2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

I’d probably break my tv.  There’s a large drop off between Cunningham and everyone else in this draft.  Not a knock on anyone else he’s just that much better.  This is all just pre draft hyperbole.  Cade’s been the unquestioned top player in this class for several years now and everyone just doing the usual make an argument against/ pick another guy to try to sound deep.  No one’s arguing the Rockets shouldn’t be trying to trade up, they just don’t want the next superstar playing in Detroit.  

Jalen Green was a higher rated recruit last year on half of the sites coming out of highschool.  Even in here last year, someone asked if Jalen Green was in last years draft if he would go #1, and most agreed, and said Kuminga and Cade would also.  Cade has been the top pick since he was in the public eye, and Jalen Green got very little exposure, especially from ESP pundits because they make money off March Madness and not the G League.  They have been closer than most people think IMO for a while.  Cade ha smore playmaking ability if thats what you need.  Green has more scoring ability.  Green would be one of the most athletic people in the league day one, Cade would be middle of the pack.  I think Cade is the best all around player right now but I think Green has a higher ceiling and not much lower of a floor.  He proved he can play against NBA talent in the G League and was the best player there.  

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Cade Cunningham averaged more turnovers than assists and he's Luka Doncic... Yeah... 

This is one of my bigger knocks on him.  He did have a trash team around him last year but he did make some pretty poor decisions and was pretty awful in the tournament.  But he did play well in the B12 tournament.  If he is the pick, I am hoping thats just growing pains and that enough of our youth develops so he doesnt have the same "lack of talent" excuse here. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

This is one of my bigger knocks on him.  He did have a trash team around him last year but he did make some pretty poor decisions and was pretty awful in the tournament.  But he did play well in the B12 tournament.  If he is the pick, I am hoping thats just growing pains and that enough of our youth develops so he doesnt have the same "lack of talent" excuse here. 

The biggest issue with Cade is that he's just an average athlete. His shooting numbers were good last year but it's a small sample size and he struggled as a shooter in HS, AAU, and in USA basketball. 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cade couldn't hold Luka's gym bag as a prospect. Luka was the MVP in the second best league in the world at 18 years old. Cade Cunningham wasn't even the best player in the Big 12 last year, lol. 

The king of hyperbole is back at it lmao

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The biggest issue with Cade is that he's just an average athlete. His shooting numbers were good last year but it's a small sample size and he struggled as a shooter in HS, AAU, and in USA basketball. 

Which will show up more in the NBA than in college where all of the athletes are better.  I know he is a stud, and if we stay at 1 I am all for taking him.  But I really like Greens upside more.  I think Green can be a Lavine with plus defense, which puts him in the top 15/20 players in the league too. I also just think Green fits with our team better if you have any faith in Killian Hayes (which I understand is tough given his limited showings last year).    Hayes isn't enough to not pick Cade, but when there is an option like Green, its worth exploring.  

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cade Cunningham averaged more turnovers than assists and he's Luka Doncic... Yeah... 

There is a pretty significant grey area between Kyle Anderson and Luka Doncic lol.  The grey area in which Cade Cunningham exists.  He isn't just one or the other. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cade Cunningham wasn't even the best player in the Big 12 last year, lol. 

You must have missed the game he single handedly beat Baylor, you know the dominant Baylor team that steam rolled to a national title.  At this point your making a better argument for your own foolishness than anything involving Cade. 

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Which will show up more in the NBA than in college where all of the athletes are better.  I know he is a stud, and if we stay at 1 I am all for taking him.  But I really like Greens upside more.  I think Green can be a Lavine with plus defense, which puts him in the top 15/20 players in the league too. I also just think Green fits with our team better if you have any faith in Killian Hayes (which I understand is tough given his limited showings last year).    Hayes isn't enough to not pick Cade, but when there is an option like Green, its worth exploring.  

Do you not think Cade and Killian could coexist in the backcourt together?  I actually like the idea of those two growing together.  

Cade has that same type of Paul George downhill movement with his dribbling style and his way to use his body at the rim. Jumper is average but when he is hot he can be unguardable.   

Pair him up with Killian and some shooters and Pistons have an exciting team. 

23 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

You must have missed the game he single handedly beat Baylor, you know the dominant Baylor team that steam rolled to a national title.  At this point your making a better argument for your own foolishness than anything involving Cade. 

I think Cade will be a solid NBA player, I just don't think that he'll be a transcendent talent like many have hyped him up to be. I view him more as a secondary creator/ball handler than a PG but I think that the hype around him being a true PG has gotten out of hand based on what Luka has been able to do at his size over the last couple of years. 

As I've said before he lacks a degree of explosiveness to consistently be able to beat guys off the bounce and his shooting numbers were good last season from 3, but that had been one of the few knocks on him coming into college. Almost 1/3 of his shot attempts at Oklahoma State were mid-range jumpers and 91% of those attempts were unassisted shots off the bounce. He had to settle for a lot of difficult shots because he couldn't get around the corner against defenders. 

I think that his game is better suited for the NBA though because he'll have better spacing around him and he's good as a p-n-r ball handler. I think that his realistic upside/pro comparison is Jayson Tatum, which is very good, but I just personally don't view him as a PG or a Luka type of primary ball handling wing.

• Like 1