Favorite "Hall of Very Good" guys.

Beavis

The Pats have specialized in having very good players at LB, without ever landing a truly HoF calibre player. Bruschi, Vrabel, Ninkovich, Mayo all HoVG players. McGinest and Hightower were probably closest to HoF, and even with 3 SBs each I'd doubt they make it anytime soon.

Julian Edelman is destined for the HoVG, and I love the crap out of him as player. 

In terms of non-Pats teams I was a big fan of Greg Olsen even during his (under-used) Chicago days, and I seriously doubt he ever makes the HoF, considering he'd up against Gates/Witten/Gonzalez just before him, and then Gronk/Kittle/Kelce right after. And Darren Sproles, I desperately wanted Sproles in NE after he left SD in 2010. Sproles would have killed it in NE.

I'm not sure he'd even make HoVG, but Jim Leonhard was a personal favourite too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Deuce McAllister and Jamaal Charles for me. Both likely would have been HOF caliber players had they been able to stay healthy.

Charles was so special and was so under-used during his early years. Sadly injuries and bad coaching derailed his potential.

His 5.4ypc is a record that I don't see being broken any time soon, especially with an 11 year career.

• Like 1

Lots of Andy Reid Eagles:

• Brian Westbrook
  • John Runyan
  • William Thomas
  • Tra Thomas
  • Jeremiah Trotter
  • David Akers
  • Brian Mitchell
  • Hugh Douglas

Vermeil Eagles

• Wilbert Montgomery
  • Bill Bergey

Buddy Eagles

• Clyde Simmons
  • Seth Joyner
Edited by SkippyX

5 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Robert Mathis, Dallas Clark.  I personally think Reggie Wayne should be in the hall of fame eventually.

5 hours ago, Beavis said:

Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders were a couple of my favorite Colts of that era. 

Mathis and Freeney are both top 20 all time in sacks... Pretty sure both will get in eventually so not sure they really fit the theme of the thread.

Several good names mentioned, for sure. But some of these? Some of these are just dudes that you liked for a few years, not players whose resumes would really be worth noting for a theoretical Hall of Very Good. Chester Taylor? Deshaun Foster? Not even close. Compare those careers to other RBs mentioned like Steven Jackson and Jamaal Charles. The two latter names are much more worthy. Those guys were BEASTS and if just a few things broke differently in their careers, are probably at least being discussed for HoF.