Worst Franchise of All Time?

SpanosPayYourRent

The worst franchise of all time is a no contest. As long as William Ford owned the Lions, they were the clear winners. It only took them 50 years to replace Bobby Lane as their franchise QB with Stafford and Ford finished his tenure with the hire of GM Matt Millen, who led the Lions to an 0-16 record.

Cleveland is currently following in his footsteps at 20+ and still counting, but I would also point out that ever since Jerry Jones appointed himself as GM of the Cowboys and fired Jimmy Johnson out of jealousy, the Cowboys have been pretty rotten at making the playoffs under his control. 

Buffalo's old owner could not compete in the FA era, just wasn't rich enough. The Chargers deserve some mention as do the Jets.

I am not including newly created franchises who took their time learning how to compete, they started with nothing, so they cannot be really mentioned here.

37 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Got to be Cleveland Browns, for me. Just unrelenting misery for well over 10 years now. Season after season, plays and draft strategy so bad that it makes you question whether or not it's scripted. 

Depends if you consider the old Browns as the Browns or the Ravens or not, tbh.

Cause the Browns were actually really good in the 50s 60s, and 80s.

7 minutes ago, tom cody said:

The Detroit Lions. They've had some success since Stafford joined the team but overall the team's been a mess.

I don't see any argument that the Lions were worse historically than the Cardinals.

The Cardinals are the oldest team in the NFL and has only two NFL championships, in 1925 and 1947. Since the playoffs became a thing in the 1940s, the Cardinals have made the post-season a mere ten times, winning only seven games. The Lions meanwhile have had four total championships, three of which coming in the 1950s and made the postseason seventeen times. Furthermore, the Lions beat the Cardinals' overall win percentage by .460 (24th)  to .428 (31st). The only team that has a worse overall win percentage is Tampa Bay, who were awful in their first few seasons and most of their history but have won a Super Bowl since and seem to be on an upswing.

I think it might be the Cardinals. They've won nothing since 1947 when they were in Chicago. The years in between have largely been a laugh. They've gotten to ONE championship game since 1947 with only 10 playoff appearances in the NFL, which is almost 100 years old. The team is the oldest in NFL history too. That's awful. Maybe Detroit is second for me. I consider the current Cleveland Browns different than the team that originally left for Baltimore by this measuring stick. But this iteration has only been around since 1999. Maybe Buffalo after that. 

Packers - Name doesn't make any real sense

Fans are very large

Smallest "City" in the NFL

Rodgers is very unlikeable to opposing fans

Head Coach is completely unapproachable. Way worse that Bill Belichick

ESPN and Joe Buck have an unhealthy obsession with them

Definitely the worst of all franchises imo

7 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The Cardinals, honestly.

Agreed.  It has to be the Cardinals...they have been around the longest with the least to show for it.  They've been around for the entire existence of the NFL and have only 10 playoff appearances.  That's 10% of the time.  Hell, the Saints didn't make any playoffs for the first 20 years of their existence, and have now have 10 appearances.  Even the Bucs and Ravens have 10 appearances and started 56 and 76 years later than the Cardinals.  

Honestly, it shouldn't even be a contest as to what is the worst NFL franchise of all-time.

8 minutes ago, August4th said:

toss up between cards and lions

At least under the same owner, the Cards have become a solid franchise once he got himself a new stadium in Arizona and suddenly had the revenue to put a competitive team on the field.

Yes, prior to that new stadium in Arizona, their owner really lacked the money to field a competitive team, but those days have changed for the better. The Lions never had that excuse, Ford was one of the richest owners, just totally incompetent. He hated firing people and instead kept them around in his scouting department which became a walking disaster for the team. He hired some of the worst GM's in the history of the game and worse yet, kept most of them running the ship for at least 5 years.

Here's what happens to a team with a weak owner!!!!!

Owner is an indecisive person, unable to make decisions.

Owner's indecisiveness rubs off on his FO who become an extension of their owner

Owner bases whether to fire an incompetent on how well he personally likes the guy no matter how bad he is at rebuilding a franchise and if forced to do so, puts him in his scouting department as a last resort.

Incompetent FO, hires incompetent HC's who in turn, hire incompetent assistent coaches and between them all, they draft incompetent prospects, because they stink at their jobs..

This was the Lions for 50 years, hard to beat that, but Cleveland is well on its way.

Ford is/was a better owner than the Bidwills.  William Clay Ford, while not always the sharpest owner, at least he invested in the Lions...Bill Bidwill sabotaged his franchise on purpose, running it like a cheapskate for years upon years, which essentially forced St. Louis' hand and allowing them to leave. 

Let's stop the revisionist history of acting like it was St. Louis' fault that he moved the franchise to Phoenix.  They were well-supported by the fans there, despite their lack of success and it took a long time even in Phoenix to match the support that they had in St. Louis.  Bill Bidwell is and was one of the worst owners in the history of the NFL...I almost consider him the NFL version of Donald Sterling.        

Archived