Coaching/GM Interview Thread - News & Updates!

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I don't get it. A HC doesn't need to be "rah rah" to be good. He's a bright offensive mind and has done well at every HC stop he's had. As long as his health checks out he needs to be hired by someone.

when you bring up that he took the colts to the super bowl in his first season people go "oh he had peyton manning" as though peyton manning made a habit of getting to super bowls during his time in indy, lol. i really think he deserved a shot with andrew luck. then he goes to detroit and is the only coach to have anything vaguely resembling sustained success there for nearly as long as i've been alive, and gets fired for his efforts. maybe he's a "safe" hire but i think he'd be quite successful in houston, particularly after someone like BOB who really grated on the players there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

when you bring up that he took the colts to the super bowl in his first season people go "oh he had peyton manning" as though peyton manning made a habit of getting to super bowls during his time in indy, lol. i really think he deserved a shot with andrew luck. then he goes to detroit and is the only coach to have anything vaguely resembling sustained success there for nearly as long as i've been alive, and gets fired for his efforts. maybe he's a "safe" hire but i think he'd be quite successful in houston, particularly after someone like BOB who really grated on the players there.

Think he'd be great in NYJ, JAX, or LAC with a young QB as well. Seems like the perfect guy to help groom one (or take HOU where they want to go with an already elite QB as you said).

I like how coaching teams to be a consistent playoff contender/taking a team to the SB once isn't considering a booming hire and just "safe". I guess I'll take the safe hire?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, -Hope- said:

I agree.  He'd be a good fit to start getting the most out of a Deshaun Watson led offense.  Watson is a great QB, he just needs someone competent to help him man a high scoring offense.  Caldwell is definitely competent.

The defensive staff would be critical though.  I'd be pretty annoyed if he brought along some retread failure he's worked with before.  But, with all these defense first HCs getting fired, there ought to be good pickings.

One thing to keep in mind with the Texans...

The Texans like to have a "Special Consultant" who works as a defacto assistant HC - Romeo Crennell was that guy this season, which is why he was able to quickly transition to the HC role once BoB was fired. 

This guy isn't just a parachute in the event the franchise needs to eject on the HC - they oversee a lot, provide guidance for the HC and the assistants, and even work the game in the booth. It's possible that these two are interviewing for that role... An experienced voice to a green HC (which describes Bienemy, Saleh, Brady...)

This being said, @diamondbull424 may have sold me on Lewis.

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

I mean... He's not BoB, so sure?

Looks like they're going to throw in multiple candidates.

Marvin Lewis would be a great hire. He gets a lot of ire due to never being able to elevate the Bengals to a playoff win. But that organization is inept, and he never really had a great team on paper during his tenure. His stable success is a huge accomplishment in my eyes... they were the Bungles before he got there and reverted back to the Bungles when he left.

I think of all of the re-tread coaches, Lewis probably deserves a 2nd shot the most, preferably for an organization that isn't a perennial dumpster fire.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So 18 years... He's been a part of Aaron Donald, but he's also been part of Greg Robinson?

Good with the bad, I guess.

Meh, that way for any organization you look at.

Think a whole lotta people who would've had the opportunity to pick there would've been wrong on Robinson tbh.

• Like 1