2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

On 3/18/2021 at 6:35 PM, SDotNova said:

Let me preface this with...don’t kill me. Lol.

Thinking about our DL and kind of suspecting we want guys who can get upfield and be disruptive. Foley is a great run stopper but he’s not that. So...what do y’all think about

Foley and 5th for Derek Barnett

Then sign Sheldon Rankins who fits that penetrating iDL better.

Rankins and Q causing havoc up the middle and Lawson and Barnett coming off the edge with nice depth behind them.

Kind of called the Rankins part a few days ago. Had a feeling we’d prefer penetrating interior lineman. Q and Rankins will crear havoc up the middle.

Unfortunately I think Foley doesn’t fit in our plans and will take a back seat.

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Kind of called the Rankins part a few days ago. Had a feeling we’d prefer penetrating interior lineman. Q and Rankins will crear havoc up the middle.

Unfortunately I think Foley doesn’t fit in our plans and will take a back seat.

Fats will play on rushing downs. IIRC, for a big guy, he got a lot of penetration. It would be foolish to let him walk with his salary. 

9 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I would say we should all buy Giant season, tickets with the powerhouse offensive they are going to have, they are going to be the hot ticket in town. With that said the draft is going to be a make or break time for this franchise. There is no question Douglas is going to have to make a splash some where in the draft. He will be under great pressure to come up with a QB, RB, OL,CB all these position must be first tier players. If he fails to accomplish that we will be look at another 5-13 year, and you folks will be making you mock drafts for 2022 by Halloween.

Maybe I am the exception, but it takes time to build a team through the draft.  Suppose we have a good draft, and win 5 next year.  The following year, those players have 1 year of experience under their belt.  We will also have 2 first rounders as well as our second.   At least 3 more good players.  Maybe after second year we have 8 wins ..... however, the players in these drafts mature each year .... the key is to have a solid upward trendline built through good drafts and player experience.  3 to four years from now, if things go well, we should be able to reel of a number of 10+ win seasons.

1 hour ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

Maybe I am the exception, but it takes time to build a team through the draft.  Suppose we have a good draft, and win 5 next year.  The following year, those players have 1 year of experience under their belt.  We will also have 2 first rounders as well as our second.   At least 3 more good players.  Maybe after second year we have 8 wins ..... however, the players in these drafts mature each year .... the key is to have a solid upward trendline built through good drafts and player experience.  3 to four years from now, if things go well, we should be able to reel of a number of 10+ win seasons.

Well said. It is all about the progress. Although, I am kind of hoping we are talking playoff potential in 2022. That, of course, will depend on QB. Keep Sam and then we wait another year. 5 wins may be a bit low. Our schedule is a little weaker this year and we have a real coaching staff. That alone brings us to five wins. Add 2 - 3 more for the improved talent. I am hoping for a .500 season.

Funny thing about this team. Most times when a new coaching staff comes on board we do well. It is then all downhill from there.  Surprisingly, Bruce Coslet was our most consistent coach with 3 of 4 seasons at .500. The rest since him, good then nosedive.  Parcels sandwiched his three seasons.

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

C’mon boys can’t any of you on here ‘run’ into him and convince him to sign for us instead. 

Giants are overpaying for everyone and really hamstringing their cap the next two years. Gettlemen is on the hot seat and is desperate to win. Maybe Saleh doesn’t like Jackson. He seems a little overrated here.

7 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Giants are overpaying for everyone and really hamstringing their cap the next two years. Gettlemen is on the hot seat and is desperate to win. Maybe Saleh doesn’t like Jackson. He seems a little overrated here.

I know. The Giants are wining and dining theses guys like they’re LeBron. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

I know. The Giants are wining and dining theses guys like they’re LeBron. 

That’s fine but it’s division title or bust and if it’s bust they are going to be in cap he’ll again with expiring contracts they want to keep, Saquon 5th year option or new deal and really only Nate Solder to cut, with still some dead money. So Gettlemen can keep putting these deals on a credit card but it’s not a good way to do business if you are t winning championships. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

That’s fine but it’s division title or bust and if it’s bust they are going to be in cap he’ll again with expiring contracts they want to keep, Saquon 5th year option or new deal and really only Nate Solder to cut, with still some dead money. So Gettlemen can keep putting these deals on a credit card but it’s not a good way to do business if you are t winning championships. 

Considering the division they play in, 8 or 9 wins could take the division. That would go a long way in helping Gettleman retain his job.  Here is a case where the “hot seat” is detrimental to building long term success.