ESPN another bad move, Wingo

m haynes

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this.

I'd suggest The Athletic - I got a free subscription through T-Mobile, and I'm going to keep it beyond the free period. Great, in depth reading.

I just might...one of my favourite Niners writers (Matt Barrows) is on there, and the site as a whole always seem to have quality content...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I like playing and watching basketball, but the NBA is so boring to watch when you know who's going to make it. Its almost always Lebron or the Warriors or whoever. They really need more competitive teams. I also think fantasy sports helps make the NFL more popular, but its hard to translate to other sports, especially with "load management".

Having the Raptors win was such a pleasant surprise, both to have a fresh team there, and the fact that I'm Canadian lol. But it would also contribute to american ratings going down as well, that takes away an american market that would be more interested in the game (I'm guessing Toronto/Canada aren't factored into Nielson ratings). 

As for ESPN/FS1/NFLN etc, i haven't watched them in years. Its just lazy, superficial, hot-take analysis. I enjoy reading PFF (take it with a grain of salt though), Youtube breakdowns on players/schemes/etc (Brian Baldinger is pretty solid). Thats about it though.  

I've probably predicted the winner of the NBA finals correctly 11/15 times the last 15  years before the season started.  The game has become a joke, nobody plays hard, more than half the teams make the playoffs (rewarded for being below average), there is more flopping in NBA games than in soccer(not a joke if you don't watch both), and defense is basically illegal during the regular season. 

WoW another 150-155 game, oh wait nobody was allowed to play defense and nobody did, what does it really matter.  I scored 50 points once in a pickup game at the YMCA, guess what nobody in the ******* world cares, just like NBA games now, pickup games with no defense.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I just might...one of my favourite Niners writers (Matt Barrows) is on there, and the site as a whole always seem to have quality content...

I didn't think much of it, but it's clear that don't just box score scout or parrot whatever Schefter/Woj say...

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You strongly disagree that politics are divisive? Thats the hill you want to die on?

I strongly disagree that 50% of the country boycotted, which i know is nowhere close to true. I strongly disagree that Nielsen ratings in 2O20 is indicative of true viewership in tv broadcasting. That's the hill i will 100% die on. The idea that ten's of millions or even millions turned away from sports because of wearing shirts with social justice movements is a joke.  I really can't dive into this more than that without crossing the line of political restrictions on this site. But stop believing what youtubers and political bloggers tell you, to push their failed narrative. The data is out there. Unbiased and with no political affiliation behind it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You strongly disagree that politics are divisive? Thats the hill you want to die on?

I think people really want to believe that people are turned off by the NBA because of their vocal support of racial justice (which is what I assume everyone here means when they say "politics"). 

The idea that die-hard NBA fans are turning away from the game because they are angry at players for advocating for that cause is about as real as the people who boycotted the NFL because of Kaepernick kneeling, which is to say that they are a very loud but utterly insignificant minority that doesn't represent any actual trends.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I strongly disagree that 50% of the country boycotted, which i know is nowhere close to true. I strongly disagree that Nielsen ratings in 2O20 is indicative of true viewership in tv broadcasting. That's the hill i will 100% die on. The idea that ten's of millions or even millions turned away from sports because of wearing shirts with social justice movements is a joke.  I really can't dive into this more than that without crossing the line of political restrictions on this site. But stop believing what youtubers and political bloggers tell you, to push their failed narrative. The data is out there. Unbiased and with no political affiliation behind it.

Fair enough. I just assumed you were referring to the last ~3 sentences of his statement. 

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

ESPN needs to own the rights to broadcast more NFL games. Pay whatever it takes.

There’s no excuse for a channel that’s entire purpose is to cover sports, but doesn’t have much nfl broadcasting capabilities.

They’ve gambled and prayed that the NBA would be a competitor and it hasn’t worked. Just a terrible business decision. The NFL has proven it can survive anything thrown at it.

I see ABC splitting all 18 games of the TNF package with Fox, if the NFL Network can make new carriage agreements that permit this (there would be some concessions to the pay-TV providers, namely using different announcers on the NFLN broadcast and different halftime show).

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

People still watch ESPN? 

I only watch MNF when my Packers are playing.  Could be the game of the century, but it is on cable? Nah, I will save my 50 dollars a month, or whatever it costs.

Other than that, I might catch a couple of baseball games or college basketball games.  But I don't really seek out any ESPN programming.  

Edited by ThatJerkDave

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

Can you post some of this info for me, I'm too lazy to look and actually kind of want to know.  I personally stopped watching ESPN because it aims at younger people / people who don't know much about sports.  I also stopped watching NBA because its a trash game now.  I would assume that not playing for 4 months really hurt their revenue...

4 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Well then you'd be sorely mistaken. You should probably incorporate some Republicans (half the country) in your life and not live in a bubble. They easily 85-90% boycotted. This is why business's stay farrr away from any kind of political opinion, you'll lose half your revenue over night.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1