STS: Jags/Dolphins Trade

howru8888

1 minute ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I mean, you literally had the #1 overall pick the next two years so I guess the trade out worked? 

How do you think we magically went from 0-16 to now competing for the playoffs and were not to long ago competing for the division?

Sashi Brown did what Sam Hinkie did in Philly. Without him, there is no Baker, Myles, Chubb, or even OBJ.

14 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I mean, you literally had the #1 overall pick the next two years so I guess the trade out worked? 

Yeah, put Wentz on a 1-31 roster and he’s out of the league. It was absolutely the right move for everyone...except maybe Philly, who probably has buyers remorse, albeit give me a ring and I’d do it in a heartbeat too.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

I mean, does passing on him really look that bad at the moment?

57 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

...Yeah...what a bad move for the Browns...I’d rather have Wentz and his broken play and arbatross of a contract instead of a couple of pro bowl position players.

Eh, I mean, that's just playing the results. If he's Mahomes / Watson that trade optically looks awful for the browns.

It gets complicated because of further trades, but if the Texans traded Watson for Jabril Peppers and Denzel Ward right now, everyone would laugh that the Texans made that deal. Before accounting for the OBJ trade, that's basically what the Browns would have done. The Wentz deal appears to have blown up on the Eagles, but for a while it looked awful for the Browns. 

You really can't base those trades on the results. Its a philosophy (and an evaluation on the QBs, but that's a much deeper conversation). The browns were in to quantity and wanted a lot of shots. I think that there is merit to the concept because of the crapshoot the draft is. You can't really worry about what you gave up to the other team...it's about hitting on your own stuff. The Julio trade is another good example of that...the Browns just whiffed on everything. If they don't though, nobody is laughing at that trade. The optics in those type of deals are always going to be this - if the QB pans out and is a stud, the team that traded it is idiotic (assuming they aren't sitting on their own). If the QB doesn't pan out, the trade is either whatever (assuming that all the picks missed), or a big win that traded the pick. Because if the guy is a true franchise QB, it likely / almost  doesn't matter what else the other team picked up with the selections

There was talk in the 49er forum about a possible trade up to #2 because the Kyle Cribbs posted a mock where the 49ers basically made the Jared Goff deal to move up to #2. Immediately people say it's too much (its basically 1 & 2 for two years, Plus a third or two 2 years down the line) because on the surface it is. And if you pick Rg3, it's tragic. But if Wilson is a Watson tier franchise QB, what then? Well then you're stupid if you don't make that deal. Hell, the Rams have actually managed to stay afloat and competitive after giving up that deal for Jared Goff, who is about as average as they come. They only missed the playoffs last year because Greg the Leg missed a FG against Seattle. Otherwise, they'd be 4 for 4 to the playoffs with a super bowl appearance in the last 4 after dumping Fisher, I believe. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Eh, I mean, that's just playing the results. If he's Mahomes / Watson that trade optically looks awful for the browns.

It gets complicated because of further trades, but if the Texans traded Watson for Jabril Peppers and Denzel Ward right now, everyone would laugh that the Texans made that deal. Before accounting for the OBJ trade, that's basically what the Browns would have done. The Wentz deal appears to have blown up on the Eagles, but for a while it looked awful for the Browns. 

You really can't base those trades on the results. Its a philosophy (and an evaluation on the QBs, but that's a much deeper conversation). The browns were in to quantity and wanted a lot of shots. I think that there is merit to the concept because of the crapshoot the draft is. You can't really worry about what you gave up to the other team...it's about hitting on your own stuff. The Julio trade is another good example of that...the Browns just whiffed on everything. If they don't though, nobody is laughing at that trade. The optics in those type of deals are always going to be this - if the QB pans out and is a stud, the team that traded it is idiotic (assuming they aren't sitting on their own). If the QB doesn't pan out, the trade is either whatever (assuming that all the picks missed), or a big win that traded the pick. Because if the guy is a true franchise QB, it likely / almost  doesn't matter what else the other team picked up with the selections

There was talk in the 49er forum about a possible trade up to #2 because the Kyle Cribbs posted a mock where the 49ers basically made the Jared Goff deal to move up to #2. Immediately people say it's too much (its basically 1 & 2 for two years, Plus a third or two 2 years down the line) because on the surface it is. And if you pick Rg3, it's tragic. But if Wilson is a Watson tier franchise QB, what then? Well then you're stupid if you don't make that deal. Hell, the Rams have actually managed to stay afloat and competitive after giving up that deal for Jared Goff, who is about as average as they come. They only missed the playoffs last year because Greg the Leg missed a FG against Seattle. Otherwise, they'd be 4 for 4 to the playoffs with a super bowl appearance in the last 4 after dumping Fisher, I believe. 

Keep in mind, I gave the above context, and advocated for this argument at the time:

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, put Wentz on a 1-31 roster and he’s out of the league. It was absolutely the right move for everyone...except maybe Philly, who probably has buyers remorse, albeit give me a ring and I’d do it in a heartbeat too.

Plus, Philly fans were insufferable toolbags about this after their run, so I refuse to be the bigger person here. :)

Giving up on Tua after one season would be a laughable move.

I've seen a lot of bad fan trade ideas from fans during my time on the internet but not one that makes absolutely no sense for either team, like this. There was a time I'd be ecstatic to have landed Trevor, but we made our choice and the right move is to build around Tua.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, howru8888 said:

Texans lose and then Dolphins lose + Colts, Browns and Ravens win. Dolphins end up with picks 3 and 18. Trade:

Jaguars get- Tua, 3, 18

Dolphins get- 1 (Lawrence)

If I'm Jax, I pass HARD on this. As in I'm doing this during that phone call:

laugh laughing GIF

Jacksonville was just handed a winning Powerball ticket. No need to trade it in for Tua and some magic beans.

If I'm the Jags I laugh. And laugh and laugh and laugh.

However, I think this thread should pivot to a more interesting exercise...

I wanna see if we can come up with a trade scenario that both sides would say yes to. Like, a majority of Jags fans here would accept, and a majority of some other team's fanbase would say yes to.

I would be quite surprised if it exists.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DannyB said:

If I'm the Jags I laugh. And laugh and laugh and laugh.

However, I think this thread should pivot to a more interesting exercise...

I wanna see if we can come up with a trade scenario that both sides would say yes to. Like, a majority of Jags fans here would accept, and a majority of some other team's fanbase would say yes to.

I would be quite surprised if it exists.

Maybe every 1st round pick from now until Arch Manning Jr is draft eligible? So that's like, 11 years?

Edit - 2026 draft, if he's declaring as a Jr. So, seven.