MVS Appreciation Thread

Sasquatch

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

oh, I immediately dismiss any criticism in GDTs lol

it's all sooper reactionary and in the moment

That's the point of the game thread IMO. I bitched up and down about Pettines soft defense. Look up at the end of the game to find the Bears really only scored 13 points while turning the ball over twice.  (I'm giving 3 to the special teams fumble). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Would it be easier for you to swallow if he had dusted the DB less cleanly and therefore had the catch be contested? 

I don't know what certain guys do to get in the dog house, but we've got guys on this team in MVS and King where good things are irrelevant and expected, and bad things are to be placed under a microscope. 

Somebody had to take over after Blake Martinez left. If/when MVS and KK leave it'll be someone else.

5 hours ago, Spartacus said:

That's the point of the game thread IMO. I bitched up and down about Pettines soft defense. Look up at the end of the game to find the Bears really only scored 13 points while turning the ball over twice.  (I'm giving 3 to the special teams fumble). 

I try to stay out of GDT's now just because I can't help but flip out after every bad play.  I take no responsibility for what I post 10 seconds after a bad play occurs.

• Like 1

As for MVS, there is no disputing that he has improved since last season, and is a few (very) bad drops away from having had a very nice season.  He's not there yet, but it seems like giving him additional time to keep his upward trajectory going would be a wise move.  He is a low usage, high impact guy, and he offers something to the offense that other players do not. An MVS that can cut the bad drops in half is a player I want to keep in this offense.

Edited by Mazrimiv

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I can actually forgive MVS for the bad drop.  Sure it would have broken open the game.  But, he is what he is.  And he is a deep threat.  

I loved that we actually threw it to him deep a few times.  Hope we keep doing it.  

This - forget about number 2s and 3s and so on. MVS is a serious weapon as a deep threat.  Teams are afraid of it and will respect it opening up other options. We have to keep throwing it deep to him to keep teams afraid of it. Some he will catch, some of them he will botch, just have to live with that. 

He's not a reliable receiver and if its 4th and 3 with the season on the line, he's the last guy I would want to target. 

Not much point in slating him for drops - whilst I shouted at the screen, I can forgive him for the drops. He's not a good catcher of the ball but he has other assets which are valuable. 

We have a standout WR1  and then a bunch of other players you can do different things. We don't have a true WR2 but it doesn't really matter as long as we use the other guys strengths.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, the endgame is that you roll with it. A deep throw to MVS remains the most efficient play for our offense. We should be throwing it more, not less. That's even factoring in the drops. 

If it happens again in New Orleans you knew what you had when you built the roster. Every player has weaknesses. Every decision is a gamble. Sometimes when you hit on 13 you bust, but you do it every time when the dealer has a face card up. 

2/3 for 87 yards is a very good game. That seems to be what you're missing in favor of this hypothetical. 

As far as you're 1-4, get the **** out of here with your bull**** numbers. He's got a drop percentage of 9.5%. is that bad? Obviously it's bad. But it's not 25%.

I believe PFF has him at 7 drops. I know different sites have different numbers and I don't subscribe to PFF, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. He has 33 receptions. So, okay, not 25%, more like 21% if you compare drops to receptions. 1 out of 5. Not sure where you got the 9.5% drop percentage but again, different sites have different data. Personally, it doesn't really matter whether its 10, 20 or 25 percent. 

The most frustrating thing is that when MVS uses his damn hands, he catches the ball (see TD yesterday). When he tries to bucket-catch with his body, the drops occur. Use your hands man. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I believe PFF has him at 7 drops. I know different sites have different numbers and I don't subscribe to PFF, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. He has 33 receptions. So, okay, not 25%, more like 21% if you compare drops to receptions. 1 out of 5. Not sure where you got the 9.5% drop percentage but again, different sites have different data. Personally, it doesn't really matter whether its 10, 20 or 25 percent. 

The most frustrating thing is that when MVS uses his damn hands, he catches the ball (see TD yesterday). When he tries to bucket-catch with his body, the drops occur. Use your hands man. 

Yeah, he snagged a nice one with his hands when he sat down in a zone yesterday.  I think it's more mental than physical with this guy.  Rodgers has mentioned confidence on occasion in regards to MVS.  Get him a sports psychologist.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You don't compare drops to receptions. You compare drops to targets or drops to catchable balls. Drops to receptions has never been the way drop percentage is measured. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You don't compare drops to receptions. You compare drops to targets or drops to catchable balls. Drops to receptions has never been the way drop percentage is measured. 

That's fine, say I'm cherry-picking then. The numbers I have are 33 receptions and 7 drops. It is what it is. Again, I'm not picking on MVS for dropping a contested ball . He actually made a great play against the Lions on a back-shoulder, a play I never thought he would make. Otherwise, he's never been very good at contested catches, but that's okay. I just want him to cut down (and make it a rarity) to drop the ones that are literally dropped right into his lap when he's got the CB burned by 5 yards. 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I can actually forgive MVS for the bad drop.  Sure it would have broken open the game.  But, he is what he is.  And he is a deep threat.  

I loved that we actually threw it to him deep a few times.  Hope we keep doing it.  

We forgive him because he had a lead already. What if we were down at that point and he drops that pass, do we blame him for a loss and dropping to the 3 seed?

What if he drops an easy TD pass in the Super Bowl that would win us the game? I hate putting the blame on one dude because it is a team sport, but at what point do you think MVS gets put on the chopping block due to his drop rate?