Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, I agree with both of ya. Also, I'm firmly behind your priorities @broncos67.

I've kind of got a theory right now about the Paton/Fangio pairing. Listening to Paton he's definitely a draft and develop kind of guy. Fangio, in spite of his on field deficiencies is one of the best we've ever had at developing players, getting amazing production from back ups and having the team ready to play every Sunday. 

I think Paton's already got the HC he wants. As a GM making all personnel decisions, draft picks, FA, having a guy like Fangio and his staff is a gold mine. Paton knows Fangio will get more out of his personnel decisions than 90% of the coaches in the league.

Personally I think it's a very exciting pairing. Sure, finding a HC that's better at game management is not hard at all to do. Finding one that's better at your top two priorities is almost impossible.

Rather than trying to replace Fangio I'd think it would be far easier to hire a game manager. A guy who's sole responsibility would be game/clock management. I don't think Fangio will ever be good at that. Shanahan was one of the best but when it came to the top two priorities he wasn't much.

Anyway, just a thought. I appreciate your input.

Great post and I fully agree with the game manager point. Looking across the league, I believe only three defensive head coaches actually called plays this year (Fangio, Zimmer,  Vrabel), while a little less than half the head coaches in the league are offensive play callers. I find this fascinating and it’s made me wonder about the dynamics of game management for a defensive coach. That late game clock management is most critical on defense, and if you have a coach who is so occupied with the next call from play to play, it’s not hard to see how that could present an issue most HCs don’t have to worry about. 

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, I agree with both of ya. Also, I'm firmly behind your priorities @broncos67.

I've kind of got a theory right now about the Paton/Fangio pairing. Listening to Paton he's definitely a draft and develop kind of guy. Fangio, in spite of his on field deficiencies is one of the best we've ever had at developing players, getting amazing production from back ups and having the team ready to play every Sunday. 

I think Paton's already got the HC he wants. As a GM making all personnel decisions, draft picks, FA, having a guy like Fangio and his staff is a gold mine. Paton knows Fangio will get more out of his personnel decisions than 90% of the coaches in the league.

Personally I think it's a very exciting pairing. Sure, finding a HC that's better at game management is not hard at all to do. Finding one that's better at your top two priorities is almost impossible.

Rather than trying to replace Fangio I'd think it would be far easier to hire a game manager. A guy who's sole responsibility would be game/clock management. I don't think Fangio will ever be good at that. Shanahan was one of the best but when it came to the top two priorities he wasn't much.

Anyway, just a thought. I appreciate your input.

I'd like to see the Broncos bring an assistant HC who can handle the in-game decisions of when to call a timeout; when to challenge a play; etc.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I also think it’s interesting to note that you can see a clear and tangible drop off in our success signing free agents starting in 2015, when Champ Kelly left the team’s pro personnel department. Meanwhile our drafting improved leaps and bounds when Peters left. In my opinion, if there was “one who got away”, it wasn’t Adam Peters. It was Champ Kelly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Honestly Peters would have been close to the bottom of my list of candidates. I don’t get the hype at all. How many bad drafts in a row did this team have before he left? Brian Stark ended up being a pretty big upgrade. 

Very happy to have Paton.

Personally I'm really pleased with what we've seen of Paton so far. Only time will tell but I think we've got ourselves a dandy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I'm really pleased with what we've seen of Paton so far. Only time will tell but I think we've got ourselves a dandy.

Agree with you AK. He's definitely a hire I am excited about. Minnesota has had a lot of success, and the feedback league wide about us signing Paton is very good. More than just the general platitudes you hear most of the time.

The fact Paton made an offer for Stafford with 1.9 (Klis reported 1.9 & Lock for DET 2.9 was the final offer, which wasn’t best but was at least serious) and is considering making a serious offer for Watson (again according to Klis), encourages me in his selectivity (cough no desperation attempts on the Case Keenum & Flacco’s of the world cough).   

Obviously it’s early but he hasn’t shown any flags to be worried about yet.   That’s all we can really hope for at this stage. 

It hasn’t been discussed much since the Paton hire, but apparently the team has been engaged in some back-and-forth with Champ Kelly for the Director of Player Personnel role. If that doesn’t come to fruition, Jamaal Stephenson (Vikings scouting director) becomes the backup plan. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It hasn’t been discussed much since the Paton hire, but apparently the team has been engaged in some back-and-forth with Champ Kelly for the Director of Player Personnel role. If that doesn’t come to fruition, Jamaal Stephenson (Vikings scouting director) becomes the backup plan. 

As much as I had my doubts on Kelly over the others as the main guy - I’m all for different perspectives to staff a FO.   Too much groupthink should be avoided.   He’d be a solid addition.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As much as I had my doubts on Kelly over the others as the main guy - I’m all for different perspectives to staff a FO.   Too much groupthink should be avoided.   He’d be a solid addition.  

I think Kelly as the right hand man provides some nice balance in expertise. He’s had a lot of success on the pro personnel side with free agents, street pickups and trades. The Vikings have obviously been built mostly through the draft. I also like the idea of having someone with a dynamic personality like Champ who can foster relationships with players in a way that Paton as GM probably can’t. Read an article during the GM search where Eddie Royal was just over the moon with praise for Champ and the quality of person he is. 

• Like 2