2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

On 11/13/2021 at 9:44 AM, drfrey13 said:

That probably made it a lot more difficult to find a trade partner.  Maybe they should have cut their loses earlier but you have to be able to admit you are wrong and except the loss.  Many people have a hard time with this and get married to their investments.

In fairness to Arnette though he was playing for a terrible DC, was injured for most of last season, and was a rookie during the covid season. Kind of difficult to just release a first round pick who we hadn't really see play a ton.

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In fairness to Arnette though he was playing for a terrible DC, was injured for most of last season, and was a rookie during the covid season. Kind of difficult to just release a first round pick who we hadn't really see play a ton.

Arnette was a tough case but the off the field stuff was just to much.  I understand wanting to help someone but he just kept making stupid decisions.

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Arnette was a tough case but the off the field stuff was just to much.  I understand wanting to help someone but he just kept making stupid decisions.

It would've made more sense if he had an elite physical profile or projected as a good starter at least.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Didn't see him play this season either. 60 snaps. He was released for the off field stuff and it was made worse when his social media BS happened right after Ruggs killed someone.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It would've made more sense if he had an elite physical profile or projected as a good starter at least.

HIs only red flag physically was his arm length.  He really was a lot faster than his official forty and it showed on tape.  I still do not think he is an outside corner.  His best play in college was from the slot.  He was just a bad fit here and was over drafted.  Guenther screwed a lot of our young guys and their development.  I still think he has a chance to be a really good slot corner if he can catch on with the right team and clean up his off the field issues. 

We need to change how we prepare for the draft because it has really hurt our team.  Teams go into the draft needing upgrades at specific positions but we go in not having any capable players at positions.  We are not able to bluff or have the flexibility to grab a top talent that drops if they do not play a specific position.  Next year we might go in with no DTs and end up taking the 5th ranked DT that should be taken in the 2-3rd round area because everyone knows we are going to take one and therefore not risk waiting on one.  We will be forced to grab whatever is left.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

HIs only red flag physically was his arm length.  He really was a lot faster than his official forty and it showed on tape.  I still do not think he is an outside corner.  His best play in college was from the slot.  He was just a bad fit here and was over drafted.  Guenther screwed a lot of our young guys and their development.  I still think he has a chance to be a really good slot corner if he can catch on with the right team and clean up his off the field issues. 

We need to change how we prepare for the draft because it has really hurt our team.  Teams go into the draft needing upgrades at specific positions but we go in not having any capable players at positions.  We are not able to bluff or have the flexibility to grab a top talent that drops if they do not play a specific position.  Next year we might go in with no DTs and end up taking the 5th ranked DT that should be taken in the 2-3rd round area because everyone knows we are going to take one and therefore not risk waiting on one.  We will be forced to grab whatever is left.

Arnette definitely could run. He was a press corner used as an off/zone corner. We should have taken Johnson or traded up for Terrell then. So stupid. I could draft better in the 1st than these guys.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Arnette definitely could run. He was a press corner used as an off/zone corner. We should have taken Johnson or traded up for Terrell then. So stupid. I could draft better in the 1st than these guys.

Arnette was average at best in terms of his physical profile coming into the NFL, which is the reason most had a 2nd-4th round grade on him as a prospect.

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I will be the first to admit they would probably destroy me in rounds 4-7 but I have killed them in the first 3 rounds as have many posters in here.  To compound the issues we have tried to fit square peg into round holes.  So we over draft players then expect them to do something for us that they have shown no to very little evidence of being able to do.  Just makes no sense and I believe is partially caused by Gruden not valuing draft picks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Arnette was average at best in terms of his physical profile coming into the NFL, which is the reason most had a 2nd-4th round grade on him as a prospect.

Now I agree he was not a 1st round prospect but no way was he making it to the 4th.  Would have been considered a steal in the 3rd.  If he was gone by the time we drafted again Dantzler would have been a good choice in the 3rd.  Looking back at the 2020 Me vs Mayock when you choose not to select Arnette in the 1st and must assume he is gone by the next pick there were 6-7 people that wanted Dantzler in the 3rd.  Would have been a much better value.

Arnette did not have elite top end speed but his movement skills, quickness, and feet where great.  Once again why I keep saying he would be a good slot corner.  Hopefully he gets his head on straight and gets to a team that will use him properly.

Terrell is the only 1st round CB not busting so far.

Okudah - 10 games played, 7 starts. On IR.

Henderson. Traded already, Now a backup in Carolina.

Terrell. 22 games, 22 starts. One of the best CBs in the league this season.

Arnette. Cut.

Igbinoghene. Backup, 3 starts in his career.

Gladney. Cut.

3 CBs drafted in the 2nd (Johnson, Diggs, Fulton) and they're all starting and obviously playing much better than 5 of those 6 1st round CBs.

• Like 1