2021 Head Coaching Prospects

Sugashane

On 11/22/2020 at 1:51 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm not very impressed with the potential GMs/HCs this year but if I had my choice of staff for the Bears next year it would look something like this;

GM: Scott Fitterer
HC: Randy Fichtner
OC: Matt Campbell/Joe Brady
DC: Matt Eberflus/Robert Saleh

Prefer Cambell/Eberflus but would be fine Brady/Saleh.

Jeff Ireland would be a good choice as well. Incredible eye for talent. 

6 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Disagree. I think he's good, and I think ST coach is just one of them where unless you've got Toub or Fassel, every fan in the league just hates their ST coach. Who have we had since Toub? DeCamillis and Rodgers? Tabor is definitely better than both.

I don't know that he is better than them because he's been given actual talent and has just now started utilizing it. They had old Hester and Robbie Gould and got fired after a year or two. He's had plenty of chances to right the ST ship and just can't.

Patterson is great no matter who's coaching, but Parkey was a good kicker before coming here (which can happen with kickers, they're volatile), O'Donnell has been below average at his absolute best his time entire time here with no competition of any kind, he had a kicking camp full of bums that he still couldn't figure out, so they brought in extra consultants and it took them a year to re-try Cairo (who should have been in the competition)... I just don't see anything good about the guy. He's probably gotten us more losses than he has wins. I'm unsure of starting field position rankings, but I'm sure we're relatively low in those and that's his most important job is setting the offense up for shorter fields.

I'd love Toub to come back, but I'm not asking for HOF special teams every week. I just want to know that if Johnny Hekker is continuously pinning us in the 5, that we'll rush him instead of being afraid of him throwing once. That if Cordarelle is constantly taking balls out from 9 yards deep in the end zone, that something will be done to prevent that so we can start at the 25 instead of the 15. If Ginn isn't fielding a punt, get his punk *** outta there. He just doesn't take control like he needs to.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Ireland has connections to Bears.  I believe it was his uncle who was a scout for the team back in the glory days when they won the SB.

I think he might be difficult to work for and has failed as a GM in the past ( I can't remember the team) but I would take a shot. He's proven as a talent evaluator. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Ireland has connections to Bears.  I believe it was his uncle who was a scout for the team back in the glory days when they won the SB.

Starting to scrape to bottom of the barrel here...Ireland went 46-50 in Miami as a GM...would far rather take a shot on someone from a winner.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Starting to scrape to bottom of the barrel here...Ireland went 46-50 in Miami as a GM...would far rather take a shot on someone from a winner.

I don't disagree with you ...wouldn't be my first choice or even in my top-5.

I was doing some research online and someone brought up an interesting candidate... the assistant GM from the Dolphins.. Marvin Allen. 

After retiring from playing, Allen worked in the New England Patriots' personnel department from 1993 through 2008. In 2009, he left New England for the Atlanta Falcons, working there through the 2013 NFL season. From 2014 through 2017, he was the Kansas City Chief's Director of College Scouting. In 2018, he was a National Scout for the Buffalo Bills

So basically he's been part of the draft processes for QBs like Brady, Mahomes, Allen and now Tua.

10 hours ago, The_Romen said:

I'm unsure of starting field position rankings, but I'm sure we're relatively low in those and that's his most important job is setting the offense up for shorter fields.

12th in the league.

10 hours ago, The_Romen said:

I'd love Toub to come back, but I'm not asking for HOF special teams every week.

What if I told you that Tabor's ST are 12th in the league overall while Toub's is 22nd?  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

It changes my mind zero percent. Cordarelle is the only reason Tabor is ranked that high.

Kick returns are not solely on the returner. Look at Cordarrelle's last week, that was blocked beautifully, he was untouched.

With the kickers too, I'm not convinced how much an ST coach can really help them anyway, but what can Tabor do when he's given a pile of trash like the group we had in last year. It's not like ANY of them have gone on to be successful somewhere else. And FWIW about Parkey being better before he came to Chicago - his ST Coach in Cleveland in 2016? Tabor. Plus look at how much Santos has improved under him, he's damn near our offensive MVP.

We're 12th in Special Teams DVOA, which is nowhere near the hot garbage that you say he is. It's always a case of fans just hate their ST coach, even when the team is ranked as an above average unit like the Bears are. I'm not saying he's Coach of the Year, but he's a good, solid coach, and if he was to stay on with a new regime I'd be totally ok with it.

13 hours ago, The_Romen said:

It changes my mind zero percent. Cordarelle is the only reason Tabor is ranked that high.

I mean, Hester and Knox were a massive reason for Toub's success. It's hard to use that against him.

Honestly I'm indifferent as I'm not overly educated on ST coaches. Coverage seems pretty good from the eyeball test since we're going to have breakdowns as every team occasionally, Santos needs locked down with an extension, Patty is a crap punter regardless of who coaches him, Scales has been fantastic as a snapper, and Patterson is an All Pro returner. Maybe the stretch of incompetent play from Ginn could be an indictment against him but overall I dont see a lot of issues that can be traced to him. 

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It doesn't really matter. If Nagy is gone it is likely Tabor is gone.

Tabor is fine. Special teams always has more busts and screw ups because they deal with the bottom of the roster guys and they aren't as good as the top guys.

I mean it all depends on what the new coach wants and also the remaining term on these coaches' contracts.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense to completely gut the coaching staff and start over at every position.

For instance both Fangio and curent DL coach Jay Rodgers survived from Fox's staff onto Nagy's staff after he was hired. 

I'm not saying Tabor is great but they could do worse than him.  

What if Nagy is fired and they replace him with Chuck and they just hire new offensive coaches?

On 11/24/2020 at 7:07 PM, topwop1 said:

What if Nagy is fired and they replace him with Chuck and they just hire new offensive coaches?

Not sure what you're getting at. But...Pagano was a stellar head coach, and Nagy is turning out to be a clown. We could do a lot worse than that scenario. Except, we really need to get away from the 3-4. It's death. 

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Not sure what you're getting at. But...Pagano was a stellar head coach, and Nagy is turning out to be a clown. We could do a lot worse than that scenario. Except, we really need to get away from the 3-4. It's death. 

Does the base scheme defensively matter? So many teams play so many variations of D now that I'm not sure it matters a ton. How many plays are the Bears running defensively in a basic, 3-4 set? No one minded when the Bears were unreal defensively in 2018. Hell, we really shouldn't be complaining now in 2020. I don't care if they play a 1-6; as long as they keep messing up the QB spot, it doesn't make a difference.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1