Winston and Mariota vs Goff and Wentz

patriotsheatyan

Winston and Mariota vs Goff and Wentz, which duo with have better careers?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Winston and Mariota vs Goff and Wentz, which duo with have better careers?

• Winston and Mariota
    • Goff and Wentz

46 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Goff was absolutely terrible last year, but so was the team around him and Jeff Fisher can't coach. With improved coaching and weapons, he has shown tremendous progress- something I haven't seen out of Winston, Mariota, or Wentz, at least to the same degree.

If you don't think Carson Wentz hasn't been improving then you must not be watching him play. He's improving each week, bringing new elements to his game. Even from the start of the season to now he's improved certain aspects of his game to make him a more complete QB.

11 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

I feel like Mariota would look a lot better with McVay or Pederson at the helm...

Funny enough, even up until week 3 of this season, Pederson wasn't much of a coach. Or at least a terrible playcaller. He's started turning it around from that point onward. He, like Wentz, is adapting and learning.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

If you don't think Carson Wentz hasn't been improving then you must not be watching him play. He's improving each week, bringing new elements to his game. Even from the start of the season to now he's improved certain aspects of his game to make him a more complete QB.

Funny enough, even up until week 3 of this season, Pederson wasn't much of a coach. Or at least a terrible playcaller. He's started turning it around from that point onward. He, like Wentz, is adapting and learning.

I think he's been improving, just not to the same degree as Goff has. Granted he probably didn't need to either as Goff had much further to go (and there is only so far someone can). Basically, Wentz has gotten better from a fairly decent starting point. Goff has been absolutely night and day. That's all I meant.

Admittedly, I don't get to see very many Eagles games. So I'll take your word that I've missed something. 

15 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

How can having an opinion be a mistake?  I don't need to own up to anything.  You are biased, and i get that.  But, if you want to compare peaches to oranges, then the Eagles have an 8-1 record and are riding a 7 game winning streak.  From an eye test, and this is just my opinion, Wentz is Michael Jordan and Goff is Clyde Drexler.  

I had a long laugh at you comparing Goff to Hall of Famer Clyde Drexler after what you said here:

On 11/3/2017 at 1:26 PM, jsthomp2007 said:

Wentz is carrying the duo by himself.  

You were wrong. Just own it. Wentz isn't carrying Goff. They're both playing lights out football.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:47 PM, Danger said:

Here's a stat for all 5* QB's from the 2 draft classes

Aggressiveness %, % of throws thrown to receivers with a defender within 1 yard, tight coverage. Minimum 200 attempts on the season.

Carson Wentz 24.1% (1st)
Jameis Winston 21.2% (5th)
Dak Prescott 18.1% (13th)
Marcus Mariota 17.6% (15th)
Jared Goff 11.5% (30th)

So Jared's receivers are always wide open?

Comparatively, Goff's WRs are probably open more often than others because of how good of a schemer McVay is. However, it also indicates that Goff is reading defenses extraordinarily well and making sound decisions.(which the film reflects)

15 hours ago, Danger said:

My only wonder is, can he fit into tight coverage late in the game when he's down if he needs to.

Here's your answer:

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think he's been improving, just not to the same degree as Goff has. Granted he probably didn't need to either as Goff had much further to go (and there is only so far someone can). Basically, Wentz has gotten better from a fairly decent starting point. Goff has been absolutely night and day. That's all I meant.

Admittedly, I don't get to see very many Eagles games. So I'll take your word that I've missed something. 

One of the things that has blown me away is that Goff is now calling a significant percentage of our plays at the LOS (and with great success):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/11/06/one-key-sign-that-jared-goff-is-for-real-and-the-rams-are-contenders-in-the-nfc/?utm_term=.9976ee20f175

What blew me away about Goff in college was his mental acuity. I always thought his ability to read the defense, move through progressions, and anticipate what the defense would do were special abilities. However, I didn't think he'd look this good this fast in terms of mental acuity. He moves through progressions with speed. He's making brilliant audibles at the LOS, running our offense when we go no huddle, and getting our OL on the same page in terms of protections. Mentally, he looks like a special player, and that is the most important thing to me because that separates the average QBs from the great ones. Goff isn't perfect, but he looks amazing for a guy who is only 23 years old.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

One of the things that has blown me away is that Goff is now calling a significant percentage of our plays at the LOS (and with great success):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/11/06/one-key-sign-that-jared-goff-is-for-real-and-the-rams-are-contenders-in-the-nfc/?utm_term=.9976ee20f175

What blew me away about Goff in college was his mental acuity. I always thought his ability to read the defense, move through progressions, and anticipate what the defense would do were special abilities. However, I didn't think he'd look this good this fast in terms of mental acuity. He moves through progressions with speed. He's making brilliant audibles at the LOS, running our offense when we go no huddle, and getting our OL on the same page in terms of protections. Mentally, he looks like a special player, and that is the most important thing to me because that separates the average QBs from the great ones. Goff isn't perfect, but he looks amazing for a guy who is only 23 years old.

I was guilty of feeling like maybe he wasn't worth the hype. Considering last year (all the Rams stuff aside), he looked like another massive bust. And tons of folks in the media were calling him one. I've noticed the audibles and what not and it looks like McVay has more or less given him the reigns. And I totally agree, he looks like he's gonna be special. Do you think it has more to do with Goff or McVay? A little of both? 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I was guilty of feeling like maybe he wasn't worth the hype. Considering last year (all the Rams stuff aside), he looked like another massive bust. And tons of folks in the media were calling him one. I've noticed the audibles and what not and it looks like McVay has more or less given him the reigns. And I totally agree, he looks like he's gonna be special. Do you think it has more to do with Goff or McVay? A little of both? 

Both.

Wentz stepped into the best situation of the 4 imo. He's been as good as advertised, if not a little better. I was skeptical because of the small school label, but he's proven to be the real deal.

Yeah, I don't see how you can say Wentz stepped into the best situation. For that to be true, all 3 other QBs must have had to been drafted by the Cleveland Browns.....

Aside from our defense, which was great at times but very inconsistent, our team wasn't very good. We had a rookie HC who everyone deemed a terrible hire....Roseman LITERALLY had to just purge the team of any Chip Kelly player, basically.....we had a terrible group of receivers who couldnt get open....Ertz was still the "Zach Ertz who only lights it up in December for the last 3 years" at the time.....

Just like Goff and the Rams, Carson's been helped of course by his GM making incredibly smart and innovative acquisitions, great coaching, and development of the teams' other star players. 

On 11/7/2017 at 6:47 PM, Danger said:

Here's a stat for all 5* QB's from the 2 draft classes

Aggressiveness %, % of throws thrown to receivers with a defender within 1 yard, tight coverage. Minimum 200 attempts on the season.

Carson Wentz 24.1% (1st)
Jameis Winston 21.2% (5th)
Dak Prescott 18.1% (13th)
Marcus Mariota 17.6% (15th)
Jared Goff 11.5% (30th)

So Jared's receivers are always wide open?

Possibilities.

1. His WRs are always wide open

2. He does a better job at finding the open man

3. The stat could just as easily be called "risky throw %" and would still be just as meaningless. 

21 minutes ago, Danger said:

Mariota got carried, Goff put up another spectacular day.

Got carried? Wow... Did you even watch the game? Mariota should have had three TD's today if not for ridiculous mistakes by his WR's. And even with his WR's failing him he led a game winning TD drive.

Archived