2021 Head Coaching Prospects

Sugashane

I'd be on the lookout for collegiate coaches that may be more inclined to make the jump up to the NFL than before, given how Covid is crippling college $$ even harder than NFL $$ right now. I can't say I have any particular prospects that stand out, however.

One potential from the NFL I'm actually interested in is Rams DC (and our former position coach) Staley....   He's done a pretty great job with the Rams defense this year, and would be able to keep the defense more intact, since I'd imagine Pagano is going to be collateral damage w/ Pace and Nagy getting the boot.

OC wise, I'd honestly go right back to collegiate coaches. Their offenses get labeled as gimmicky, but they are in many ways, 5-10 years ahead of the NFL trends.  Personally, I want the TYPE of coach more like Chip Kelly or Mark Helfrich running the offense..... NOW TO BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, I'm NOT saying that either of those would be my choice, just that they are the type of "extremely aggressive" offensive minded people who had overwhelming collegiate success I'd be looking for.  They in particular failed at the NFL level for differing reasons (Kelly's offense was too simplistic, and relied too heavily on a QB being a running threat, which is ironic because he had Nick Foles under center), and Helfrich honestly had a really unfair shot being involved under Nagy with our atrocious roster last year, but also failed because his variation of Kelly's offense was too pass happy, too "on paper"/meticulous (a problem Nagy shares), and he didn't/doesn't actually call plays himself.  TL:DR Find me an OC who has a proven record of stacking 40+ points a game in college, can actually execute a hurry up offense, can actually hot read/run a play when you know you're going to catch the other team not yet lined up/ want to prevent them from challenging the previous play, and who never takes their foot off the gas.

Edited by Epyon

I'm in no way shape or form 100% sold that we let go of Nagy for a whole host of reasons...if we can't get Joe Brady who does seem to be the #1 candidate for every potential HC gig then I like the idea of Arthur Smith from Tennessee...Smith has proven he can make an offence work with less an elite talent at the QB position with Tannehill looking like a completely different player under Smith than he ever did in Miami...he has been in Tennessee since 2011 so is clearly very highly regarded surviving 4 Head Coaching changes during that time...I also like the fact he is working with Vrabel which opens him up to a whole heap of coaches from the NE pipeline which especially on the defensive side of the ball would come in very handy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm in no way shape or form 100% sold that we let go of Nagy for a whole host of reasons...if we can't get Joe Brady who does seem to be the #1 candidate for every potential HC gig then I like the idea of Arthur Smith from Tennessee...Smith has proven he can make an offence work with less an elite talent at the QB position with Tannehill looking like a completely different player under Smith than he ever did in Miami...he has been in Tennessee since 2011 so is clearly very highly regarded surviving 4 Head Coaching changes during that time...I also like the fact he is working with Vrabel which opens him up to a whole heap of coaches from the NE pipeline which especially on the defensive side of the ball would come in very handy.

For something around 16 games (going back to last season) Tannehill was statistically matching up with Mahomes. That is absolutely insane.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Arthur Smith is interesting. I wonder what the GM pairing would be for him, he has been in Tennessee so long.

I love the creativity and hard play action passing game. Makes a QB look better than he is.

I would like to see Nick Caserio finally get his shot...he has been in NE for years so understands how to build a winner...there are clear links between the Pats & the Titans so we could hopefully pick up more talent around that pipeline...

If we are going to go back to the defensive side of the ball I would love to get Ed Dodds out of Indy along with Matt Eberflus...find a way of getting Kellen Moore out of Dallas and we are in good shape.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I would like to see Nick Caserio finally get his shot...he has been in NE for years so understands how to build a winner...there are clear links between the Pats & the Titans so we could hopefully pick up more talent around that pipeline...

If we are going to go back to the defensive side of the ball I would love to get Ed Dodds out of Indy along with Matt Eberflus...find a way of getting Kellen Moore out of Dallas and we are in good shape.

Caserio and Arthur Smith would work for me.

I do not think we need to go back to the defensive side of the ball. I think we need to pick an offensive coach with more than a 6 game play calling record and someone who has run the show before. Guys like Daboll, Smith, Roman run their offense, they do not work under offensive head coaches. They built, designed, and called "Their Offense" not a knock of version of Andy Reid's.

• Like 1

Is Pep Hamilton a candidate as HC?  He's currently doing wonders with Justin Herbert this year as his QB coach and knows a thing or two about what good QB play looks like as he coached Andrew Luck for years.  Also has head coaching experience from his XFL stint and was  an assistant HC with the Browns back in 2016.  Knows this Bears organization well and they also know him well.  Also worked with Pagano in Indy so if Bears wanted to keep continuity with the defense that could be an option.

Pair him with a young and bright guy like Riddick as GM and see what happens?

I don't know ...I'm just spit balling here but I think he will be a candidate for some teams in the near future.

Edited by topwop1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Caserio and Arthur Smith would work for me.

I do not think we need to go back to the defensive side of the ball. I think we need to pick an offensive coach with more than a 6 game play calling record and someone who has run the show before. Guys like Daboll, Smith, Roman run their offense, they do not work under offensive head coaches. They built, designed, and called "Their Offense" not a knock of version of Andy Reid's.

This is one of the things I feel we need to get away from...sure if you can get a great offensive mind who has the tools to be a great HC then fantastic...but if you have a great offensive mind who doesn't have all the HC tools like a Pete Carmichael then I would be all for going with a defensive minded guy who has HC tools.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This is one of the things I feel we need to get away from...sure if you can get a great offensive mind who has the tools to be a great HC then fantastic...but if you have a great offensive mind who doesn't have all the HC tools like a Pete Carmichael then I would be all for going with a defensive minded guy who has HC tools.

Or stick with Nagy and tell him his offense is fired...

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Or stick with Nagy and tell him his offense is fired...

I'm not sure that is an option but if it wasn't I wouldn't be totally against in...Nagy is an alpha who can hold a room...you get him maybe a Joe Brady type from the college ranks and let them imprint there identity on the offence and you might have a chance.

57 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not sure that is an option but if it wasn't I wouldn't be totally against in...Nagy is an alpha who can hold a room...you get him maybe a Joe Brady type from the college ranks and let them imprint there identity on the offence and you might have a chance.

Wait till Joe Brady one and dones in Carolina before you get too excited about that path.

I agree that getting a good HC is priority, offensive play caller is secondary, but I think we can get both.

Then we guarantee ourselves a stable system for the new QB.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Or maybe hire a guy that works with both offensive and defensive guys like a Dave Toub ;)

• Like 1