Why do the Chargers keep blowing big leads?

Slingin' Sammy

Because taking defeat from the jaws of victory is the Chargers way. If injury doesn’t doom them, kickers may or underachieving.

I live in LA and my GF who doesn’t like football suggested she should follow a team so it’ll be more enjoyable so she should follow the Chargers. I told her if she wants to enjoy football  then being a Charger fan is the worst idea possible. She asked why and I said they always choke. That game They preceded to lose in classic Chargr fashion, leaving like 15 points on the board with missed kicks, fumbles and really just overall Chargerness

Edited by LA Niner Fan

7 hours ago, Starless said:

The new and inventive ways the Chargers keep finding to lose winnable games never ceases to amaze. 

I'll never forget that 2010 season when they had the #1 offense and defense in the league, but missed the playoffs because of a bad kick coverage unit. 

There's a great SB Nation video on that. 

https://www.sbnation.com/videos/2019/8/22/20828255/san-diego-chargers-2010-nfl-best-team-philip-rivers-antonio-gates 

It's a mix.

- Conservative playcalling in the 2nd half, trying to use the running game to close games, when we're not a good running team. 

- Defense depends exclusively on the pass rush, and when they tire, or the offense goes up tempo, quick release, our secondary shows its true value (it is awful and our depth is really bad). 

- Lynn coaches scared, and I feel that in key moments this team lacks the confidence to turn things around. They play scared. 

- the reason we're building those leads is our pass rush, and Herbert with an open playbook.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brushmyhair said:

I feel sorry for them

I wouldn't. They scored a certified baller in Herbert and are gonna have a premium pick in the next draft. They're young and will only get better.

Now, onto the losses it's not like the Falcons'. A veteran team that had much higher expectations. Charges just got way ahead in the scoring in games they shouldn't be even competing and found themselves leading against Pat's chiefs, Brady's bucs and Brees' Saints because their rookie QB is just amazing and then 'came back to earth', happens in every sport. Broncos was the first bad loss of the bunch  and now they are picking ahead of the Broncos.

6 hours ago, kramxel said:

It's a mix.

- Conservative playcalling in the 2nd half, trying to use the running game to close games, when we're not a good running team. 

- Defense depends exclusively on the pass rush, and when they tire, or the offense goes up tempo, quick release, our secondary shows its true value (it is awful and our depth is really bad). 

- Lynn coaches scared, and I feel that in key moments this team lacks the confidence to turn things around. They play scared. 

- the reason we're building those leads is our pass rush, and Herbert with an open playbook.

Honestly, it all comes down to Lynn coaching scared.

KC game - hey, it's Mahomes, but let's try to punt it to him on 4th and 1, and I'm sure he won't score.

NO game - hey, we're up 10 points with Herbert's arm - but let's run the ball 18x on 1st down, for 2 YPC, and see how it goes.

DEN game - same redux.

And the thing is - it's been that way for THREE years before.   At least 2, if not 3 games where Lynn's approach has snatched 95+ percent win probability games from the Chargers' hands.  

It's tough, because Lynn is a great leader of men, and it's clear they're ready to play....but his game management is literally bottom-3.  Worse, it's not changing.   His post-game interview was horrific.   When you lose that many games with 95+ percent win probability - guess what, it's the coaching.  

The silver lining for Chargers fans is they will get much better draft position than they deserve, they have their franchise QB, and their already-good D gets Derwin James back next year.    That's going to be the #1 spot for a hot HC candidate to go to.  I'd call Eric Bienemy to LAC as the odds-on favorite at this stage.

The crazy thing is - from Marty Schottenheimer to Norv Turner to Lynn - it's ALL about coaching game management.  Hopefully whoever they hire, they actually make game management a priority (even having a game management sideline guy, to feed him the info that somehow eludes HC's like Lynn).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2