2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

To simplify my book I agree with what your saying about the injuries. We’re on the same page but I’m just thinking about having better depth and being so top heavy with those contracts stripped them down and how hard it is to build when you don’t have the picks they willingly gave up. It’s the foresight part of knowing they needed a LT. But the logical move would have been to scout and plug a guy in with one of the Tunsil picks. It’s rushing your rosters growth and stunting the development. The Texans are a much deeper team with drafted players with the picks they traded for Tunsil. Especially in these last two classes loaded with OL. It’s what happens when your trying to accelerate your process while losing future assets. They rushed their window and ultimately cost them their two best players and maybe even Watt

I think the main way they screwed up was by trading Hopkins. You take the Hopkins trade out of it and he’s still in Houston last year, their D stays healthy last year and I think they’re a playoff team again and may have even won the division.

But, taking Hopkins’s playmaking & consistency off the offense last year and then throwing in all their defensive injuries it turned what probably would’ve been a 11-5 or 10-6 team in 2020 into a 4-12 team.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think the main way they screwed up was by trading Hopkins. You take the Hopkins trade out of it, their D stays healthy last year and I think they’re a playoffs team again and may have even won the division but, taking Hopkins’s playmaking & consistency  off the offense and then throwing in all their defensive injuries it turned what probably would’ve been a 11-5 or 10-6 team last year instead of a 4-12 team.

I  agree. But they are a 4-12 team. And why would Watson look at their draft picks and say man we can really improve this year and next? What on that roster moving forward makes Desean say the way they’ve gotten here that he should trust them to fix the mess they’ve made?

14 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I  agree. But they are a 4-12 team. And why would Watson look at their draft picks and say man we can really improve this year and next? What on that roster moving forward makes Desean say the way they’ve gotten here that he should trust them to fix the mess they’ve made?

Well Watson shouldn’t feel they can really improve the team a lot short of getting hurt 2020 players back which will make them better. There’s also this thing where Watson is under contract with them. The Texans don’t have to trade him. If their D stays healthy next year I could see the Texans bouncing back. The Colts are likley going to be worse since Rivera retired and they lost out on Stafford.

So, it’s quite possible that if the Texans D stays healthy next year that they’ll be back to being in contention  for winning their division w/o even making many changes. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Alex Smith is an adult, he understands it’s a business. They haven’t released Alex bc he’s currently still the best QB on their roster.

I don’t understand how keeping Alex as a bridge QB hurts this football team. If we signed a FA veteran it’d be the same thing, just a bridge QB until we hopefully find a long term answer.

The discussion point was in regards to doing the right thing by Alex Smith.  

I can give you 14 million reasons that would help us sign a long term starter rather than a 1 year player.  We all know and the coaches clearly agree, that Kyle Allen can do the same thing as Alex Smith.  Why do we waste the money?  It isn't like Alex Smith is truly a young qb whisperer.  If he was Haskins would have matured.   

Alex Smith will be here 1 year.  We can sign an adequate vet for less that will be here longer or a more expensive vet who will also be much better.  

I know Derek Carr and Gruden has had a rocky relationship but I wonder if he would be available and if so how much would it take. He’s not Deshaun Watson but it wouldn’t cost a Kings ransom either. I believe he’s more than capable to have success here. Mariota would be a 2nd option but would rather have DC. 

41 minutes ago, offbyone said:

The discussion point was in regards to doing the right thing by Alex Smith.  

I can give you 14 million reasons that would help us sign a long term starter rather than a 1 year player.  We all know and the coaches clearly agree, that Kyle Allen can do the same thing as Alex Smith.  Why do we waste the money?  It isn't like Alex Smith is truly a young qb whisperer.  If he was Haskins would have matured.   

Alex Smith will be here 1 year.  We can sign an adequate vet for less that will be here longer or a more expensive vet who will also be much better.  

I’ve explained why for a long time that keeping Alex as bridge QB is a good idea and Alex showed last year why keeping him as a bridge QB is a good idea bc he led the team to a 5-1 record as a starter.. I can’t help that you don’t except my reasoning.

Also, has Rivera cut Alex Smith yet?

Don't you think if Rivera absolutely was going to move on from Alex - no matter what - that he would’ve cut Alex by now?

Yet... yep just checked... Alex is still on the roster.

Which tells me the only way Alex won’t be on the roster next year is if they trade for or sign a veteran who they view as a definite upgrade.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve explained why for a long time that keeping Alex as bridge QB is a good idea and Alex showed last year why keeping him as a bridge QB is a good idea bc he led the team to a 5-1 record as a starter.. I can’t help that you don’t except my reasoning.

Also, has Rivera cut Alex Smith yet?

Don't you think if Rivera absolutely was going to move on from Alex - no matter what - that he would’ve cut Alex by now?

Yet... yep just checked... Alex is still on the roster.

Which tells me the only way Alex won’t be on the roster next year is if they trade for or sign a veteran who they view as a definite upgrade.

From what I understand I think Alex has to come out and decide what he plans on doing next year whether that’s playing or retiring. He’s never publicly came out and said what he plans to do

if he plans to retire I’m pretty sure they will save more money than just out right cutting him

i think that’s what they are waiting on

but also like you said if they plan to draft a QB I could see him still being in the team

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know Derek Carr and Gruden has had a rocky relationship but I wonder if he would be available and if so how much would it take. He’s not Deshaun Watson but it wouldn’t cost a Kings ransom either. I believe he’s more than capable to have success here. Mariota would be a 2nd option but would rather have DC. 

I don’t understand why we would want to trade for Carr or Mariota. Carr is good enough to just get you to the playoffs and Marriota hasn’t shown he can even be a good consistent passer.

I wouldn’t trade for either of them. Trading for Carr would be like trading for the equivalent of Kirk to me & trading for Mariota would be like trading for last years version of Cam Newton.

Instead of trading for Mariota or Carr we should just sign another FA QB like:

Newton, Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Jameis Winston, Mitch Trubisky or Jacoby Brisset.

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I see this as a given . Someone without a handicap sticker on their vehicle.

Ashley Olsen Reaction GIF by Filmeditor

Ha, the handicapped QB who just so happens to be the best QB this team has had on this roster since 2018. One of those seems like a big issue and...

Hint, it’s not the QB who you in very bad taste call handicapped.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ashley Olsen Reaction GIF by Filmeditor

Ha, the handicapped QB who just so happens to be the best QB this team has had on this roster since 2018. One of those seems like a big issue and...

Hint, it’s not the QB who you in very bad taste call handicapped.

I think a guy that has to wear a prosthetic to lift his foot can qualify as handicap. 

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t understand why we would want to trade for Carr or Mariota. Carr is good enough to just get you to the playoffs and Marriota hasn’t shown he can even be a good consistent passer.

I wouldn’t trade for either of them. Trading for Carr would be like trading for the equivalent of Kirk to me & trading for Mariota would be like trading for last years version of Cam Newton.

Instead of trading for Mariota or Carr we should just sign another FA QB like:

Newton, Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Jameis Winston, Mitch Trubisky or Jacoby Brisset.

IMO, Derek Carr would be much better than any QBs that you mentioned. I believe you can go far in the playoffs and SB with him. 

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

IMO, Derek Carr would be much better than any QBs that you mentioned. I believe you can go far in the playoffs and SB with him. 

The main issue I have with Carr is we’ll have to give up picks to get him, he’s not a a FA.

And if Carr can go far in the playoffs and lead a team to the Super Bowl possibly why isn’t he doing that with the Raiders?

I think Carr is a good QB but he’s never wowed and looked like a Super Bowl type QB.