2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They have to cut the cord with Alex Smith. I appreciate everything he did for the team this year but we can’t be held hostage by a “mediocre-when-healthy” QB who’s doing this for fun. The only way I’d have any interest in Alex coming back is if they plan on moving up for a QB In the draft otherwise he needs to go.!

Probably a smarter play on his end. Make them cut him, take the money, then retire. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They have to cut the cord with Alex Smith. I appreciate everything he did for the team this year but we can’t be held hostage by a “mediocre-when-healthy” QB who’s doing this for fun. The only way I’d have any interest in Alex coming back is if they plan on moving up for a QB In the draft otherwise he needs to go.!

What blows me away is the talk that Alex Smith gets to make the decision.  It is almost like everyone thinks the right thing to do is to play this game hoping he will retire so they don't have to tell him he is cut.  If they really want to do the right thing, just be straight up with him and tell him he will be cut and when.  He was well over paid here.  We don't now need to walk on egg shells around him.  It might in fact benefit him as a team like Indy might pick him up, if they lose out on the stafford sweepstakes.

• Like 1

The fact that there’s been no rumors of Alex Smith being cut and no rumors tying Washington to any veteran QB via trade or FA leads me to believe that they are leaving the decision up to Alex & then going from there.

Maybe people don’t agree with that - which is evident - but that’s seems to be the case.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The fact that there’s been no rumors of Alex Smith being cut and no rumors tying Washington to any veteran QB via trade or FA leads me to believe that they are leaving the decision up to Alex & then going from there.

Maybe people don’t agree with that - which is evident - but that’s seems to be the case.

You wrote this before the Stafford trade, and the reports that we were majorly involved and probably co-finalists for him, but I feel like it’s been very strongly suggested that they’re deeply interested in acquiring a new veteran franchise QB. To the extent that I’m starting to feel a little lightheaded from all the smoke relating to their desire to give away 19 and more for a vet QB. 

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

You wrote this before the Stafford trade, and the reports that we were majorly involved and probably co-finalists for him, but I feel like it’s been very strongly suggested that they’re deeply interested in acquiring a new veteran franchise QB. To the extent that I’m starting to feel a little lightheaded from all the smoke relating to their desire to give away 19 and more for a vet QB. 

That is the first I am hearing that we were co-finalists for him.  Who was reporting that?  

16 hours ago, offbyone said:

What blows me away is the talk that Alex Smith gets to make the decision.  It is almost like everyone thinks the right thing to do is to play this game hoping he will retire so they don't have to tell him he is cut.  If they really want to do the right thing, just be straight up with him and tell him he will be cut and when.  He was well over paid here.  We don't now need to walk on egg shells around him.  It might in fact benefit him as a team like Indy might pick him up, if they lose out on the stafford sweepstakes.

Some things extend beyond the football field.  When you have the reputation that this organization does of treating players like garbage over the past decade, you have PR work to do.  Letting Smith make this decision is the way to do that.  And there are worse QBs to have to mentor a young QB if we draft one, which I bet we do.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

I will say one good thing is that there were no leaks in us going that hard for Stafford. Seems to me Rivera may have closed off the leaky faucet when he replaced Kyle Smith.

I don’t mind giving up a few first round picks if we are getting an All-Pro caliber player. Look at the Rams now vs the Jaguars after the Ramsey trade.

I’ve said this before as have others but a lot of times I feel like we as fans overvalue picks vs good or great players. Now obviously picks matter to building a good and great team but if you can get an All-Pro caliber player for a few picks you do it bc that player will help make you a contender.

For all we know the 19th pick may when you being a bust for us while we all know Stafford is amongst the top 10 QBs in the NFL and w/ Brees & Big Ben not being the same as they were a few years ago, guys like Stafford are inching up towards being a top 5 QB.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I will say one good thing is that there were no leaks in us going that hard for Stafford. Seems to me Rivera may have closed off the leaky faucet when he replaced Kyle Smith.

I don’t mind giving up a few first round picks if we are getting an All-Pro caliber player. Look at the Rams now vs the Jaguars after the Ramsey trade.

