys are really pulling for Odell to join.  If it happens, it'll suck knowing that he was locked in on a long term deal with the Giants and that idiot Dave traded him away.  So I'm hoping that he either signs with us or the Bills.  We are desperate for a legit receiver so ideally it would be nice if he signed with us.  

Our opponents are scared of our current receiver core and it could be a reason why Barkley isn't doing much on the field.  Team's are teeing off on him because we don't have another legit threat.  Odell could change that.

Since the trade to the Browns he has played in 37 games out of a possible 59 games. That’s 63%. He’s now a 30 year old coming off another major injury. Giants fans would have hated him if he was still under contract for a big cap number. Probably for this year, he be best served as a #2/3 WR and for the future.  Don’t blow huge expectations if he does sign with us. He’s a much better fit for the Cowboys, for them and him.

Still I’ll take any receiver at all lol.

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Since the trade to the Browns he has played in 37 games out of a possible 59 games. That’s 63%. He’s now a 30 year old coming off another major injury. Giants fans would have hated him if he was still under contract for a big cap number. Probably for this year, he be best served as a #2/3 WR and for the future.  Don’t blow huge expectations if he does sign with us. He’s a much better fit for the Cowboys, for them and him.

Still I’ll take any receiver at all lol.

I wouldn't say hated him...Who's to say what he would have done if he stayed with the team.  Sometimes I wonder if you are Dave Gettleman at times...haha.  You tend to back a lot of his moves.  

He's still in my book a legit receiver and would be better than anything we've got now by a mile.  

I'd be happy to have him back.

43 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I wouldn't say hated him...Who's to say what he would have done if he stayed with the team.  Sometimes I wonder if you are Dave Gettleman at times...haha.  You tend to back a lot of his moves.  

He's still in my book a legit receiver and would be better than anything we've got now by a mile.  

I'd be happy to have him back.

I hate Gettleman, I’m just realistic about the results. Fans would have hated OBJ if he was be payed $20M/year with the current stats. Sure, he may have done better, but with those Giants and MetLife Turf, I wouldn’t bet on that. Dexter Lawrence is the best player from that deal.

Hes definitely better than our current receivers, but still it’s 9 months since his ACL tear, an injury that takes most players over a year to get back to full strength. Who knows what he has.

• Like 1