The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

This is a middle of the pack defense, maybe in the kinda 16-20 range? Which is much, much better than what we’ve had on this side of the ball for what feels like decades. Bradley has been good.

Typical story being that now we’ve fixed that bin fire, another one has appeared (the OL).

I think our defense is better than that but as we saw all season these slow starts on offense really stretch the defense thin. Not to mention the failed 4th downs. With a steady competitive offense it’s a borderline top 10-13 defense imo

What is nice to see with the D is that when one guy is kind of quiet, like Solomon Thomas was then Philon steps up. Littleton I thought played better too if Perryman was quieter. Also, given that we were down Mullen and Arnette then Robertson really stepped up big given a very tough task, Gus Bradley seems to have everyone buying in and the job he's done with Abram has been remarkable......he's actually been playing disciplined!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think our defense is better than that but as we saw all season these slow starts on offense really stretch the defense thin. Not to mention the failed 4th downs. With a steady competitive offense it’s a borderline top 10-13 defense imo

Yeah fair point, I can go with that.

But regardless, we’ve made some really positive strides on defense this year. There are still holes for sure, but it’s night & day from Gunther’s nonsense.

• Like 2

the defense was mostly fine. couldnt stop the run. but the bigger issue was allowing both 4th down conversions. chargers scored TDs on both of those drives if i'm remembering correctly. the first one to Jared Cook was inexcusable. just wide open. the second one was a good effort by Perryman.

my main takeaways from the defense are:

that we are really missing Morrow and potentially White. we need more speed in nickel, and Deablo isn't ready for full time duties.

that damon arnette isn't close. robertson should be the #3 outside CB

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Turnobili said:

my main takeaways from the defense are:

that we are really missing Morrow and potentially White. we need more speed in nickel, and Deablo isn't ready for full time duties.

that damon arnette isn't close. robertson should be the #3 outside CB

Bradley's reliance on the front 4 being able to consistently generate pressure while never blitzing changes things up quite a bit as well. 

I have to say that after the first few games I had a lot of hope that this year........this year it would be different. I tempered those expectations after we seemed to improve the first three weeks but we hadn't played against the likes of the Chargers passing attack.

After going against an elite passing attack in Herbert, Cook, Williams and Allen I can comfortably say that Gus Bradley is a great hire. Ok we didn't nullify the Chargers but we limited Allen and Williams to less than 50 yards and even though this was the game the offence let us down they played hard all game, generated decent pressure at times and were pretty good for the most part.

This D is a whole different animal from years past. We still lack elite talent really and we have a few holes here and there but the improvement is simply night and day in how the players are responding. No heads down, many less communication issues, less big plays and more aggression and swarming to the ball. Some of the tackling on 3rd down was great. I really do think if we give Gus Bradley time and resources he'll have our D humming.

He deserves a ton of praise, though there are still the odd things like the 4th downs, the 4th and 20 last game and a couple coverage errors it's clear to see we have something solid to build off unlike in years past.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Bradley's reliance on the front 4 being able to consistently generate pressure while never blitzing changes things up quite a bit as well. 

Guenther was reliant on the same, but we weren't able to generate a rush last year like we have this year. Crosby has taken his game to a new level. Ngakoue has also been quietly doing well too. Just don't have the sack volume from those guys yet, but it's coming. They're regularly getting pressure. The Steelers/Dolphins/Chargers all have quick hitting offenses.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Guenther was reliant on the same, but we weren't able to generate a rush last year like we have this year. Crosby has taken his game to a new level. Ngakoue has also been quietly doing well too. Just don't have the sack volume from those guys yet, but it's coming. They're regularly getting pressure. The Steelers/Dolphins/Chargers all have quick hitting offenses.

We're currently 19th in yards allowed, points allowed, and sacks. Our defensive line has been better but hasn't Bradley's biggest criticism always been his lack of diversity in terms of his scheme/play calling. Ramsey criticized him for it and wasn't Keenan Allen publicly saying that they knew all of Bradley's plays/audibles? 

In addition to being 19th in sacks, we're 18th in QB hurries. 

“Every week, we ran the same defense,” said Ramsey, per ESPN. “We never changed defenses. We never changed plays.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I have to say that after the first few games I had a lot of hope that this year........this year it would be different. I tempered those expectations after we seemed to improve the first three weeks but we hadn't played against the likes of the Chargers passing attack.

Bradley has definitely made a huge impact, particularly in the secondary. But our run defense has been pretty damn terrible outside of the Steelers game. 

I didn't think it was possible but Bradley has turned Abram into a decent starter. He's played at an above level this year. Honestly our Safety tandem is pretty sick. Hayward has been great and Mullen has been at least somewhat above-average. Secondary looks good for once. 

LB corps is still bad and we still need a more consistent pass-rushing DT. If we had picked Devin White over Ferrell, this is probably a Top 12 Defense. As of right now, I think we'll still finish in the 16-22 range. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We're currently 19th in yards allowed, points allowed, and sacks. Our defensive line has been better but hasn't Bradley's biggest criticism always been his lack of diversity in terms of his scheme/play calling. Ramsey criticized him for it and wasn't Keenan Allen publicly saying that they knew all of Bradley's plays/audibles? 

We'll keep this post in mind at the end of the season. 

Bradley has definitely made a huge impact, particularly in the secondary. But our run defense has been pretty damn terrible outside of the Steelers game. 

Yeah.. our LB corps is still a mess, and our DL is not a good run defensive line by any means. Yannick and Crosby are absolutely excellent pass rushers, but they have always been average at best against the run. They are not total complete ends like Mack was. Although perhaps it's not fair to compare them to Mack. Our DT's are also meh against the run.

A good way to solve the run defense issue is to take the lead early in games, something we have NOT been doing.....

I actually seen Bradley adjust abd blitz more in 2nd half when front 4 aint getting it done. I've been very happy with some of the in game adjustments by Bradley thus season. 

• Like 1