I’ve said this before as have others but a lot of times I feel like we as fans overvalue picks vs good or great players. Now obviously picks matter to building a good and great team but if you can get an All-Pro caliber player for a few picks you do it bc that player will help make you a contender.

For all we know the 19th pick may when you being a bust for us while we all know Stafford is amongst the top 10 QBs in the NFL and w/ Brees & Big Ben not being the same as they were a few years ago, guys like Stafford are inching up towards being a top 5 QB.

Dude we just saw the Texans and we’ve done this with RG. If Stafford and Donald get hurt the lions could be getting a top 5 pick because that division is loaded. Just saying we gave the 2nd overall pick back to the Rams for RG. The Texas gave a 3rd overall for Tunsill. Both premier positions!!! The Rams are now so top heavy if they have one or two major injuries they could literally be the Texans next offseason. And the common thread for both teams; trading future draft picks

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Some things extend beyond the football field.  When you have the reputation that this organization does of treating players like garbage over the past decade, you have PR work to do.  Letting Smith make this decision is the way to do that.  And there are worse QBs to have to mentor a young QB if we draft one, which I bet we do.  

I don't agree.  And ask yourself, how does it look now that we tried to get stafford while still leaving Smith on the roster?  Was that treating him with the ultimate respect? 

Again if you really wanted to do the right thing by him, we should have released him already. 

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Dude we just saw the Texans and we’ve done this with RG. If Stafford and Donald get hurt the lions could be getting a top 5 pick because that division is loaded. Just saying we gave the 2nd overall pick back to the Rams for RG. The Texas gave a 3rd overall for Tunsill. Both premier positions!!! The Rams are now so top heavy if they have one or two major injuries they could literally be the Texans next offseason. And the common thread for both teams; trading future draft picks

Did you ever care to do any analysis on why the Texans were bad?

1. They traded away their best offensive player for picks. How’s that working out? That’s the opposite of what we’re talking about doing here.

2. Their NT got hurt, their starting Mike LB who calls the defense got hurt, one of their starting CBs got hurt and their starting safeties got hurt.

The defensive injuries turned their D from a top 10 D into one of the worst in the NFL.

55 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't agree.  And ask yourself, how does it look now that we tried to get stafford while still leaving Smith on the roster?  Was that treating him with the ultimate respect? 

Again if you really wanted to do the right thing by him, we should have released him already. 

Alex Smith is an adult, he understands it’s a business. They haven’t released Alex bc he’s currently still the best QB on their roster.

I don’t understand how keeping Alex as a bridge QB hurts this football team. If we signed a FA veteran it’d be the same thing, just a bridge QB until we hopefully find a long term answer.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Did you ever care to do any analysis on why the Texans were bad?

1. They traded away their best offensive player for picks. How’s that working out? That’s the opposite of what we’re talking about doing here.

2. Their NT got hurt, their starting Mike LB who calls the defense got hurt, one of their starting CBs got hurt and their starting safeties got hurt.

The defensive injuries turned their D from a top 10 D into one of the worst in the NFL.

Uhm I can give you a laundry list of why they are bad!!! Over drafting a OT from a small school who was a 3rd round prospect in round one. Trading future picks and making the most penalized OT by twice as many penalties from the 2nd most penalized player the highest paid player at his position. Trading away your best weapon for a 2nd and a injury and aging RB. A bad history of players outside of the few elite guys in Watson Watt and Hopkins has hindered the depth due to bad drafting while also not having high picks from the Watson and the Tunsil trades. The coaching staff not putting meaningful assets on the defensive side of the ball or replacing your 1st overall pick in Clowney. Injuries and no depth behind those players and your one real elite defender is starting to slow down I think there’s some analysis. I can keep going

9 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Uhm I can give you a laundry list of why they are bad!!! Over drafting a OT from a small school who was a 3rd round prospect in round one. Trading future picks and making the most penalized OT by twice as many penalties from the 2nd most penalized player the highest paid player at his position. Trading away your best weapon for a 2nd and a injury and aging RB. A bad history of players outside of the few elite guys in Watson Watt and Hopkins has hindered the depth due to bad drafting while also not having high picks from the Watson and the Tunsil trades. The coaching staff not putting meaningful assets on the defensive side of the ball or replacing your 1st overall pick in Clowney. Injuries and no depth behind those players and your one real elite defender is starting to slow down I think there’s some analysis. I can keep going

All true but last year they would’ve been a lot better if half of their defense wasn’t hurt. Again, NT, McKinley, Conley, & both starting safeties were hurt and out for the year at some point. 

