The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

The question no one has/can answer is....

Can Morris run a press man heavy scheme?  He started out running Tampa 2 (zone 2) then played more Zone 3 coverage when with Dan Quinn.  I think I read he was remixing in zone 6 coverages. 
but he’s always played almost exclusively zone coverage scheme.  Our CBS are pretty bad in zone coverage and play much much better in press man.  I don’t think we can afford to scrap Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, and Robertson and for a zone scheme.  Not only that Abram isn’t very good in zone would be better playing man.

I'm sure he can work with the guys he has to create a diverse, effective scheme like he did in atlanta.

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

Jim Schwartz anyone ?

I commented on this in the Around the League thread.

He’s almost certainly not being retained.  He was heavily criticized this year for it adapting the defense to the players and injuries.  Not to mention young players that struggled for years under him like Rasual Douglass and Sidney Jones turned there careers Around with their new teams.  All coaches who have been around long enough have something to criticize in due time.  
one thing about schwartz Is he always gets lots of pressure on the QB although being one of the least blitzing teams in the league.  He often aligns the DEs in 9wide alignment to help get pressure.  He rotates 7-8 DL heavily thought out the game.  Players have said it’s an easy to understand scheme and isn’t overly complicated.  It’s all about attacking over thinking.  They play off man coverage with 2 deep safeties most often.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/section215.com/2020/10/02/philadelphia-eagles-jim-schwartz-scheme/amp/

I heard Schwartz is taking 2021 off or will retire... btw.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I commented on this in the Around the League thread.

He’s almost certainly not being retained.  He was heavily criticized this year for it adapting the defense to the players and injuries.  Not to mention young players that struggled for years under him like Rasual Douglass and Sidney Jones turned there careers Around with their new teams.  All coaches who have been around long enough have something to criticize in due time.  
one thing about schwartz Is he always gets lots of pressure on the QB although being one of the least blitzing teams in the league.  He often aligns the DEs in 9wide alignment to help get pressure.  He rotates 7-8 DL heavily thought out the game.  Players have said it’s an easy to understand scheme and isn’t overly complicated.  It’s all about attacking over thinking.  They play off man coverage with 2 deep safeties most often.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/section215.com/2020/10/02/philadelphia-eagles-jim-schwartz-scheme/amp/

I heard Schwartz is taking 2021 off or will retire... btw.

Money Talks... throw him a bag 💰 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

This is the type of energy we need at DC, a young energetic coach that will push our guys and hold them accountable. 

As bad as the DL was at times, the secondary was our biggest weak link. If the DL can progress and LB can also improve as littleton settles in, a guy who can elevate the secondary is a must. I think Richard would be a promising hire and the results also back it up. I'd prefer him to Bradley personally. 

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

As bad as the DL was at times, the secondary was our biggest weak link. If the DL can progress and LB can also improve as littleton settles in, a guy who can elevate the secondary is a must. I think Richard would be a promising hire and the results also back it up. I'd prefer him to Bradley personally. 

Richard has had success everywhere he has coached and helped develop some of the best defensive backs in the league. I think he'd really resonate well with all of our young players as well as a young, in your face, intense coach. Our DL seemed to love Buckner and his coaching style and I think Richard would bring a similar energy into the building. Guenther and Rod don't seem like guys that can connect to younger players or inspire much confidence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The secondary was at fault a decent amount no doubt and we did struggle with injury of course, so I agree in part but I think its not necessarily down to just talent, a guy like Richard if he was more aggressive could really make a big difference as the 2 main things that are really holding us back IMO are:

1. Getting pressure on the QB, attributable to both players lacking pass rush talent  (particularly the DT position) and scheme being mundane and not aggressive with very limited blitzing, stunts etc.

2. Playing our DBs in less than optimum situations and scheme (rather than out and out talent). We have specifically gone out of our way to draft and sign aggressive, press man corners (even Lawson, Joyner and Robertson are up in your face, physical corners) then play them soft 8 yards off the receiver or in zones far too frequently in our ridiculous 'bend over a barrel' Defence. 

To me, playing soft and allowing a free release while not putting the QB under pressure is just asking for the offense to march down the field. If our pass rush is struggling then why dont we try to get sticky and disrupt the receivers near the line to buy an extra second for the DL to get there or blitz a LB or Abram more frequently, its like we're so terrified of the big play that it creates more problems than it cures. Richard may be a good call if he can fix problem No.2 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
29 minutes ago, G said:

I'm liking our guy 4 weeks in. LA test was brutal and with CB depth tested I expect some calls to guys we cut. Arnette looks like he will quit... 

Point blank the defense played well enough to win if the offense was even competitive in the first half

• Like 5

This is a middle of the pack defense, maybe in the kinda 16-20 range? Which is much, much better than what we’ve had on this side of the ball for what feels like decades. Bradley has been good.

Typical story being that now we’ve fixed that bin fire, another one has appeared (the OL).

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 4