Sam vs. Fields vs. Wilson

jetsfan4life51

Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 2021 Jets starting QB?

• Sam Darnold
    • Justin Fields
    • Zach Wilson

29 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

We can still have him play out his last year and potentially tag him if he turns it around with Gase gone.

That’s the thing his issues aren’t Gase related. Say we find him a McVay who can do it everything possible to make the offense easy for him, he can still end up like Goff who we just seen doesn’t have it. Not enough to warrant a big contract. 

This past game was Sam’s best of the season and he wasn’t even spectacular but he just didn’t make any game killing throws, still refused to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack but overall he managed the game enough for us to win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Tbh I never rated Lance. If I had to do a top few it’d be.

1. TLaw

2. Fields

3. Wilson

4. Trask

5. Jones

6. Lance

And wouldn’t draft anyone in the top 10 outside of TLaw and Fields

I can agree with your list and draft positioning. What about Purdy and Pickett?  I have watched a little of them and they seem like day two picks.  I like QB's that play reasonably well but do not come from dominating programs.  They look decent because they are decent and not because they have great weapons and dominating D's.  I am not saying they are the next Brees (Purdue), but there is something to be said about programs who typically do not dominate their conference and yet win games with a good QB.  Ramsey of NW may be included there as well.

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

I can agree with your list and draft positioning. What about Purdy and Pickett?  I have watched a little of them and they seem like day two picks.  I like QB's that play reasonably well but do not come from dominating programs.  They look decent because they are decent and not because they have great weapons and dominating D's.  I am not saying they are the next Brees (Purdue), but there is something to be said about programs who typically do not dominate their conference and yet win games with a good QB.  Ramsey of NW may be included there as well.

I think it’s pointless to even look that far down. It’s 2 QBs in the draft for us or Darnold. 

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That’s the thing his issues aren’t Gase related. Say we find him a McVay who can do it everything possible to make the offense easy for him, he can still end up like Goff who we just seen doesn’t have it. Not enough to warrant a big contract. 

This past game was Sam’s best of the season and he wasn’t even spectacular but he just didn’t make any game killing throws, still refused to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack but overall he managed the game enough for us to win.

I'm just highlighting one of many possible scenarios. It's not that I have faith in Sam, or I think it's all on Gase. I'm just saying there's still exists a possibility that we don't trade Sam this offseason and end up keeping him (possibly long term).

I think we have to realize that with no TLaw our (what better be) HC vacancy isn’t nearly as attractive. 

Even less attractive if we are telling candidates we’re sticking with Darnold. All we’re selling at that’s stage is what would more than likely be 2 franchise OTs

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I'm just highlighting one of many possible scenarios. It's not that I have faith in Sam, or I think it's all on Gase. I'm just saying there's still exists a possibility that we don't trade Sam this offseason and end up keeping him (possibly long term).

I think it’s more likely we keep him right now. I just know his issues that he needs to fix are internal and if he can get better mentally then he’ll be fine. That’s the thing holding him back. A rookie in Burrow dealt with a similar hand that Sam did but the difference was the poise and confidence to not rush and not beat yourself. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

I think it’s more likely we keep him right now. I just know his issues that he needs to fix are internal and if he can get better mentally then he’ll be fine. That’s the thing holding him back. A rookie in Burrow dealt with a similar hand that Sam did but the difference was the poise and confidence to not rush and not beat yourself. 

He needs to learn how to read a defense. He seems to get easily fooled on pre-snap reads and then commits to that pre-snap read entirely.

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Carson Wentz have people thinking Doug Pederson was a terrible coach and comes Jalen Hurts and the Eagles look so much better. Wentz and Hurts had the exact same circumstances. 

Wentz, for whatever reason, has just decided to suck this year.  I put no blame on Pederson.  It should also be kept in mind the Philly OL is old and falling apart.  The younger, more nimble Hurts is going to help with that aspect.  I will say that Philly will be in deep doo-doo these next few years.  An aging roster, a highly paid QB who has forgotten how to play.  Major salary cap issues.  Yeah, it is going to be a real rough road and Pederson may be the fall guy.

Edited by xrade

I think you give Sam the 5th year option. You are going to have a ton of cap space and it is very nice to have a strong backup. Money is not the problem it is talent. What I saw Sunday against the Rams was Sam making some very good throws. I don't think he is all that bad. I see him as a middle of the pack type guy which you can win with i.e Stafford, Rivers, Flacco, guys.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Pickett returns.  Purdy is bad at decision making.  Ramsey is limited.   Really there is not much of options at qb this time.

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think you give Sam the 5th year option. You are going to have a ton of cap space and it is very nice to have a strong backup. Money is not the problem it is talent. What I saw Sunday against the Rams was Sam making some very good throws. I don't think he is all that bad. I see him as a middle of the pack type guy which you can win with i.e Stafford, Rivers, Flacco, guys.

No.  Just because Jets declining the 5th year option on Darnold doesn't mean he can't be with them next season.  Darnold should stay with Jets until he becomes UFA after next season.   

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yup, we didn't have to pick him third overall to get his best. You can get a serviceable quarterback pretty much any which way. You didn't have to spend the third pick in a deep draft on THIS. At his best, this is Sam Darnold. An elite backup, a serviceable starter, a game manager and that is pretty much it.

No offensive coordinator/head coach is going to turn him into Aaron Rodgers. Heck, I don't even think he has as much potential as the guys I had him slotted with before this season began (i.e. Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Ryan Tannehill). I think he will max out at the Andy Dalton level of talent. So, borderline starter/backup tweener type.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we have to realize that with no TLaw our (what better be) HC vacancy isn’t nearly as attractive. 

Even less attractive if we are telling candidates we’re sticking with Darnold. All we’re selling at that’s stage is what would more than likely be 2 franchise OTs

This is perhaps the biggest blow. Yes, Lawrence the athlete could have and would have helped our offense a ton. However, what he brought to the franchise other than his ability was what could have really catapulted the club and now we have a lot of work to do in that area.

I still believe Dak Prescott could do the same for us that Lawrence would have, minus the huge salary cap hit. It would be an adjustment in terms of drafting more potential starters than adding potential free agent starters, but in the end it could come out as the same impact.

There will be no impact whatsoever with Sam Darnold still at QB. And, sadly, drafting any other QB second overall will not move the needle either.