Imagine how our D would be w/o Payne, Holcomb all year, Darby & not only Collins but Collins & Curl?

If we had that many injuries of our D our D would’ve been far worse which puts too much pressure on the passing game to have to be perfect like when Kirk was our QB which is usually unsustainable.

And again, they traded Hopkins away for picks. In a lot of people scenarios I’m reading the picks are more important than the great player, so why weren’t they better? They had picks for Hopkins they should’ve been better w/o him right?

😂

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

All true but last year they would’ve been a lot better if half of their defense wasn’t hurt. Again, NT, McKinley, Conley, & both starting safeties were hurt and out for the year at some point. 

Imagine how our D would be w/o Payne, Holcomb all year, Darby & not only Collins but Collins & Curl?

If we had that many injuries of our D our D would’ve been far worse which puts too much pressure on the passing game to have to be perfect like when Kirk was our QB which is usually unsustainable.

And again, they traded Hopkins away for picks. In a lot of people scenarios I’m reading the picks are more important than the great player, so why weren’t they better? They had picks for Hopkins they should’ve been better w/o him right?

😂

But that’s kinda what I mean. Remember when Jay got here and we had to completely rebuild the roster because RG didn’t pan out and when one player on any unit got hurt we looked lost. That’s the cost of bad asset management. When you overpay you lose fringe starter backups. When you don’t draft well you continue to develop holes. And the reason the Hopkins trade was bad was because they should have gotten a 1 plus. Diggs cost a 1!!! Again mismanagement of cost to return. They overpaid for Tunsil and got pennies for Hop. Trust me Bill OBrien the GM got Bill OBrien the coach fired and honestly he would have been fired if he mentioned to me he was thinking about the Hop trade return. I’m not generalizing any decision. Each move is calculated there’s a cost you pay or take and then theirs too much or a No. we should have traded for Hop for that cost period!!! Even with holes on the roster!!! But when your the Rams with a 38 year old LT and a RB with a injury history, QB with a broken back and back injuries he played through. If Donald gets hurt and Ramsey loses his cool because the defense can’t get pressure that team can look like Houston next offseason. And they have been with Houston in a bunch of the capital invested for guys while not really replacing or drafting capable guys behind them. 

basically this year Matt went down and Settle balled. You start trading assets and overpaying players that haven’t even developed into your system you lose all your settles, Matt’s, you don’t tend to have that Curl coming in when Collins gets hurt or the rotation at backers with a group of serviceable guys. We were hit by 4 QB injuries and we still found ways to endure injuries because we’ve built through the draft placing a premium on your development. Yes getting Watson puts us in a window today Quick fast and in a hurry. But 2 years we start losing guys a lot quicker then drafting one or even two this season on a rookie deal. And then all those guarantees what happens week 9 when he has a freak 3rd ACL tear this year? Your tied to that deal. Then we’re right back in the Alex Smith train where who knows what you have next year. Then we have none of the high picks to gamble at the position round one. These trades should net initial results. But teams that build through the draft while they have the ups and downs just like every team their falls tend not to be as low and their highs are more consistent year to year. That’s all I’m saying

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

😂

To simplify my book I agree with what your saying about the injuries. We’re on the same page but I’m just thinking about having better depth and being so top heavy with those contracts stripped them down and how hard it is to build when you don’t have the picks they willingly gave up. It’s the foresight part of knowing they needed a LT. But the logical move would have been to scout and plug a guy in with one of the Tunsil picks. It’s rushing your rosters growth and stunting the development. The Texans are a much deeper team with drafted players with the picks they traded for Tunsil. Especially in these last two classes loaded with OL. It’s what happens when your trying to accelerate your process while losing future assets. They rushed their window and ultimately cost them their two best players and maybe even Watt