Why do the Chargers keep blowing big leads?

Slingin' Sammy

It's kinda like a snow ball effect this season like a slumping closer in baseball. What is scary is it's the whole team getting tense, undisciplined, and then poor playcalling.

They need to clean house immediately. You don't want it to become a matt stafford situation in Detroit where it seems a qb gets sucked into the complacency of not winni. They have a comparable qb in Mahomes in that division to an A Rod like crazy skill set. And Herbert is great so far but a guy and team can get complacent with a Mahomes in that division.

The NFC North hasn't seemed to be relevant outside that fluke run by Minnesota. The AFC East wasn't relevant outside of New England while Brady was there. I worry about the Whole AFC west going forward.

They didn't blow a late lead...but they sure found another way to add to the misery for the remaining fanbase.

In the end, though - anything that hastens Lynn's departure is a blessing...and better draft position, too.   Long-term, win-win.   Lose the battle, win the war.

37 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

In the end, though - anything that hastens Lynn's departure is a blessing...and better draft position, too.   Long-term, win-win.   Lose the battle, win the war.

It's disappointing too because I like Lynn and thought he could be successful. That said, the Chargers will have one of the most attractive jobs next season (and maybe, finally, Eric Bieniemy gets his due). But the issue is, between what's already there: Texans, Falcons, and what is likely coming: Jets, Lions, Chargers, Jags, there are some attractive opportunities out there. Texans have Watson. Falcons have more talent than what they show (and possibly come with good job security). Jets will get Lawrence. It's a good job, but maybe not the BEST.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

It's disappointing too because I like Lynn and thought he could be successful. That said, the Chargers will have one of the most attractive jobs next season (and maybe, finally, Eric Bieniemy gets his due). But the issue is, between what's already there: Texans, Falcons, and what is likely coming: Jets, Lions, Chargers, Jags, there are some attractive opportunities out there. Texans have Watson. Falcons have more talent than what they show (and possibly come with good job security). Jets will get Lawrence. It's a good job, but maybe not the BEST.

Chargers though have a great pass rush, and a great shut down corner - and their LB play is improving.  Then they get Derwin James back next year, along with Austin Ekeler.

I get that HOU has Watson - but they have major draft capital depletion.    Falcons are oooooold.   

The final kicker - LAC doesn't have a rabid fanbase with high expectations.   

The only disadvantage IMO is the CAL tax rate.  But from a football perspective, the best spot for HC's to land in IMO is LAC, and it's not even close.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Chargers though have a great pass rush, and a great shut down corner - and their LB play is improving.  Then they get Derwin James back next year, along with Austin Ekeler.

I get that HOU has Watson - but they have major draft capital depletion.    Falcons are oooooold.   

The final kicker - LAC doesn't have a rabid fanbase with high expectations.   

The only disadvantage IMO is the CAL tax rate.  But from a football perspective, the best spot for HC's to land in IMO is LAC, and it's not even close.

I'd buy it, like I said - a job just maybe not the best. It def could be. I was just trying to play devil's advocate on places. 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I'd buy it, like I said - a job just maybe not the best. It def could be. I was just trying to play devil's advocate on places. 

Yeah, I get it. I should also add - the Spanos family may ruin this....by being cheap.    Can't rule that out.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Falcons come with great job security. Outside of Jim Mora saying he'd rather be at University of Washington (To which, Blank fired him for), and Bobby Petrino quitting, the last 2 head coaches here were given 7 and 5-1/2 years to show what they could do. Quinn led the team to 1-4, 1-7 and 0-5 starts and wasn't fired until the third straight year of a bad start.

Edited by scar988

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The Chargers are probably the best landing spot over the others because they have all their draft picks and are in good salary position wise. Challenges of course is Bieniemy has to deal with the losing culture, playing against Reid/Mahomes twice a year, and injuries. Covid offseason has made every team know the pains of ChargIRs.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I get it. I should also add - the Spanos family may ruin this....by being cheap.    Can't rule that out.

It depends on what you mean by cheap. They always use the cap and are willing to play for the premium players ie. Bosa and KA this past offseason. I don’t know the salaries for McCoy or Lynn but they were both hot commodities at their respective times (2013 and 2017).

5 hours ago, raidersedge said:

I just want to point out Chargers OC Shane Steichen is actually pretty damn good at his job. Its a name we will here in a few years. I think Chargers play calling is bold and exciting. I personally would love USC to hire him.

I don't know what to make of Shane. It's his first full year. Missing 3 starting olinemen, missing starting rb, they move football as good as anyone and this is with playing with the lead for most of the season. So it's not garbage time yds. They middle of the pack scoring 17th and 2nd in yds.

So not sure what to make of him yet. I dont know how i pin this on Lynn. Honestly, i love Williams and will continue to rave about him.

But if he catches 2 fades past 2 weeks that he either catches and drops or lets go right through his hands... Chargers are sitting ok at 4-4, with 3 straight wins, 2-1 in the division and chance to be in the hunt. 

I know the Chargers have the talent to be 7-1 with the 1 loss being to the Panthers where they are a dropped pitch & ladder from a win. Just no bounces are going their way. This is a game of skill and luck. Chargers have skill and all bad luck. 

I refuse to give up on the season tho.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

If Chargers won atleast 5 of their 7 one score losses, Herbert as a rookie would be high in the MVP convo.. so not all is lost.

Especially because in order to have done that, they would have done it through the air. So his stats would look even better. It would be crazy good. Clear ROTY, clear top 3 MVP

• Like 1