The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

17 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I saw a huge improvement in atlanta's defense when he took over. His schemes from watching a lot of atlanta games (friend is a big falcons fan) are diverse and he gameplans to who he's playing. He hasn't ever really had an embarrassment of talent like Bradley and has overachieved. I think he will work with the talent we have (and don't) as opposed to running a scheme and trashing the roster to remake it AGAIN. TLDR scheme diverse, thoughtful, and willing to play to his player's strengths.

The question no one has/can answer is....

Can Morris run a press man heavy scheme?  He started out running Tampa 2 (zone 2) then played more Zone 3 coverage when with Dan Quinn.  I think I read he was remixing in zone 6 coverages. 
but he’s always played almost exclusively zone coverage scheme.  Our CBS are pretty bad in zone coverage and play much much better in press man.  I don’t think we can afford to scrap Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, and Robertson and for a zone scheme.  Not only that Abram isn’t very good in zone would be better playing man.

Edited by jimkelly02

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

When was the last time we had a good DC? We went from Tarver to KNJ to Guenther. 

I quite liked John Pagano even though he was temporary, other than John Marshall who I liked I really can't think if a genuinely good DC we've had this millenium 😔  

49 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

At the end of the day I would like whoever gets the job to run more zone. Teams who are good in zone do create more picks. Thats why I would like a coach who teaches instead of one who just coaches. 

Would you draft or sign new CBs to suit or just hope our highly drafted press man corners can adapt? Seems like a big risk to me and lots of wasted draft capital if it doesn't work.

24 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Would you draft or sign new CBs to suit or just hope our highly drafted press man corners can adapt? Seems like a big risk to me and lots of wasted draft capital if it doesn't work.

Use Mullen and Arnette. 

This is where brining in a DC who can teach these young guys is important. I don’t expect them to be great at it just by switching but if you can give them a coach who will take the time to teach them then it will be a non issue. 

I wouldn’t go strictly zone, but a mix of it would be nice.

They looked bad in zone this year because 1 I would almost guarantee they spent little time working on it and that PG and the secondary coached didn’t teach them. Nothing about this years coaching staff makes me actually believe that they can teach. 

4 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

This is where brining in a DC who can teach these young guys is important. I don’t expect them to be great at it just by switching but if you can give them a coach who will take the time to teach them then it will be a non issue. 

Which is why I've pushed so hard for Kris Richard. He was the Seahawks DB coach from 2010-2014 during that span they added Richard Sherman (5th round pick), Kam Chancellor (5th round pick), and Brandon Browner (CFL player) who were all unheralded coming into the league and that group developed into one of the most dominant secondaries in NFL history. He also moved Byron Jones from FS where he was an average player to CB where he played well enough to become the highest paid CB in NFL history.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Use Mullen and Arnette. 

I wouldn’t go strictly zone, but a mix of it would be nice.

They looked bad in zone this year because 1 I would almost guarantee they spent little time working on it and that PG and the secondary coached didn’t teach them. Nothing about this years coaching staff makes me actually believe that they can teach. 

Fair points. I'm really not sure with Arnette though, I do remember watching a lot of the CBs pre draft as I was sure we would draft one and Arnette was not good playing off, its one of the reasons I preferred Jaylon Johnson and wanted to draft him. Arnette just doesn't seem to have the instincts (or he doesn't trust them) but I'd be very nervous asking him to play zone. Just seems like he's well suited to play physical press man, as are Mullen and Lawson. Johnson and Robertson seem like they would be better being physical man coverage too. 

TBH I really don't think coverage is our issue (if we scheme to suit our guys) and we have tons of potential there, the DL is the banana in the exhaust pipe IMO.

29 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think teams can reach an agreement with coaches still in the playoffs. They don't have to wait.

They have to wait I believe. Peter King was talking about it recently. How a guy like Saleh can have his entire staff lined up and ready because he's not on the playoffs, but a guy like Bienemy is at a disadvantage because he has to wait. And further, prepare for the game and try to interview at the same time. Made good points

He wants to see the NFL wait to hire until after the Superbowl is played. 

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

At the end of the day I would like whoever gets the job to run more zone. Teams who are good in zone do create more picks. Thats why I would like a coach who teaches instead of one who just coaches. 

So we go zone and watch Arnette and Mullen and etc struggle?  They clearly aren’t good in zone.

Do you think they can be coached up to play zone better or we just bring in their replacements this season or next?

doesn’t seem like a great idea.  Too much talent/draft capital to be miscast in a scheme that doesn’t suit them.

Zone is coming.. look at who they have interviewed. All have ties to a zone defense. Idk what Barry runs so can’t speak on that but Bradley, Richard and Morris are zone guys. 

Are they not good in zone cause they were only taught man to man by the previous coaching staff 80% of the time or are they bad cause they can’t play it. Those are two different things. I would lean they were not taught. This is where the whole teaching someone comes into hand and why it’s important. These are young guys who still need to be taught. Build them up. 

Not saying they should be 100% zone cause being able to run man to man is still very important, but having zone concepts in today’s game is very important as well. There needs to be a mix. 

• Like 1