Naming regional rivalries as "bowls"

pf9

The term "bowl" was originally applied in football to postseason college games, and to some stadiums.

It later came to define many regular season games in all levels, like regional rivalries or games with historic significance.

Many of the NFL's regional (or otherwise divisional) rivalries can have the term "bowl" apply to them, as follows:

AFC East
Buffalo VS. New England - I-90 Bowl (both home markets located along I-90)
Buffalo VS. NY Jets - Empire Bowl, Empire State Bowl (teams represent two vastly different parts of New York State, also known as the Empire State)
New England VS. NY Jets - I-95 Bowl (both home markets connected by I-95)

AFC North:
Baltimore VS. Cleveland - Modell Bowl (Ravens were born from Art Modell's attempt to relocate the Browns to Baltimore)
Baltimore VS. Pittsburgh - I-70 Bowl (this Interstate Highway serves both markets, albeit only the southern fringes of the Pittsburgh area)
Cincinnati VS. Cleveland - Buckeye Bowl (both teams in Ohio, the Buckeye State)
Cincinnati VS. Pittsburgh - Ohio River Bowl (both home markets are on the Ohio River)
Cleveland VS. Pittsburgh - Turnpike Bowl (both home markets connected by the Turnpike system)

AFC South
Houston VS. Tennessee - Oiler Bowl (pits the former Houston team with the current one)
Indianapolis VS. Tennessee - Peyton Bowl (Colts once led by Peyton Manning, a University of Tennessee alumnus)

AFC West
Denver VS. Kansas City - also I-70 Bowl (both home markets along I-70)
Las Vegas VS. LA Chargers - I-15 Bowl (both markets along I-15)

AFC Inter-Division
Jacksonville VS. Miami - East Florida Bowl (both on Florida's East Coast)
Cincinnati VS. Indianapolis - I-74 Bowl (both home markets along I-74)

NFC East
NY Giants VS. Philadelphia - Jersey Turnpike Bowl (both teams connected by the New Jersey Turnpike)

NFC North
Chicago VS. Detroit - I-94 Bowl (both teams along I-94)
Chicago VS. Green Bay - Lake Michigan Bowl (both teams near Lake Michigan)
Green Bay VS. Minnesota - Upper Midwest Bowl (both teams in Upper Midwest)

NFC South
Atlanta VS. Carolina - I-85 Bowl (both teams on I-85)
Atlanta VS. New Orleans - Deep South Bowl (oldest NFL teams in Deep South)
Atlanta VS. Tampa Bay - I-75 Bowl (both teams on I-75)
New Orleans VS. Tampa Bay - Gulf Coast Bowl (both teams near Gulf of Mexico)

NFC West
LA Rams VS. San Francisco - Golden State Bowl (both teams in California, the Golden State)
Arizona VS. LA Rams - I-10 Bowl (both teams on I-10)

Interconference
Baltimore VS. Philadelphia - Blue Line Bowl (1983 World Series was Blue Line Series)
Baltimore VS. Washington - Beltway Bowl (analog to Beltway Series)
Miami VS. Tampa Bay - Senior Sunshine Bowl (pits Florida's two oldest NFL teams)
Jacksonville VS. Tampa Bay - Junior Sunshine Bowl (Florida's two newest NFL teams)
Dallas VS. Houston - Lone Star Bowl (Texas is the Lone Star State)
Houston VS. New Orleans - Bayou Bowl
NY Giants VS. NY Jets - MetLife Bowl
LA Chargers VS. LA Rams - SoFi Bowl, Hollywood Bowl
Philadelphia VS. Pittsburgh - Keystone Bowl

Edited by pf9
  • Like 1

While I can appreciate the effort (and believe me, I actually do for this one) I have to think - these seem sort of bland and predictable.

I'd like to see something a bit more exciting, like how college rivalries are named - The Red River Shootout, Battle of the Bluegrass, Rumble in the Rockies, The Lone Star Showdown, The Backyard Brawl, The Holy War, The Civil War, Clean Old Fashion Hate, World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party - I mean, THOSE are rivalries names.

33 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Dallas VS. Houston - Lone Star Bowl

University of Texas v Texas A&M is the Lone Star Showdown, so you'd need to update this one. Oilers v Cowboys preseasons was for the Governor's Cup and Texans v Cowboys is for the Silver Boot.

51 minutes ago, pf9 said:

LA Rams VS. San Francisco - Golden State Bowl (both teams in California, the Golden State)

Hell yeah, niners are back to back to back to back golden state bowl CHAMPS

@El Ramster how does it feel to be a 4 time loser of the golden state bowl? get trucked son

• Like 1