Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

19 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree.  We got lucky in 2016 that led most including me to think we had turned the corner.  

I think we could have continued that level of play if we made the right moves.  Reggie Nelson needed to be replaced.  We should've kept our OC.  We needed to keep L. Murray instead of signing M. Lynch and drafted a RB other than J. Richard and the other RB (I think D. Washington was his name).  We needed to find Crabtree's replacement as well.  We could have done a lot of things differently to keep our team competitive but we really made a lot of bad decisions after that season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Have you never heard announcer say they should have tried to use more clock or they scored a little to quickly.  This is not checkers.  The best QBs and coaches understand situational football.  You do not always go for the throat right away.  When a team is driving to kick a game winning FG they grind out 1st downs with running the ball to the point where they can stop the clock with a couple seconds so the other teams does not even have a shot at a hail mary.  We have been like a junior high school boy trying to touch boobs for the first time.  

They did that vs Miami and look what happened. Again, the defense gets paid too! 

22 minutes ago, Jerry said:

The goal is to score more points.  We did that.  Literally just needed the defense to hold for 2:24 but Abram decided to blow coverage.  Kelce was left wide open for the go ahead TD.  Blame Abram before you blame DC.  Blame Guenther before you blame DC.  If either of them could do their job then for all we know we could've beaten KC twice.

I am not saying it is DC's fault what the individual players do on defense.  I am saying we know the defense can not be relied upon so we need the offense to take that into account when deciding what to do.  The coaches and players have to make the 2 sides work together.  The offense should know that they need to be the ones with the ball at the end of the game.  Miami they did it but hail marys happen.  Against KC they did not.  I do blame Guenther and the defense.  Step number one was getting rid of Guenther and step number to is improving the talent on defense.  The offense has to think through these situations though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not saying it is DC's fault what the individual players do on defense.  I am saying we know the defense can not be relied upon so we need the offense to take that into account when deciding what to do.  The coaches and players have to make the 2 sides work together.  The offense should know that they need to be the ones with the ball at the end of the game.  Miami they did it but hail marys happen.  Against KC they did not.  I do blame Guenther and the defense.  Step number one was getting rid of Guenther and step number to is improving the talent on defense.  The offense has to think through these situations though.

I'm glad we just agreed on a bunch of stuff.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Never said he hasn't lost us games.  Just don't understand why people place more blame on him than our very, very, very crappy defense.

Yea, these guys act like we’re blinded to Carrs limitations. I just wish we held the rest of the team to the same standards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

Yea, these guys act like we’re blinded to Carrs limitations. I just wish we held the rest of the team to the same standards.

Agree 100%.

We really need a ton of help on defense.  We literally need to replace about 6-7 starters.  Only decent players are Mullen, Crosby, Kwit, Littleton, and maybe (huge maybe) Abram (if used correctly as a pass rushing NCB and box safety to help stop the run).  We need to find 3 new starters on the DL, we need a third starting-caliber LB, FS for sure, after Mullen all of our CBs are iffy IMO. 

Just an overall much worse situation than our offense where we need to resign Good and Agholor and replace our RT.  I really believe the offense will go from 10th in scoring to the 5-8 mark just by improving our defense and getting more 3 and outs and turnovers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I have said 5 times today that they did it in Miami and it was a freak play.  Kc was another story and it is not the only time.

Arnette decided to leave the WR wide open.  Mayock was coaching DBs that day which doesn't help, but c'mon man!  Just completely dropped the ball.  It also pisses me off that the OL had the DL in a chokehold when he grabbed the facemask and none of the referees could see it (was clear as day too).  Play should have had offsetting penalties and been replayed.  Could've won that game but referees suck and can't be relied upon.

40 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Are you playing checkers or chess.  It is situational football.  As an extreme example if you need a field goal to win and you have 1st and goal from the with 2 minutes left and the other team is out of timeouts do you just try to throw a TD.  No, of course not.  You take a knee and run the clock down as much as possible.  The Miami game was close enough to where it was not completely clear whether scoring a TD quicker or kicking a FG was the best choice.  We should have won either way.  The circumstances at the end of the 2nd KC game called for a run first approach to scoring what should have been the game winning TD.  Carr and Gruden have horrible situational awareness unless of course that is even a thing.  Maybe I have it wrong and you are just suppose to score asap and force nothing but 3 and outs or TOs.  I never knew this sport was so simple.

Taking what the defense gives is not always the correct approach.  You need a Hail Mary but you throw it underneath because that is what the defense gives you would be a horrible decision.

If you watch the game you know that there was a pass interference 22 yards that made it 1st and goal. Then the Raiders ran the ball 2 times and score on a 3th and goal. In your opinion we should have declined the penalty to burn up more time right?

48 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Are you playing checkers or chess.  It is situational football.  As an extreme example if you need a field goal to win and you have 1st and goal from the with 2 minutes left and the other team is out of timeouts do you just try to throw a TD.  No, of course not.  You take a knee and run the clock down as much as possible.  The Miami game was close enough to where it was not completely clear whether scoring a TD quicker or kicking a FG was the best choice.  We should have won either way.  The circumstances at the end of the 2nd KC game called for a run first approach to scoring what should have been the game winning TD.  Carr and Gruden have horrible situational awareness unless of course that is even a thing.  Maybe I have it wrong and you are just suppose to score asap and force nothing but 3 and outs or TOs.  I never knew this sport was so simple.

Taking what the defense gives is not always the correct approach.  You need a Hail Mary but you throw it underneath because that is what the defense gives you would be a horrible decision.

Yes, if a FG doesn't win you the game, you have to score a TD. Down by a FG or more, not a single coach is going to wish they didn't run a TD scoring play because it let too much time on the clock. Not a single one. You have to score a TD and too many things could happen on the next play to let an opportunity go by.

Edited by oakdb36

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I think we could have continued that level of play if we made the right moves.  Reggie Nelson needed to be replaced.  We should've kept our OC.  We needed to keep L. Murray instead of signing M. Lynch and drafted a RB other than J. Richard and the other RB (I think D. Washington was his name).  We needed to find Crabtree's replacement as well.  We could have done a lot of things differently to keep our team competitive but we really made a lot of bad decisions after that season.

I don't think swapping Murray for Lynch was all that bad, but they definitely should have attacked RB in the draft. Agreed on a lot of the other comments.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Not really. The fact is that 2016 team overachieved. They were really a 9-7 talent team that was insanely clutch in close games. Never has so many close games gone to one team. Our point differential was on par with a 9 win team. 

I do think our biggest mistake after that season was two decisions and they both involve coordinators: Hiring Downing (not renewing Musgrave was fine, he’s overrated as an OC, but Downing was a horrible hire), and keeping Norton as DC. 

Edited by BayRaider

17 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

I don't think swapping Murray for Lynch was all that bad, but they definitely should have attacked RB in the draft. Agreed on a lot of the other comments.

I think changing our OL scheme from power to zone really hurt our OL.  That's why I say swapping them was bad.

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not really. The fact is that 2016 team overachieved. They were really a 9-7 talent team that was insanely clutch in close games. Never has so many close games gone to one team. Our point differential was on par with a 9 win team. 

I do think our biggest mistake after that season was two decisions and they both involve coordinators: Hiring Downing (not renewing Musgrave was fine, he’s overrated as an OC, but Downing was a horrible hire), and keeping Norton as DC. 

Well the same way they fell back to earth and went 7-9 the next season, we could've made some improvements and maintained a winning record the following season by just making some smart moves.  Which we really didn't make any.