Elway promoted (kind of); George Paton hired as GM

lomaxgrUK

7 hours ago, anewdawn said:

the guy the lions landed as gm was the only one to interview twice.  Everyone else quickly learned what a joke that organizations is.  Even Saleh who is from the Detroit area knew to stay the heck away.  Half way down in the related article  www.mlive.com/lions/2021/01/detroit-lions-reportedly-to-hire-brad-holmes-as-next-general-manager.html and ps I already said it but will say it again the Lions are not trading Stafford unless they get a first.  Without him they will go winless or one win next year...............

I really feel for Lions fans, and they stick with them.  If they ever become relevant, I will be rooting for them.  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 4:50 PM, bMiller031 said:

Isn’t that the point?

Not sure I would want to give up a first for Stafford but the more I think about it we have wasted so much damn draft capital trying to resolve our qb situation I think why not........but even with our first it doesn't help the lions in my mind.  I would actually prefer parting ways with a few firsts to get Deshaun.  I think our offence would be set with a proven qb and the direction of the team forever changed.  I think our D is pretty good and we could weather the storm of giving up a few firsts.  Could you imagine our team with Deshaun.  I would obviously try to low ball but I would be willing to give up three firsts and with Deshaun those picks wouldn't be in the upper part of the draft.   Dare to dream.............

6 hours ago, anewdawn said:

Not sure I would want to give up a first for Stafford but the more I think about it we have wasted so much damn draft capital trying to resolve our qb situation I think why not........but even with our first it doesn't help the lions in my mind.  I would actually prefer parting ways with a few firsts to get Deshaun.  I think our offence would be set with a proven qb and the direction of the team forever changed.  I think our D is pretty good and we could weather the storm of giving up a few firsts.  Could you imagine our team with Deshaun.  I would obviously try to low ball but I would be willing to give up three firsts and with Deshaun those picks wouldn't be in the upper part of the draft.   Dare to dream.............

Keep in mind, our rankings PF and PA are 28th and 25th respectively. We're not competitive yet on either side of the ball and need a serious injection of youth and talent on D. Not sure how one player solves those issues.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Keep in mind, our rankings PF and PA are 28th and 25th respectively. We're not competitive yet on either side of the ball and need a serious injection of youth and talent on D. Not sure how one player solves those issues.

FWIW I don’t think we will get Watson simply for the fact that NYJ / MIA can easily outbid anyone else and Watson would likely be open to either.    From a metrics perspective though DEN D ranks 13th and was top 10 before we lost all the CB’s.    Obviously the picks lost make it a lot harder to address holes that will be there next year and 2022 in any trade scenario - but with good QB play we’re likely a 8-8 team next year.   With Watson’s elite level of play we’re into a 10+ win range next year.    

It’s hard to make the final leap without draft capital though - that’s fair.   And ultimately that’s what it’s all about.   But Watson being 25, also means that’s he likely elite for a long time - which increase the window to find pieces to make the team whole.   It’s a lot easier to take the final step if you have the elite QB.   The holy grail is the rookie year near-elite QB.   But given our track record I totally get why no one has much faith in that route for us.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

With Watson’s elite level of play we’re into a 10+ win range next year.

You think in our division? I'm kinda worried about the AFC West. Is it fair to say we have the most talented qb ever in our division, best rookie QB ever stats wise, and one of the best coaches of all time lol.

I guess maybe with a last place schedule.

If we had a division to dominate like the nfc east I'd be all over Watson think it has to happen organically to remain competitive in this division.

49 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You think in our division? I'm kinda worried about the AFC West. Is it fair to say we have the most talented qb ever in our division, best rookie QB ever stats wise, and one of the best coaches of all time lol.

I guess maybe with a last place schedule.

If we had a division to dominate like the nfc east I'd be all over Watson think it has to happen organically to remain competitive in this division.

NFC East, Jets, Jaguars & CIN/CLE/BAL/PIT (ironically PIT is not nearly so fearsome to face, with Ben's PFM-2015 level decline).    With just decent QB play, it's hard not to think 8-8 is realistic.  Add elite QB play, 10+ wins is definitely do-able.  Watson's certainly in that elite category.

Long-term, though, we'd be harder pressed to fill the holes that come with time, especially on D.   But that's where Watson being 25 helps so much - and the fact his 2023-25 years are very likely actually below-market.    Ideally, you find your elite or cheap-good QB in the draft.  It's a far easier path.   But we haven't been blessed with those choices...at least, so far.

