2021 Offseason Roster Moves

Pastor Dillon

Why do I have the feeling Coutee will be the next Ty Hilton in Indianapolis - as in he's going to evicerate the Texans secondary?

Probably not, but this one just doesn't feel like it'll end well.

Maybe I'm paranoid and pessimistic, I dunno.

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

Why do I have the feeling Coutee will be the next Ty Hilton in Indianapolis - as in he's going to evicerate the Texans secondary?

Probably not, but this one just doesn't feel like it'll end well.

Maybe I'm paranoid and pessimistic, I dunno.

In fairness our secondary is so bad anyone could probably eviscerate us 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Honestly, I'm glad we're embracing the tank. My guess is we get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, possibly with the contingency of playing time or something similar. 

Shed the inflated BOB contracts, obtain draft capital, embrace the tank and turn the ship around in 2-3 years. Take a QB in the '23 draft and start rebuilding, getting younger player experience starting now in 2021.

• Like 1

Well, this explains a lot (via The Athletic):

At 65, Culley is the oldest first-time head coach in NFL history. He spent the majority of his career in pro football working under Andy Reid, first in Philadelphia and later Kansas City. At the latter stop, Culley briefly overlapped with Texans executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby, who was working in a character development role for the Chiefs. When Easterby received a call from Bill Belichick to join the Patriots, Culley encouraged him to go.

• Like 3

On 9/8/2021 at 10:10 AM, lumberjackchris said:

Shed the inflated BOB contracts, obtain draft capital, embrace the tank and turn the ship around in 2-3 years. Take a QB in the '23 draft and start rebuilding, getting younger player experience starting now in 2021.

A few questions:

- Are we doing any of that? We've shedded the only reasonable contract BoB had, Roby. We took a bigger loss on Bernardrick McKinney with the Shaq Lawson trade, Whitney Mercilius is still here, David Johnson is still here, Eric Murray is still here, we've traded away picks on guys who didn't even make the 75, let alone 53. Am I missing something? As far as I'm seeing, the best move Caserio has done is the one he hasn't done: Trading away Watson for less than max value. Other than that, I'm very underwhelmed by his efforts so far.

EDIT: I get this is a lost year, but what I don't get is this feeling that Caserio is doing a good job with the tank. It's not very hard to field a losing team in the NFL, some franchises do it for decades. I'm OK with calling this year for what it is, but don't try to sell me on this being an excellent piece of work to secure 1.1 (in a year where 1.1 isn't going to land you a Justin Fields, let alone a Trevor Lawrence). If you want to give Caserio an incomplete, I'm on board.

- When was the last time a 2-3 year tank worked in the NFL? We see it in baseball and basketball, but football? A much more nuanced effort, one that's predicated on finding the most important pieces in all of sports, a franchise QB. It's not guaranteed that you'll find one, either; For every Mahomes, you have a Danny Jones, Tua Tagovailoa or Dwayne Haskins, which sets you further back.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

When was the last time a 2-3 year tank worked in the NFL? We see it in baseball and basketball, but football? A much more nuanced effort, one that's predicated on finding the most important pieces in all of sports, a franchise QB. It's not guaranteed that you'll find one, either; For every Mahomes, you have a Danny Jones, Tua Tagovailoa or Dwayne Haskins, which sets you further back.

Fwiw, one could argue it worked for the Browns. But yes, generally it comes down to whether one hits on drafting, especially at QB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Fwiw, one could argue it worked for the Browns. But yes, generally it comes down to whether one hits on drafting, especially at QB.

How many rebuilds did Cleveland have to go through before we got to here? Was it 2-3 years... or four different attempts of 2-3 year rebuilds?