ESPN another bad move, Wingo

m haynes

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Lol it definitely has to do with politics. The NBA lost half their viewers this season and record-low ratings compared to the other sports. I believe the NBA Finals Ratings were down 70%. And the NBA is going to struggle to get those viewers back. ESPN ratings have been sinking for a while, but this year they basically crashed, and that's because they went full Political/Social Justice. They knew the gamble they were taking and did it anyways. When you go political, you will lose half your viewers, this is common sense. This is why most companies stay completely clear of politics, and anything that has anything remotely to do with politics. It's a horrible business move. Why do you think Webby doesn't allow political discussion? Because it'd be a completely chaotic warzone, and one side would eventually leave completely. It's the super smart business move to not allow any discussion on it what so ever.

You go political, you lose half your base, end of story. We can agree to disagree.

We will strongly agree to disagree...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That’s a crock.

You're watching too much Mark Cuban, who is super political and will never blame the NBA's failure this year on politics and blames it on COVID and everything else (this is called gaslighting). Like ratings are going to go down when people are locked at home.... simply no. UFC was smashing all their previous years ratings this year, because they stayed clear of politics, and everyone was at home. NFL has stayed steady, and pretty solid ratings overall, as they haven't really dipped too much into politics.

NBA's failure was political. Not COVID. But once again, you can have blinders on all you want. A national company that goes political will lose half it's viewers, just the most common sense thing in the world.

Gonna agree to disagree though and back off this conversation.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You're watching too much Mark Cuban, who is super political and will never blame the NBA's failure this year on politics and blames it on COVID and everything else (this is called gaslighting). Like ratings are going to go down when people are locked at home.... simply no. UFC was smashing all their previous years ratings this year, because they stayed clear of politics, and everyone was at home. NFL has stayed steady, and pretty solid ratings overall, as they haven't really dipped too much into politics.

NBA's failure was political. Not COVID. But once again, you can have blinders on all you want. A national company that goes political will lose half it's viewers, just the most common sense thing in the world.

Tbf the NBA was the most effected sports league. They missed like 4 months in the middle of the season and did a bubble season where half the teams had no chance and then they had a playoffs which were basically LA teams and everyone else. 

Moving Wingo to radio with Golic, taking him off NFL live, not doing any type of golf with Wingo/SVP/Michael Collins is a freaking mistake. 

Wingo says he has his own podcast coming out 12/2. I can see him going the DO/Eisen way and basically forging his own path rather than sliding over to FS1 because he isn’t a big “debate culture” guy. Maybe he could go to CBSSports and solo anchor a show a la SVP. 

Just now, lancerman said:

Tbf the NBA was the most effected sports league. They missed like 4 months in the middle of the season and did a bubble season where half the teams had no chance and then they had a playoffs which were basically LA teams and everyone else. 

Yes, and it's to be expected their ratings would dip, but they dipped 50-55% when they returned after the first few days, and dipped 60% in the playoffs, and 70% for the Finals. While I'm not saying COVID has NO effect, it was minimal compared to politics. Politics/SJ was the main reason for NBA's ratings collapse, and I think you'll see it carry over to next season to prove my point.

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Yes, and it's to be expected their ratings would dip, but they dipped 50-55% when they returned after the first few days, and dipped 60% in the playoffs, and 70% for the Finals. While I'm not saying COVID has NO effect, it was minimal compared to politics. Politics/SJ was the main reason for NBA's ratings collapse, and I think you'll see it carry over to next season to prove my point.

Possible. But it's kinda impossible to avoid that stuff when Lebron and the players have that much power

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Possible. But it's kinda impossible to avoid that stuff when Lebron and the players have that much power

Yeah I feel like LeBron has a huge hand in the NBA now, and he clearly doesn't realize that politics always plays a huge downfall in any National Business. Maybe he'll learn, maybe he won't.

34 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m not even disagreeing about the political angle. You just have your own blinders on. Ratings always tank during an election year.

Also, maybe the UFC had a fantastic year because they had actual fights worth watching...? Khabib is going to get ratings. Tony is going to get ratings. Stipe vs Cormier is going to get ratings.

You brought politics into this discussion, don’t weasel out now.

Edited by candyman93

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Out of all the generic ESPN heads Wingo is pretty good.  He used to be more edgy and witty but the current “times” call for more sensitivity.  He’d be better with a non-flagship gig.

You know FSN is going to pay him VERY well. 

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

ESPN needs to own the rights to broadcast more NFL games. Pay whatever it takes.

There’s no excuse for a channel that’s entire purpose is to cover sports, but doesn’t have much nfl broadcasting capabilities.

They’ve gambled and prayed that the NBA would be a competitor and it hasn’t worked. Just a terrible business decision. The NFL has proven it can survive anything thrown at it.

No one really cares about ESPN, hasnt it been they way for a decade plus? They’ve become so obsessed with social justice, that’s the real gamble, and sports fans didn’t follow. their decisions have cost them significantly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ripline said:

Demise of ESPN was the marriage to nba and associate crap and sec which turned off about 50% of the country. .02

This is how I feel as well.

They went WAY too hard after the NBA audience which is usually younger people and kids. Obviously the SEC only appeals to one very specific region of the country.

I like playing and watching basketball, but the NBA is so boring to watch when you know who's going to make it. Its almost always Lebron or the Warriors or whoever. They really need more competitive teams. I also think fantasy sports helps make the NFL more popular, but its hard to translate to other sports, especially with "load management".

Having the Raptors win was such a pleasant surprise, both to have a fresh team there, and the fact that I'm Canadian lol. But it would also contribute to american ratings going down as well, that takes away an american market that would be more interested in the game (I'm guessing Toronto/Canada aren't factored into Nielson ratings). 

As for ESPN/FS1/NFLN etc, i haven't watched them in years. Its just lazy, superficial, hot-take analysis. I enjoy reading PFF (take it with a grain of salt though), Youtube breakdowns on players/schemes/etc (Brian Baldinger is pretty solid). Thats about it though.  

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

Just now, 49ersfan said:

As for ESPN/FS1/NFLN etc, i haven't watched them in years. Its just lazy, superficial, hot-take analysis. I enjoy reading PFF (take it with a grain of salt though), Youtube breakdowns on players/schemes/etc (Brian Baldinger is pretty solid). Thats about it though.  

I agree with this.

I'd suggest The Athletic - I got a free subscription through T-Mobile, and I'm going to keep it beyond the free period. Great, in depth reading.

• Like 1