The Good, the Bad, the Gruden vs the Chargers

ronjon1990

1 minute ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Oline not doing him any favors, but jacobs isn't as explosive or as good as I thought he was. Really dissatisfying year for him.

I disagree to a degree. his making too many moves is starting to come from having to find space to run. watching his passes he catches in space he has been great at getting yards and getting extra Yards after contact. 

oline has gotten no push since week like 3 really. no huge holes outside 1-2 a game. 

I do not know how to feel about this game.  I think a lot of our flaws were exposed but I would like to see Mariota start next week and see what Marinelli can do with a long week with a full roster.  The refs made some bad calls and swallowed their whistle a few times they should not have.  I will have to remember the double foul.  Yes it is a rule but the first time I have seen it called.  Personal foul on Kwiat was BS.  Maybe next time just run through the pile and knee Herbert in the head because that is safer then changing your elevation and turn your shoulder into him.  I have things to smile about but still very disappointed.

9 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Oline not doing him any favors, but jacobs isn't as explosive or as good as I thought he was. Really dissatisfying year for him.

Oline looked bad.  Mariota with his legs is a better choice now that our playoff chances are pretty much gone.

Good:

- Mariota looked like an NFL starting caliber quarterback, and a good one. I’m not making the argument he’s better than Carr, Carr has had a good season, and we’d need a lot more evidence, but it was nice to see a change of pace in skillset of some things Carr cannot do like run more often and obviously faster, extend plays easier to make a late pass, and throw in tight windows/take riskier chances. I hope Mariota starts next week. 

- Agholor still been pretty good this year, and I hope we extend him. 

- Waller is a solid TE, not sure why he gets some overrated comments. Yeah, he’s not the greatest blocker, but he’s probably the third best receiving Tight End in the league, and Top 5-6 overall. 

Bad: 

- Gruden had some questionable play calling, although I can’t knock him too much because he did routinely go for it on 4th down and convert. But he needs to be more creative and not just play the percentages. This isn’t poker. DC’s can kind of predict Gruden. Don’t get me wrong... he’s not Green Bay McCarthy levels of predictable by any means, but at certain points in the game you kinda know what play he is gonna call. 

- Defense as a whole... they weren’t terrible tonight, and had their moments, but still bad. 

- We can blame the OL all we want, which I’m getting to next, but Jacobs has become a pretty stale runner and you basically know exactly what he’s gonna do. I also feel teams do not respect his long speed. Jacobs 3.7 avg this year is not all on the OL by any means, but some of it is for sure. 

- OL was horrible in this game. Kolton got owned by LA like he always does. Usually has 13 good games a year, 3 bad games with 2 against LAC. Pretty much his regular. Bosa clowns him hard. Trent and Gabe are overrated. Hudson still very good but has slightly regressed. And Good is just average. Richie was our best OL. Both the Pass Protection and Run Blocking have taken a step back this year. The Pass Protection has still been good, but not great, and the Run Blocking has been poor. 

Ugly:

- Mullen was awful today. Awful. Worst game of the year. And worse than most of his rookie games. Not all, but worse than most of them. He’s had a solid season actually, second best defensive player behind Kwait, but absolute hot garbage today. 

- The Refs. I haven’t blamed the refs for a loss in years but they cost us this game. DPI was called on us all day and completely ignored when the Chargers committed it. Helmet to helmet and other suspect fouls were called on the Raiders all day and helmet to helmet when the Chargers committed it was completely ignored. It was a completely one sided called game and even most fans in NFL General believe that as well. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

We not having that discussion we talking about this game.

That play call on 3rd and goal was a worse play call than cover 0 in the jets game.

Haha ok cool. I’ll leave it there.

agreed Grudens play calling is crap, I’ve said it all year. 
glad people are starting to agree

18 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

People trying to put 100% of the blame on the OL because they love Jacobs so much. In reality, it’s a mixed blame, and Jacobs looks very stale and predictable. Plus teams are not respecting him to break one in any way. Jacobs has more run blitzes committed against him than any other back, and the LBs play more aggressive against him, because Jacobs is not going to take one to the house. 

Jacobs has had a poor year.