2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's similar in size to guys like Bosh/AD coming in and neither had any issue thriving at the 4. 

Mobley is a way better shooter than Collins was coming into the league and plays the 4 next to a rim protecting 5 in Capela just fine. Plus Allen is a good, not great, defender/rim protector and that's one of the reasons your small back court was getting exposed defensively. 

John Collins is an exception, you're not going to find 20/10 bigs later in the draft every year. If there was a re-draft he'd be a top 5-6 pick. 

Regardless of who you draft I personally don't think Allen is worth $30M a year. 

I’d pay it because he’s already jelled with the culture, been a great teammate from all accounts, and is still ascending. 

Mobley ain’t Bosh or AD though lol

Bosh was an absolute bucket mid range. He literally had a lethal jumper. Mobley is not lethal. 

What makes Mobley so special is his athleticism at this size. Really Ayton is the only comparable guy that is as skilled at that size. Mobley isn’t quite as powerful but he’s more nimble. Play him at the 5 and your basically at an advantage every game. That’s where he’s special to me. 

Even like a AD you can play him at the 5 but he said it himself his best position is at the 4.  

10 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’d pay it because he’s already jelled with the culture, been a great teammate from all accounts, and is still ascending. 

Mobley ain’t Bosh or AD though lol

Bosh was an absolute bucket mid range. He literally had a lethal jumper. Mobley is not lethal. 

What makes Mobley so special is his athleticism at this size. Really Ayton is the only comparable guy that is as skilled at that size. Mobley isn’t quite as powerful but he’s more nimble. Play him at the 5 and your basically at an advantage every game. That’s where he’s special to me. 

Even like a AD you can play him at the 5 but he said it himself his best position is at the 4.  

That's all nice to hear but overpaying average players is the way that bad teams stay bad. Allen's production over the last 3 seasons has been virtually identical and he's definitely not worth $30M per year. 

You can't compare Mobley to what Bosh/AD became in the NBA, you have to compare him to what they were at the same stage. 

As freshman Mobley averaged 16/9/3, Davis averaged 14/10/5, and Bosh averaged 16/9/2. 

We don't have the shooting numbers for Bosh but as a freshman he shot 22/46 from 3 (47%) and 73% FT, this was with a shorter 3P line.

Mobley: 28/56 on mid-range jumpers (50%), 12/40 on 3's (30%)

Davis: 20/49 on mid-range jumpers (40%), 3/20 on 3's (15%) 

What make Mobley so special is his movement and fluidity at his size. I don't really see a lot of parallels between Mobley and Ayton. Ayton was more of a throw back big, he was 7'0" 260 with a 7'0" WS coming into the draft and made his living around the rim. But his lack of length, even at his size limited his shot blocking ability in college and he hasn't been a great shot blocker in the NBA either. 

Mobley needs to gain weight/strength but it's his length, movement, and explosiveness that make him a special defensive prospect. He'll be an elite rim protector that can switch onto smaller players. And I think in terms of offensive skill set he showed more as a ball handler/shooter than Ayton did because Mobley's post up numbers were actually pretty meh at USC. 

The draft is about projection and Mobley flashed the ability to face up, hit jump shots, and put the ball on the floor. He's still a work in progress but I think offensively he's a lot closer to someone like Bosh then Ayton. 

• Like 1

Anthony Davis only made 3 three's in his first 3 years in the league and only 1/3 of his 2P FG attempts came outside of 10 feet. Bosh only made 8 three's in first 3 years in the league and like 50% of his 2P FG attempts came outside of 10 feet.

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

33 will be up for grabs. No way the Magic add 3 rookies to an already very young roster.

Hoping the Magic trade 8 to the Spurs. 33 would be nice too tho. That's potentially Wieskamp or Thor. Bassey should def be there.

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Hoping the Magic trade 8 to the Spurs. 33 would be nice too tho. That's potentially Wieskamp or Thor. Bassey should def be there.

I think Thor has a 1st round promise and I could see Wieskamp sneaking into the back end of the 1st round. 

10 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

33 will be up for grabs. No way the Magic add 3 rookies to an already very young roster.

I could see the Magic targeting a European player and stashing him. Roko Prkacin or Vrenz Bleinenbergh would both make sense. Both guys are 6'9" combo forwards that can shoot.

14 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I'd cream myself if the Jazz could somehow trade...

Jazz receive: Wendell Carter Jr, #33

Magic receive: Derrick Favors, Udoka Azubuike, Matt Thomas, #30

Greg Brown has received 0 hype or discussion leading up to the draft. But if he ends up in the right situation I think he can be a steal for someone. He's rawer offensively than steak tartare but he's a decent shooter, super athletic, and a very good defender.