The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

Bradley has never been a big blitzer. He did start to do it more this year with the Chargers. I would be shocked if it wasn’t Bradley at this point. 

Front 4 is lacking the personnel, but it will be a good FA class for edge rushers. So definitely can upgrade that position and that lack of talent easily. 

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Knowing your worth? If no team hired you as DC, but you had several offers to coach DBs....what is your worth? Sounds like the NFL told him his "worth" is DB coach. 

RIchard... I have nothing against his actions. To each their own. But to me... you coach DBs, improve a unit and pad your resume to the next job. 

He was Seattle's DB coach when Sherman/Thomas/Cam all came in as young players and was a key part in developing the legion of boom. He was then the Seahawks DC for three seasons before moving on to Dallas. When he was in Dallas with Rod he was the defensive back coach/defensive play caller, so even though Rod was considered the coordinator, Richard was the one calling the plays. It was also his decision to move Byron Jones from FS to CB where he blossomed into a guy that then became the highest paid CB in NFL history. Dallas fired their entire coaching staff in early January and most teams already had their coaching staffs lined up or guys that got hired later already had the preferred coordinators they were going to bring with them. 

His resume speaks for itself. 

• Seattle Seahawks (2010)
      Assistant defensive backs coach
    • Seattle Seahawks (2011)
      Cornerbacks coach
    • Seattle Seahawks (2012–2014)
      Defensive backs coach
    • Seattle Seahawks (2015–2017)
      Defensive coordinator
    • Dallas Cowboys (2018–2019)
      Defensive backs coach, defensive play caller & passing game coordinator

• Like 2

@big_palooka

Kris Richard's defenses as a DC/defensive play caller

2015: 17.3 ppg (1st), 291.5 ypg (2nd), 37 sacks, 23 takeaways

2016: 18.3 ppg (3rd), 318.6 ypg (5th), 42 sacks, 21 takeaways

2017: 20.8 ppg (13th), 323.1 ypg (11th), 39 sacks, 19 takeaways

2018: 20.3 ppg (6th), 329.2 ypg (7th), 39 sacks, 20 takeaways 

2019: 20.1 ppg (11th), 327.0 ypg (9th), 39 sacks, 17 takeaways 

Seems to be a pretty good coach to me and also has a proven track record of helping young, under the radar players develop into All-Pros. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Sounds as if Bradley is the leader in the clubhouse. 

I saw a stat that the Chargers were 32nd in the league in blitz percentage. We know Bradley likes to create pressure with 4 and play zone coverage. Clearly that presents a problem with the Raiders personnel.

1. Rush a base 4 with no elite pass rush talent........

2. Blitz less than any other team with guys like Abram, Morrow and Kwiatkoski who've shown they are very good blitzers.........

3. Play zone and off coverage with corners specifically drafted for press man coverage.......

This sounds like a sure fire Raider DC hire, the fit is uncanny 🤔😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

@big_palooka

Kris Richard's defenses as a DC/defensive play caller

2015: 17.3 ppg (1st), 291.5 ypg (2nd), 37 sacks, 23 takeaways

2016: 18.3 ppg (3rd), 318.6 ypg (5th), 42 sacks, 21 takeaways

2017: 20.8 ppg (13th), 323.1 ypg (11th), 39 sacks, 19 takeaways

2018: 20.3 ppg (6th), 329.2 ypg (7th), 39 sacks, 20 takeaways 

2019: 20.1 ppg (11th), 327.0 ypg (9th), 39 sacks, 17 takeaways 

Seems to be a pretty good coach to me and also has a proven track record of helping young, under the radar players develop into All-Pros. 

Don't matter if the good ole nepotism of the NFL say he ain't worth much. Don't matter what he has done I guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

Don't matter if the good ole nepotism of the NFL say he ain't worth much. Don't matter what he has done I guess. 

In his 6 years as a coordinator/play caller his defenses have given up less than 21 ppg in every single season. In the last 15 years we have only had 1 defense that allowed less than 21 ppg. 

I would think by the end of the week we would see a hire.

For the people who like Raheem. Whats the positives behind that? I like him and think he could do a good job. I like his ability to create blitzes, but his resume is not that great. Feel like he is the fan favorite, but his track record is nothing like Bradley or even Richards. Since 2015 he has jumped around from an defensive to offensive coach