Chase Young

RSkinGM

Just now, lavar703 said:

What move? You keep making this move up that never existed and that’s the problem. You don’t just give the pick up to give it up. You still can’t come up with evidence of multiple first round pick offers. And why couldn’t that move be done this year? Why did we have to pass on Chase Young? 

There is no way to make a trade offer for the 2 pick without this years 1st being tossed in. You want a pass rusher so badly. Wed have all the ammo in the world to get you an even better one than Chase in Rousseau. All while having another 1st rounder to nab a qb. That on top of other picks.

But all that was thrown away. And we got yet another year of people begging to lose games. And it will be the same next year. Cause this route of building doesnt work the way some think.  Id even bet that tankathon talk starts up before week 4 of next season. Same as its been near every other year around here.

35 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

There is no way to make a trade offer for the 2 pick without this years 1st being tossed in. You want a pass rusher so badly. Wed have all the ammo in the world to get you an even better one than Chase in Rousseau. All while having another 1st rounder to nab a qb. That on top of other picks.

But all that was thrown away. And we got yet another year of people begging to lose games. And it will be the same next year. Cause this route of building doesnt work the way some think.  Id even bet that tankathon talk starts up before week 4 of next season. Same as its been near every other year around here.

How is Rousseau better than Chase? Where do you come up with this stuff? And again, show me the offer that was made. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Wed have all the ammo in the world to get you an even better one than Chase in Rousseau.

I have to ask, did you watch Rousseau and conclude he’s better than Chase, or are you just basing it on the 15 sack number?

When I watch Rousseau, I see a Sweat comp. Probably a little less speed and burst, probably a little stronger. He’s not close to Young as a pass-rusher, in my eyes at least. A number of his best pass-rushing plays actually came when they lined him up at 3-tech or even 0-tech and had him rush against guards or centers. 

I think he’s a good talent, but to me he’s not an elite prospect. I see him ending up in that same territory as Sweat, the 15-25 range. A guy you end up picking with thoughts that he might be a a LE that will be a presence against the run and perhaps benefit from not getting stuck matching up much against the LTs. There’s not a lot of great edge talent in this draft pool that I’m seeing at the moment, though, so I could see where he might sneak up the board a bit from there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I have to ask, did you watch Rousseau and conclude he’s better than Chase, or are you just basing it on the 15 sack number?

When I watch Rousseau, I see a Sweat comp. Probably a little less speed and burst, probably a little stronger. He’s not close to Young as a pass-rusher, in my eyes at least. A number of his best pass-rushing plays actually came when they lined him up at 3-tech or even 0-tech and had him rush against guards or centers. 

I think he’s a good talent, but to me he’s not an elite prospect. I see him ending up in that same territory as Sweat, the 15-25 range. A guy you end up picking with thoughts that he might be a a LE that will be a presence against the run and perhaps benefit from not getting stuck matching up much against the LTs. There’s not a lot of great edge talent in this draft pool that I’m seeing at the moment, though, so I could see where he might sneak up the board a bit from there.

You could be right. But he was just a Freshman. He hasnt had the coaching or development of others and still performed as good as any Junior/Senior out there. You can tell hes raw in some areas like technique. But for a freshman, he stockpiled the sacks and TFL. Wasnt missing tackles. Stood well against the run. I really dont see how you could ask for much better out of an undeveloped freshman talent.

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

You could be right. But he was just a Freshman. He hasnt had the coaching or development of others and still performed as good as any Junior/Senior out there. You can tell hes raw in some areas like technique. But for a freshman, he stockpiled the sacks and TFL. Wasnt missing tackles. Stood well against the run. I really dont see how you could ask for much better out of an undeveloped freshman talent.

I mean, I’m saying I see him as a mid-1st rounder as a guy with 14 career games, I don’t think I’m bagging on the kid or anything. I see a lot of what you’re seeing — and I was really high on Sweat, so that’s a good comp from me. 

