What would a WR have to do to win season MVP?

notthatbluestuff

On 2/16/2022 at 1:48 AM, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I strongly disagree. 

What Copper Kupp did was much more impressive than what Aaron Rodgers did and arguably the greatest single season WR year within NFL history.  

An NFL MVP going to the WR position would've been awesome for the game of Football because A.) The WR position has never done it before. B.) It would've been great for the WR position. C.) It would've let current WRs and future WRs know it's possible and D.) Would've set a STANDARD for the WR position (moving forward).

Cooper Kupp not winning the MVP award was absolutely, criminal. 

I mean I'm a Packers fan so I'll admit I'm biased but I don't think Kupp was even the MVP of his own team. Stafford was far more valuable simply by the nature of his position.

2 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I mean I'm a Packers fan so I'll admit I'm biased but I don't think Kupp was even the MVP of his own team. Stafford was far more valuable simply by the nature of his position.

Stafford was very valuable but Cooper Kupp had the greatest single season WR performance of All-Time and neither one of Matthew Stafford nor the Rams even SNIFF the playoffs (let alone, Super Bowl) without him (Cooper Kupp).

3 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

if Kupp didn’t win it this year I can’t see it ever happening.

Seriously.  Rodgers won in a landslide where he played closer to his underwhelming 2018-19 play than his 2020 MVP season. Should’ve been Kupp in a landslide. 

On 2/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, ronjon1990 said:

1600+ yards, a ton of YAC yardage with fewer receptions than reasonable, new rec yard TD record, a lot of highlight catch and runs. 

Just getting open isn't enough, for sure. Someone catching a bunch of short passes and ripping off a ton of yards afterwards probably moves the needle a bit more. 

Honestly, it would probably take a Deebo Samuel type of WR that comfortably breaks 1000 yards receiving and also chalks up 500+ yards rushing and a handful of TDs on the ground. 

You're talking about 1,600 and 1,500 total yards. Those numbers wouldn't come close for a WR to get the slightest consideration for MVP.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

You're talking about 1,600 and 1,500 total yards. Those numbers wouldn't come close for a WR to get the slightest consideration for MVP.

I think someone getting to, say, 1100 yards on something absurd like 55 receptions, with most of them being short catches where the bulk of yards is a highlight run after the catch would make some waves. 

55/1100/24 TDs in the pass game. 

85/500/6 TDs in the run game. 

At that point, you're talking:

140 touches, 1600 yards, 30 TDs, and an 11.42 average ypc. 

Any non-QB getting to 30 TDs is going to garner some consideration, considering the number of big plays that would have to be made for the number of touches and yards to line up that way. 

As I said, the only real hope they have would be to utterly dominate the game in unrealistic fashion. 

Break the yardage/TD record, for the best team in the league, with an injury to their QB before like week 12.   I think doing it from outside the hashes helps, too, where you're drawing teams number 1 boundary corner, and forcing their safety commit every play over the top, vs pumping out numbers from the slot.  You're going to need to create those "unstoppable" type moments catching the ball over double coverage, that media outlets can lead their coverage with.   

An elevated Deebo Samuel type season might be able to accomplish it, for a slot guy.  Hitting double digit TD's rushing and receiving for a team with a top record would make for an interesting case.   

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

OPOY probably carries more weight

Honestly, I think that's fine.  As long as the V stands for valuable, time and again it's been proven QB is by far the most valuable position on the field and the MVP should go to a QB.

Offensive Player of the Year?  That can absolutely go to a player who exceeded all others at his position by the most like Kupp did this year, or Derrick Henry for those who love 500 attempts of 4.2 yards had he not gotten hurt.

It would take breaking at least one of the three major receiving categories record for a season and also leading in all three categories (triple crown). Even then, there would also have to be no standout quarterback for the season because the MVP award favors them so much.