I've been on record saying we're not a contender since 2017.  We're still not.   Sadly, the main reason we're still not is our QB play.  At least it's no longer an issue that we lack talent across the board at premium positions - other than RT, it's at least all on D now (and even then, Fangio's system and coaching have us playing well above our talent for 2 years running - the main reason why he gets a 3rd year).  It used to be we lacked depth at so many key spots.  Now we're a lot better off.   

Ideally, we'd have more on DL & CB, and if James isn't the answer (nor Anderson), then RT.  But that list is getting a lot shorter.   I think it's a moot discussion, since other teams can outbid us pretty easily - but we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the thought of upgrading QB to elite status.   We're finally not so far away.....if we get the QB.   And once you get the QB, if he's as young as Watson, it's a whole lot easier to fill holes down the line (but yes, 2021-22 are tough gigs without Rd1-2 picks, but no way around that with Watson).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Counselor said:

With Daboll returning to Buffalo for 2021 and Bienemy maybe not getting a gig this year I hope we fire Fangio after this season and give both of those guys a look.

Sometimes fate just lends a hand, ours is not to ask why.  If this is Fangio's last year, we could hardly ask for better candidates to fix what ails us most.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Broncofan said:

NFC East, Jets, Jaguars & CIN/CLE/BAL/PIT (ironically PIT is not nearly so fearsome to face, with Ben's PFM-2015 level decline).    With just decent QB play, it's hard not to think 8-8 is realistic.  Add elite QB play, 10+ wins is definitely do-able.  Watson's certainly in that elite category.

Long-term, though, we'd be harder pressed to fill the holes that come with time, especially on D.   But that's where Watson being 25 helps so much - and the fact his 2023-25 years are very likely actually below-market.    Ideally, you find your elite or cheap-good QB in the draft.  It's a far easier path.   But we haven't been blessed with those choices...at least, so far.

I've been on record saying we're not a contender since 2017.  We're still not.   Sadly, the main reason we're still not is our QB play.  At least it's no longer an issue that we lack talent across the board at premium positions - other than RT, it's at least all on D now (and even then, Fangio's system and coaching have us playing well above our talent for 2 years running - the main reason why he gets a 3rd year).  It used to be we lacked depth at so many key spots.  Now we're a lot better off.   

Ideally, we'd have more on DL & CB, and if James isn't the answer (nor Anderson), then RT.  But that list is getting a lot shorter.   I think it's a moot discussion, since other teams can outbid us pretty easily - but we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the thought of upgrading QB to elite status.   We're finally not so far away.....if we get the QB.   And once you get the QB, if he's as young as Watson, it's a whole lot easier to fill holes down the line (but yes, 2021-22 are tough gigs without Rd1-2 picks, but no way around that with Watson).

I think we have to agree that what Fangio has done with an injury riddled and depleted defence was just amazing.  Now I don't think he is HC material but having him I think will only be beneficial D wise.  I think if you basically take his input and draft D from the second on he will be able to address and resolve issues on our D.  Remember too that there is free agency to help out.  I just think that if we have too we can throw a lot Houston's way to land Watson.  Of course we start out somewhat lower with our offer.  PS I don't think Watson would like the Jets as an option.  They are light years away from being good.  Miami I get.  Peyton needs to call him and get him thinking us and our O!  PSS my plan for the lions last year was Herbert then Tua (mostly due to Tua's injury concerns) as a qb under Stafford and then as his replacement making Stafford expendable as you evaluated the formers.  Now if they get rid of Stafford they would have nothing and nowhere near the prospect of either Herbert or Tua.  But they are the lions and always do what they shouldnt.  So glad to be a broncos fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Sounds like we're keeping patrick he posted wat h what I do next year and out wr coach said I can't wait!!!

Got to think you're not letting that guy walk 

He's a RFA, so it's just a matter of what we tender him at - 2nd round at 3.4 M, or original tender at 2.2M (to save 1.2M), but let him find another team with no compensation.   2nd rounder seems likely - if someone wants to offer Patrick a long-term deal and we'd get a 2nd rounder back, we'd happily part ways with that.   And 3.4M for a 4th WR, even if everyone else is healthy, is justifiable on a team without cap issues, and that's us.

• Like 1