I just don’t think he’s Aldon Smith or something like that. To me, that stat number was a little flukish based on what I’ve seen in terms of his ability to beat ACC OTs — and I think that’s probably at least part of why he decided to opt out this year, so he could stand pat on that number and not have to try to back it up. Still a very good talent. I can see him ending up with someone like Minnesota or the Colts or the Rams and making the same sort of impact Sweat has made for us from a LE spot. 

• Like 1

@e16bball yes E, as you pointed out competition matters and the OL’s in the ACC have mostly sucked all decade. Even Clemson’s OL’s haven’t been that great. Now their DL’s have been awesome w/ their QBs, RBs, WRs & DBs but their OL & LBs have been meh.

Chase dominating guys who are or will be playing in the NFL from big 10’s OL’s last year (Iowa, Michigan & Wisconsin), is more impressive than putting up those stats in the ACC against avg OL at best.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I mean, I’m saying I see him as a mid-1st rounder as a guy with 14 career games, I don’t think I’m bagging on the kid or anything. I see a lot of what you’re seeing — and I was really high on Sweat, so that’s a good comp from me. 

I just don’t think he’s Aldon Smith or something like that. To me, that stat number was a little flukish based on what I’ve seen in terms of his ability to beat ACC OTs — and I think that’s probably at least part of why he decided to opt out this year, so he could stand pat on that number and not have to try to back it up. Still a very good talent. I can see him ending up with someone like Minnesota or the Colts or the Rams and making the same sort of impact Sweat has made for us from a LE spot. 

Thats where we might differ. I see much of Chase in that same regard. Weak B1G lines propping up the hype more than it should. Myles didnt have the biggest production numbers coming out the SEC. But day 1 he rolled into Cleveland hes been a top disruptive force. And I put up the stats before the draft. Recruit star power of what he faced was 2.4-2.8 range. 3 backups. Northwestern used a backup guard at tackle due to injuries. Wisconsin he got 3 sacks against a beat up line. Then 0 when they were healthy in the champ game.

And I said then. Im not sold on him being all that above Sweat. Cause what would Sweat and his speed do against 2+* recruited lines of the ACC/B1G over the 4* avg lines he faced in the SEC. Play by play, see both on the field. Im not seeing any real amount of separation. So Im not seeing your Rousseau-Sweat remark as a knock. Im seeing it more a a standard between the 3.

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am more interested why he can't seem to get to the qb all game.

OH, You don't know !!?? You must be dumb as me !! I'm told he's double and triple teamed all day ! The others must really stink being left unblocked and can't get there either !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Oh come on Turtle-- at least we hit on one of 3 OSU players . McLaurin is a gem !

We hit on Chase. He’s only 21 and is only 7 games into his NFL career. If he was a QB would you be calling him a bust if he had started every game and was 60%, near 1500 yds & 10 TDs through those 7 games started?

That’s essentially what Chase has done. He’s been very good - the tape shows that - but he’s not shown to be elite yet but again, he’s only 21. He has a lot of room for growth and that should scare the league and it obviously does bc he’s often doubled and sometimes triple teamed.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am more interested why he can't seem to get to the qb all game.

He gets pressures, no DL gets to the QB “all game.” DL are not going to win every snap, sometimes the OL block them and sometimes they get doubled. 

This remind me of the Orakpo discussions - the guy would get near or over 10 sacks every year when he was healthy - and people always expected him to do more. And Young is a better run Defender then Rak w/ more pass rush moves, better fluidity in his hips and movements when he rushes, he’s stronger and has way more upside but haters gonna hate. Haha 😂 

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

OH, You don't know !!?? You must be dumb as me !! I'm told he's double and triple teamed all day ! The others must really stink being left unblocked and can't get there either !

That's correct. They can't get there.

We posted links of the double and triple teams and the other guys not winning their one on one matchups. 

Can we trade Chase Young to the Jets for their 2021 1st round pick, 2021 2nd round pick, their 2022 1st round pick and 2023 1st round pick?

I’m sure that was offered in draft day but we turned it down. Where the proof? I don’t know, doesn’t matter, it just makes sense to me...

leonardo dicaprio laughing GIF